Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Stonks/Options/Investing - come build your tfsf yolo stock portfolio

Master Threads

ThetaMale

Poster
Agreed with that sentiment. I high dividend yield is often indicative of other troubles. I can't short a stock under $10, just not that much upside.

Gonna have to find somewhere else to play. But i do like the REITS. I dont pay much attention to them but would thin you could find pockets of value in places.

How have REITS performed in rising interest rate environment? I think rates will rise to a certain point and then steady out or even have to be lowered again. Will be interesting to see how that correlates to the rEITS

Theta - are you an options trader?

I haven't researched the performance in times on inflation, but that sounds like something I can look into. It's funny that you mention rates continuing up and then being cut again, because the bond market is showing rates being cut as soon as next year I think, but without a doubt by 2024.

How is everyone handling their investments right now?

I rebalanced my 401k today from 90% stocks/10% bonds to more of a 60% stocks/40% bonds.

I made a few real estate investment purchases in 2020, but that market looks like its heated up too much as well.

I also own a few individual stocks that are gold mining companies and energy companies (but pretty small holdings compared to the rest of the portfolio).

Basically attempting to hedge strongly against inflation, but going forward over the next year I'm not seeing the path other than be a little more conservative and wait and see.
How much of that is shit that is ACTUALLY worth a fuck? 0%

MalO

Elite
I'm all-in on GME. This is the hill I die on. Either I get rich from a short squeeze or I take my shares to my grave having lived the life of a very poor man.

To be honest having learned so much bullshit about our market these past 2 years, I wouldn't want to invest in anything else anyway. If I am able to cash out I won't be putting my money back into stocks. My money is safer being hidden under my bed.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Measures of U.S. inflation in September showed that the pace of price increases is still grinding lower, though at a slow and uneven pace.

Prices in the United States increased 0.4% from August to September, a slowdown from the previous month. Thursday’s report from the Labor Department also showed that annual consumer inflation in September was unchanged from a 3.7% rise in August.

And underlying inflation declined a bit: So-called core prices, which exclude volatile food and energy costs, climbed 4.1% in September from 12 months earlier, down from a 4.3% year-over-year pace in August. That is the smallest increase in the core measure in two years.

The rise in the supply of Treasuries that needs to be absorbed by the market is likely to loom large for a while. The federal government budget deficit has risen sharply this year and is projected to continue to rise, based on estimates provided by the Congressional Budget Office. At the same time, the Federal Reserve is stepping back from accumulating bonds on its balance sheet, removing a significant buyer of bonds from the market.

These concerns may limit how low yields can go as long as the economy is growing. However, in the long run, the correlation between deficits and interest rates is not a strong one. Inflation is a far greater driver of yields. Currently, the impact on inflation is likely to be limited because much of the rise in the deficit is due to higher interest costs, which don't tend to feed into inflation because they don't flow through to consumers or businesses.

On the demand side, concerns about foreign investors reducing their exposure to Treasuries appears overblown. Some countries, such as China, appear to be selling their Treasury holdings to support declining currencies. When a country's currency falls sharply, its central bank raises money through sales of their holdings to buy their own currencies. China's currency has fallen to nearly a seven-year low versus the dollar, which likely accounts for the selling. However, overall holdings of U.S. Treasuries by foreign investors remain near the record highs reached last year.

With U.S. interest rates still higher than those in most other major countries and the dollar's use in global transactions rising, foreign demand is likely to remain strong.

Over the long run the declining trend in inflation and softness in economic growth should allow yields to fall from current levels later this year and into 2024. It's likely to be a bumpy ride, given the cross currents in the market. It's very difficult to time the interest rate market. Waiting in short duration bonds until the Fed is done hiking rates increases reinvestment risk. Yields are at the highest levels in a decade and we don't expect them to stay that high for long.

Moreover, we believe that the Fed is done hiking rates in this cycle. In the past four cycles, 10-year Treasury yields peaked before the last rate hike and then tended to trend lower. It's unusual for long-term yields to peak after the last Fed rate hike. It hasn't happened since the 1970s and early 1980s. While we can't rule out a further rise in yields in the near term, we continue to see opportunities for investors to capture attractive nominal and real yields in their portfolios at current levels.

Another good inflation print!

"Although consumer prices rose faster than expected from a month ago, core inflation continues to lose speed and this report will not likely change the Fed's view that inflation will slow in the coming months as demand slows," said Jeffrey Roach, chief economist at LPL Financial. "Eventually, spending will moderate after several months of consumers spending more than they earn."

Latest posts

Top Bottom