Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Dance Your Cares Away/Fraggle/Law Abiding Citizens

Master Threads

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder
Who is up for Fyre Fest II?

Fyre Festival was a failed, fraudulently marketed luxury music festival founded by Billy McFarland, CEO of Fyre Media Inc, and rapper Ja Rule. It was created with the intent of promoting the company's Fyre app for booking music talent. The festival was scheduled to take place on April 28–30 and May 5–7, 2017, on the Bahamian island of Great Exuma .

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Had a lively discussion with a friend this weekend. The subject was the officials holding the offense from running plays until the defense had a chance to substitute. It's a silly rule.

My friend said it was only fair that the defense had the opportunity to substitute if the offense does. ??

The way I learned to play football and did play was the offense could do anything and it was incumbent on the defense to adjust, be called for too many players on the field if substituting, be out of alignment or have to call a timeout. He said that wasn't fair in this age of hurry up offenses. Again, either have the defensive players adjust or be caught with wrong personnel or call a time out.

If fairness is what the reasoning for the official to stop play. Why isn't the offense simply mandated to give the defense the play? Or maybe give the offense the defenses alignment--after all it's unfair for the defense to play a zone defense when the offense thought they would be in man to man.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Fyre Festival was a failed, fraudulently marketed luxury music festival founded by Billy McFarland, CEO of Fyre Media Inc, and rapper Ja Rule. It was created with the intent of promoting the company's Fyre app for booking music talent. The festival was scheduled to take place on April 28–30 and May 5–7, 2017, on the Bahamian island of Great Exuma .

The Netflix documentary was worth a watch. An absolute shit show of an event.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
Had a lively discussion with a friend this weekend. The subject was the officials holding the offense from running plays until the defense had a chance to substitute. It's a silly rule.

My friend said it was only fair that the defense had the opportunity to substitute if the offense does. ??

The way I learned to play football and did play was the offense could do anything and it was incumbent on the defense to adjust, be called for too many players on the field if substituting, be out of alignment or have to call a timeout. He said that wasn't fair in this age of hurry up offenses. Again, either have the defensive players adjust or be caught with wrong personnel or call a time out.

If fairness is what the reasoning for the official to stop play. Why isn't the offense simply mandated to give the defense the play? Or maybe give the offense the defenses alignment--after all it's unfair for the defense to play a zone defense when the offense thought they would be in man to man.
I think the rule is that if the offense makes substitutions, the defense must be allowed to do the same...if the offense chooses to go with what’s on the field, there is no allowance....I think it makes sense. The offense has a distinct advantage in the situation as it controls when the ball is snapped. This is not the game you or I played...
“hurry up,” mass substitution and specialization is a constant part of today’s game.

Last edited:

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
I think the rule is that if the offense makes substitutions, the defense must be allowed to do the same...if the offense chooses to go with what’s on the field, there is no allowance....
I know what the rule is but it's still silly. I played and the majority of football was played (until recently) where the defense made adjustments or got caught. We never had to give the defense the opportunity to match substitutions.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
I know what the rule is but it's still silly. I played and the majority of football was played (until recently) where the defense made adjustments or got caught. We never had to give the defense the opportunity to match substitutions.
If you haven’t noticed, this is not the same game that you and I played...mass substitution, specialization, hurry up...

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
If you haven’t noticed, this is not the same game that you and I played...mass substitution, specialization, hurry up...
I know it is but if the offense subs then the defense should play them with what they have on the field or run the chance of being offsides, too many men on the field, out of position or with the wrong players. Currently the offense makes a sub and the defense lollygags while the play clock tics off seconds. That's unfair to the offense. What this does is take the ability of the offense getting an advantage on the defense which is what football is/was about.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
I know it is but if the offense subs then the defense should play them with what they have on the field or run the chance of being offsides, too many men on the field, out of position or with the wrong players. Currently the offense makes a sub and the defense lollygags while the play clock tics off seconds. That's unfair to the offense. What this does is take the ability of the offense getting an advantage on the defense which is what football is/was about.
So the offense, being able to make strategic substitutions against what they see on the defense and controlling the snap is fair but allowing the defense to counter is not? Gotcha...

Top Bottom