Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Senators strike bipartisan gun deal

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
Exactly nobody is having their right to keep or bear arms encroached upon.

As I’ve noted previously gun rights have expanded significantly over the past few decades. There really isn’t much for gun owners to complain about currently.
Just my opinion, but “currently” is not what anyone needs to worry about. The “little by little” is their plan...and don’t be stupid in thinking they don’t have one.

Just my opinion, but “currently” is not what anyone needs to worry about. The “little by little” is their plan...and don’t be stupid in thinking they don’t have one.
Little by little you’re getting more gun rights and not the other way around.

In 1930 The Supreme Court ruled owning a firearm was a collective right such as to those in the military. Since then gun rights have expanded with the individual right to own a firearm confirmed in a Supreme Court decision in 2008. Since 2008 the Justices have continued to expand gun rights including several opinions yet to be released this term that will no doubt continue to expand access to firearms.

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapons whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose," Justice Antonin Scalia

That is what Justice Scalia wrote in 2008 when the court confirmed an individual’s right to owning a firearm for those trolling this thread.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
Little by little you’re getting more gun rights and not the other way around.

In 1930 The Supreme Court ruled owning a firearm was a collective right such as to those in the military. Since then gun rights have expanded with the individual right to own a firearm confirmed in a Supreme Court decision in 2008. Since 2008 the Justices have continued to expand gun rights including several opinions yet to be released this term that will no doubt continue to expand access to firearms.

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapons whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose," Justice Antonin Scalia

That is what Justice Scalia wrote in 2008 when the court confirmed an individual’s right to owning a firearm for those trolling this thread.
Who is trolling?

I respect their right to their opinion. You don’t?
I accept that they probably have an opinion on the topic. Do I respect what their writing as an honest attempt at discussion on the topic? No not at all.

What they’re doing would be akin to saying the Jacksonville Jaguars were the best team in the NFL last year. They certainly might feel that way but if I assume they are knowledgeable on the topic then of course they would never suggest such a thing. Hence I have to assume they are trolling especially since @ChicagoFats seems like a knowledgeable and honest poster in the stock thread.

I get that I’m the new guy but I’m genuinely interested in discussing current events on this forum.

Nobody died and made you king...so if you can’t handle that...I don’t know what to tell you. Your opinion is just that...
I’m not even arguing for my personal opinion in this thread.

I’m just sharing information so we have a baseline to move forward. For example, if someone’s personal opinion is further right on the spectrum than Justice Scalia then that person is somewhere out in right field on the topic since Scalia is a hardcore right winger.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary

I’m just sharing information so we have a baseline to move forward. For example, if someone’s personal opinion is further right on the spectrum than Justice Scalia then that person is somewhere out in right field on the topic since Scalia is a hardcore right winger.
As I said...nobody died and made you or your opinions king.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

I just think the constitution means something. We are a country that has laws and if the laws don’t mean anything as they are written we will fail to have a country.

I do concede that all rights are not absolute. For example, the first amendment protects free speech, yet you can’t stand up in a movie theater and yell “fire” putting others in danger. I respect that.

At the same time, the second amendment is clear in that it says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. The government, and really anyone in a position of power, tend to overstep their authority. To me, this has never been more evident than the governments response to Covid AND the framing of Donald J Trump via Russian Collusion. It made it clear that we need to have the right to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.

Should there be some restraints on gun ownership? Mentally challenged people, yes. But outside of that, there should not be much limitation on gun rights. We have laws which makes our country. If you don’t like the laws vote to change them. That’s how a society operates. If we don’t have laws or only selectively enforce, then we don’t really have a country.

I’m not trolling, I just lost all trust in our government with the way the people in power have abused their power recently and I believe, stronger than ever, that the populace needs to maintain its right to be armed, just as our constitution states. The founders new exactly what they were doing making that the second amendment.

I just think the constitution means something. We are a country that has laws and if the laws don’t mean anything as they are written we will fail to have a country.

I do concede that all rights are not absolute. For example, the first amendment protects free speech, yet you can’t stand up in a movie theater and yell “fire” putting others in danger. I respect that.

At the same time, the second amendment is clear in that it says the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. The government, and really anyone in a position of power, tend to overstep their authority. To me, this has never been more evident than the governments response to Covid AND the framing of Donald J Trump via Russian Collusion. It made it clear that we need to have the right to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.

Should there be some restraints on gun ownership? Mentally challenged people, yes. But outside of that, there should not be much limitation on gun rights. We have laws which makes our country. If you don’t like the laws vote to change them. That’s how a society operates. If we don’t have laws or only selectively enforce, then we don’t really have a country.

I’m not trolling, I just lost all trust in our government with the way the people in power have abused their power recently and I believe, stronger than ever, that the populace needs to maintain its right to be armed, just as our constitution states. The founders new exactly what they were doing making that the second amendment.
I agree that there are laws and that is how a civilized society operates.

With that in mind it seems like many here have a problem with the ideas of there being any laws at all on the topic.

For example, we could have background checks, red flags laws, and bans of semiautomatic & automatic firearms nationwide and people would still be keeping and bearing arms without infringement as described in the 2nd amendment.

When considering “infringed” we should look to Justice Scalia’s words to lead us towards a constitutional end.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
I agree that there are laws and that is how a civilized society operates.

With that in mind it seems like many here have a problem with the ideas of there being any laws at all on the topic.

For example, we could have background checks, red flags laws, and bans of semiautomatic & automatic firearms nationwide and people would still be keeping and bearing arms without infringement as described in the 2nd amendment.

When considering “infringed” we should look to Justice Scalia’s words to lead us towards a constitutional end.
When you have a political party that has so little regard for the Constitution...and is willing to go to any means to get their way, why would any of us have any good feelings about any of this? It’s not the law abiding citizens that are causing the problems...

PleasureMoose

Legendary
Furthermore, of course I support what I and many other patriots fought for in Vietnam! America has a responsibility to her citizens to defend their interests across the whole globe. Having countries fall to communism means fewer choices and less security for Americans and I wasn’t going to allow that without a fight.

You can feel however you want about those rice patties but considering I lost friends and spilled blood in those fields I think I’m capable of deciding for myself what “supporting our troops” is.
@t_money86

i dont take kindly to stolen valor

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
I don’t see any way a federal red flag law happens now or in the future.

It seems most likely that Congress will pass a law providing funding for states to pass their own red flag laws. I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Let the states who want to opt in do so and let the rest be.
Yeah, I would’ve said nothing that we are seeing now could happen a few years back...🙄

TJHall1

Legendary
Well yeah, those are all exactly the reasons that we need to be armed! /thread
Why for the last 4 years has Florida not experienced rampant abuse of these laws? Why for the last 4 years in Florida are innocent civilians not having their guns confiscated every day?

Why can no one answer these questions??

I know why, I just want to hear it from you clowns who think laws to keep guns out of crazies hands somehow means the Dems are coming to your house to seize your arms. It's hilarious.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
Red flag laws are the opening that the communists need to see something you post online that they deem “unstable” and send their goons to your door to take your guns. As long as you have the right people in your state in charge, you won’t see it...but that can change with one crooked election.

Top Bottom