Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Support our Community

We're proud to offer an ad-free experience and valuable content thanks to the support of our TFSF members. If you enjoy what we do and want to help us continue providing the best experience, consider joining our Patreon

For $15 a month, you can help us cover costs, support growth, and ensure we keep having fun!

Your support makes a difference. Thank you!

Food related: @Nape ‘s hot sauce is off the charts incredible. Purchase it if you ever can.

Hutchhawk

Elite
Founder
Fuck yea!! It’s good on just about anything. And this is the mellow DLJ. I can kick it up with ghost or habanero. This batch has 18oz of cayenne mash and 2oz habanero. Just to add a little something to it.
Let me if you need a partner to take this National

Yep00

Poster
Glad you like it. It still needs to meld a bit longer but the umami is still there. In a week or two it’ll be a bit more harmonious.
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I'll go ahead and request for the next batch as well haha, sounds like the longer meld will change it up some.

Nape

Elite
Founder
I still really like the idea of making regional DLJ’s. We could market it as a regional product and then make “blends” of different regional mashes for a “meritage” type sauce. It could get interesting.

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
I'm in for the growing.

Got mine today as well. Tasted good on the finger, but I'm gonna let it mellow a couple weeks to get the full effect.

Thanks again, @Nape

Hutchhawk

Elite
Founder
I still really like the idea of making regional DLJ’s. We could market it as a regional product and then make “blends” of different regional mashes for a “meritage” type sauce. It could get interesting.
I know some guys in KC that could help with guidance if serious.

Nape

Elite
Founder
The whole key is finding enough space to grow the peppers. I have literally 1000s of seeds from the last 20+ years so we have that covered.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
I didn’t get them out until late TH night. When I keyed up the label on stamps.com I didn’t realize that yesterday was a holiday. I thought most would get it yesterday or today but it’s delayed a day.
Honestly with the storms I am suprised it made it all the way to Florida and our chilly 70 degree weekend.

Loudog

Poster
Glad you like it. It still needs to meld a bit longer but the umami is still there. In a week or two it’ll be a bit more harmonious.
Sounds good, I'll let it meld a bit longer. Was still delicious on the tacos regardless

bigassmoney

Poster
Founder
mHRNB-aS6He4_3hXd0S6HnB97KyYjLY1Jog8keI1IVw.jpg

Loudog

Poster
Letting it rest is easier said than done. 😎
So I was still a little hungry and just had one of my guilty pleasure late night stoner snacks, a frozen burrito. My move with them is to just dump a bunch of hot sauce(usually texas pete or currently Valentina's) on the plate and mop it up with each bite of the burrito. After doing that and getting a more full and true taste of the sauce on it's own, I can definitely tell it needs time to blend together more. So I'll be patiently waiting a couple weeks for it to come together fully. It'll be worth it for sure imo.

Nape

Elite
Founder
So I was still a little hungry and just had one of my guilty pleasure late night stoner snacks, a frozen burrito. My move with them is to just dump a bunch of hot sauce(usually texas pete or currently Valentina's) on the plate and mop it up with each bite of the burrito. After doing that and getting a more full and true taste of the sauce on it's own, I can definitely tell it needs time to blend together more. So I'll be patiently waiting a couple weeks for it to come together fully. It'll be worth it for sure imo.
When I make it I normally let it rest in my cave fridge for a month. I made this a little over 10 days ago. It only gets better. This years mash was super fruity and not very hot. I added some of my 2019 dried cayenne to the finished sauce and it added a little something different. I think that dried needs to reconstitute and mellow.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder

Still have the claim on Va Beach and Austin.

Icculus

Poster
I’m down with the Vid so gonna wait until I feel a little better to try it out. Sounds like I can wait a few weeks. I better not lose my taste between now and then or I’ll be very pissed at the China Virus.

thenick_ttu

Elite
Founder
My bottle was delivered today. Had a quick taste and can’t wait to put it on some breakfast tacos tomorrow. Then I’ll let it sit for a few weeks. Thanks @Nape !

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
An acre gets me more than enough. I have a few acres already for 2021. I want to get multiple plots around the country. My process works and makes an umami sauce that pretty much everyone that tried it loves it.

An acre of peppers? That’s big home garden.
I live on 9 acres and we grew 8 tomato plants in 4x8 planter boxes and it was a lot of tomatoes. I couldn’t imagine trying to tend to an acre.

I’ve been following the thread since you started it and the only reason I didn’t put in a request is that you had limited quantity. I don’t have as fine an appreciation for food as most people so I figured I would let the people who really love food enjoy it. I do like growing vegetables though and would love to be a part of this process.

Nape

Elite
Founder
I live on 9 acres and we grew 8 tomato plants in 4x8 planter boxes and it was a lot of tomatoes. I couldn’t imagine trying to tend to an acre.

I’ve been following the thread since you started it and the only reason I didn’t put in a request is that you had limited quantity. I don’t have as fine an appreciation for food as most people so I figured I would let the people who really love food enjoy it. I do like growing vegetables though and would love to be a part of this process.
Yea, it is a whole lotta peppers for sure. But to make a lot of DLJ I need a lot of peppers. I have a decent sized area at the house and have 4 friends who will grow for me. It probably isn’t an acre in total but it’s close. I think I can grow about 10-12 thousand plants in that kind of area. My experience is about 3/4 of a pound of cayenne’s per plant per season. That would be enough for quite a few barrels of mash. My recipe would give me about 25 bottles per pound of mash, give or take.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Yea, it is a whole lotta peppers for sure. But to make a lot of DLJ I need a lot of peppers. I have a decent sized area at the house and have 4 friends who will grow for me. It probably isn’t an acre in total but it’s close. I think I can grow about 10-12 thousand plants in that kind of area. My experience is about 3/4 of a pound of cayenne’s per plant per season. That would be enough for quite a few barrels of mash. My recipe would give me about 25 bottles per pound of mash, give or take.

Do you want each man to grow an acre or are you looking for an acre in total? Now that I think about it, it has to be total, right? Because how could I ship you an acre of peppers?

I will grow some for this. Just tell me which ones you want me to plant.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Do you want each man to grow an acre or are you looking for an acre in total? Now that I think about it, it has to be total, right? Because how could I ship you an acre of peppers?

I will grow some for this. Just tell me which ones you want me to plant.
Yea. An acre is way too much for one person. A shit load of work for sure. If I can get 20 people to grow 10-20 plants then we’d be on point.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
Just got my sauce. Tastes great. I’ll put it in the fridge for awhile to
finish aging.

Nape, send me some seeds and I will plant them. I’m going to atart
roto tilling as soon as it gets dry enough.

I think I can plant in early to mid April here.

Thanks for the sauce. I know it was a lot of work.

Last edited:

Icculus

Poster
Yea. An acre is way too much for one person. A shit load of work for sure. If I can get 20 people to grow 10-20 plants then we’d be on point.

I’d definitely like to help grow some peppers if you get to that point. They’d go perfect next to my basil, rosemary, and thyme. Thanks again for the sauce!

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

How many peppers are harvested from each plant? Never tried growing them

Nape

Elite
Founder
How many peppers are harvested from each plant? Never tried growing them
Depending on length of growing season 3/4 to 1 1/4 pounds per plant. I’d imagine that would be a lot more down south. My plants typically are full of fruit come first frost. I hang the plants in my garage and let the green peppers turn red and then dry them. I grind as needed. Soooo much better than the garbage dried cayenne you get at the store.

Last edited:

Yep00

Poster
Finally got mine in today, much much appreciated. Going to let it percolate in the back of the fridge for a couple of weeks so I don't get tempted, can't wait.

Top Bottom