Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Stonks/Options/Investing - come build your tfsf yolo stock portfolio

Master Threads

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
I guess at this point the idea that gold is an inflation hedge is completely obliterated. I legitimately feel bad for the gold bug investors. I got caught up in the hype about 10 years back, but thank goodness I dropped out of that mindset

Agreed. I was thinking real estate and equities (stock market). Those two have performed well since the money printing began after covid.

Gold, BTC and a few other things have not lived up to their expectations.
Demand.

Houses and products (blue chip companies) are in demand.

Gold and Bitcoin aren’t. The “world / economic system is coming to an end” folks are eating more and more crow by the day and it’s reflected in the demand for those products.

Buying the dip is making stocks even more attractive right now.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Agreed. I was thinking real estate and equities (stock market). Those two have performed well since the money printing began after covid.

Gold, BTC and a few other things have not lived up to their expectations.
I think equities is a great answer that is not obvious to many because it's kind of hidden in plain sight

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
Wake up sleepy joe!
He doesn’t need to. Banks and former Dem cabinet members are setting very dire expectations for the economy. We are being conditioned to accept anemic growth and 5% inflation in the coming quarters as Joe Biden’s and the Dems’ leadership saving us from the jaws of economic disaster.

ThetaMale

Poster
Right now, I'm mainly holding energy. However, I'm looking into a few South American companies now that seem promising, and I may post some of my valuations in the future. I'm finding TONS of value in Brazil and Argentina, so if anyone is hunting seems to be a good spot. There are also a few companies in America that I have my eye on, but right now, I'm finding some crazy good values down south. In addition, I'm seeing some crazy good dividend yield rates for the price I'm paying, talking like > 9% yields with the cash flows to support it.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Right now, I'm mainly holding energy. However, I'm looking into a few South American companies now that seem promising, and I may post some of my valuations in the future. I'm finding TONS of value in Brazil and Argentina, so if anyone is hunting seems to be a good spot. There are also a few companies in America that I have my eye on, but right now, I'm finding some crazy good values down south. In addition, I'm seeing some crazy good dividend yield rates for the price I'm paying, talking like > 9% yields with the cash flows to support it.
Do share!

ThetaMale

Poster
REIT‘s pay yields like that. Pick ones that have been doing it for a while, and hold them long term. If interest rates go higher, then these prices will fall. Just be happy with the dividend
Yeah, I'm a massive fan of REITs; they are super stable investments. Rent prices have been so consistent in their growth, and being able to capitalize on that is excellent. I'm just finding crazy good values elsewhere and would park my money where I'll receive solid growth and income.

Do share!

Right now, I'm looking into TEO. They've had some good years until recently; they've done very well. They can still turn it around if you look at the numbers in their reports. However, I'm not sure if there's some systemic issue that has led to the bad years or if they're riding the same struggle bus the rest of the world has been on the past couple of years. I'm seeing some stuff in their reports making me lean towards systemic issues. For example, they're doing things like adding in foreign exchange differences as income, and they started paying a dividend right as they started losing money.

A company I'm holding right now is Petroleo Brasileiro (PBR). If I'm honest, that's the company I'm most excited about. Each time I do my valuation, it comes out SEVERLY undervalued. The cheapest 10yr terminal value I've come up with has doubled its per-share price. They pay a significant dividend as well. So even if I'm wrong about my valuation, I still get a decent return from the dividends.

Timothy

Elite
I had some AGNC in the past, but they did go through a bad spot in 2013 and they lowered their dividend. I got out instead of holding it. Today the yield is over 12%, and also is at a historically low price.

hmmm.....

edit: just looked at PBR... wow, crazy yield with a low PE. What's the risk?

Last edited:

ThetaMale

Poster
I had some AGNC in the past, but they did go through a bad spot in 2013 and they lowered their dividend. I got out instead of holding it. Today the yield is over 12%, and also is at a historically low price.

hmmm.....

edit: just looked at PBR... wow, crazy yield with a low PE. What's the risk?
Heavy state influence.

EDIT: However, my thesis is based on the dividends and I'm sitting on their earnings calls and watching them for ANY sign of pulling back on that dividend. They've set a very aggressive target and on their most recent earnings call they've said they plan to maintain it for several years. Their stated goal is to pay back shareholders through the dividend. Watch that and if they start to dip on that it's time to dip on them. That's how I'm approaching it at least.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Yeah, I'm a massive fan of REITs; they are super stable investments. Rent prices have been so consistent in their growth, and being able to capitalize on that is excellent. I'm just finding crazy good values elsewhere and would park my money where I'll receive solid growth and income.

Right now, I'm looking into TEO. They've had some good years until recently; they've done very well. They can still turn it around if you look at the numbers in their reports. However, I'm not sure if there's some systemic issue that has led to the bad years or if they're riding the same struggle bus the rest of the world has been on the past couple of years. I'm seeing some stuff in their reports making me lean towards systemic issues. For example, they're doing things like adding in foreign exchange differences as income, and they started paying a dividend right as they started losing money.

A company I'm holding right now is Petroleo Brasileiro (PBR). If I'm honest, that's the company I'm most excited about. Each time I do my valuation, it comes out SEVERLY undervalued. The cheapest 10yr terminal value I've come up with has doubled its per-share price. They pay a significant dividend as well. So even if I'm wrong about my valuation, I still get a decent return from the dividends.
TEO is a fixed line telephone service? Thats like a dinasour, right?

Not sure I want to long term invest in something that is almost certainly going to disappear in the future.

Edit: I guess they also provide mobile telephone services .... Still not very sexy. And I see dividend yield as zero

1659531787461.png

ThetaMale

Poster
TEO is a fixed line telephone service? Thats like a dinasour, right?

Not sure I want to long term invest in something that is almost certainly going to disappear in the future.

Edit: I guess they also provide mobile telephone services .... Still not very sexy. And I see dividend yield as zero

View attachment 124862
I just looked at the numbers last night they did just start paying a dividend 1659532888035.png
From what I saw they do have wireless and I was going to look at how that was growing this evening. However, I'm leaning towards short side of the trade too. Either they're gonna turn it around soon or they're donezos.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the fact that they're paying such a high dividend in their current situation to me doesn't look good. They're clearly struggling and need the money so why are they paying it out?

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I just looked at the numbers last night they did just start paying a dividend View attachment 124863
From what I saw they do have wireless and I was going to look at how that was growing this evening. However, I'm leaning towards short side of the trade too. Either they're gonna turn it around soon or they're donezos.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the fact that they're paying such a high dividend in their current situation to me doesn't look good. They're clearly struggling and need the money so why are they paying it out?
Agreed with that sentiment. I high dividend yield is often indicative of other troubles. I can't short a stock under $10, just not that much upside.

Gonna have to find somewhere else to play. But i do like the REITS. I dont pay much attention to them but would thin you could find pockets of value in places.

How have REITS performed in rising interest rate environment? I think rates will rise to a certain point and then steady out or even have to be lowered again. Will be interesting to see how that correlates to the rEITS

Theta - are you an options trader?

Latest posts

Top Bottom