Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Stonks/Options/Investing - come build your tfsf yolo stock portfolio

Master Threads

Volvulus

Poster
I got on last night. Im pretty new to discord so was suprised I got in. If there is a way I can help let me knpw. DO you need a link or does that not even help?

Appreciate it. There’s a link on the Reddit itself, which acts like an invite. But then it says discord is full. Maybe there’s another secret invite but it seemed like that was the issue.

Volvulus

Poster
The legality of this seems to be in such a grey area. As someone who works for a Broker / Dealer I would never be able to talk to anyone about trades I do in the product i trade (different than my own personal money). However, I heard this reddit board has been given the go ahead by a lawyer on the basis of free speech. Interesting to say the least.

you also have to wonder how organic this “movement” is. Did a group of random redditors really start this to say fuck you to walk street shorters? Or did a another Wall St group smell blood in the water?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Appreciate it. There’s a link on the Reddit itself, which acts like an invite. But then it says discord is full. Maybe there’s another secret invite but it seemed like that was the issue.
That was the link i used. Don't think there is another secret link

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Just read this article from Bloomberg:

Can someone explain it to me like I am 5; what's happening here?
So Gamestop was deemed a doomed company by many institutional investors. So many of the institutional investors set up short sells that will bring them profit as the Gamestop stock price falls.

But a collective group formed on Reddit to artificially inflate the stock price to push back against the institutional investors. As the group shoves money into Gamestop, the stock price goes up and the Institutional guys are on the hook for massive fees and losses for their short contracts.

SoonerMD09

Elite
So Gamestop was deemed a doomed company by many institutional investors. So many of the institutional investors set up short sells that will bring them profit as the Gamestop stock price falls.

But a collective group formed on Reddit to artificially inflate the stock price to push back against the institutional investors. As the group shoves money into Gamestop, the stock price goes up and the Institutional guys are on the hook for massive fees and losses for their short contracts.
How long is that sustainable for a failing company?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
How long is that sustainable for a failing company?

There is some argument as to if its really a failing company. Just signed some agreement with Microsoft i believe and more people than ever are playing video games due to the Rona and microsoft just realeased the new xbox and sony just released the new playstation.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I view the whole thing as a younger generation taking on the old guard.

For too long people at hedge funds have been able to go on CNBC (think bill ackman and herbalife) and scream about how a company is going bankrupt while they are short the shares. THats should no more be legal than what is going on with the reddit crowd.

Its kind of the younger generation saying there is more than one way to play the game and the hedge funds have had too much power in the past.

SoonerMD09

Elite

For too long people at hedge funds have been able to go on CNBC (think bill ackman and herbalife) and scream about how a company is going bankrupt while they are short the shares. THats should no more be legal than what is going on with the reddit crowd.

Its kind of the younger generation saying their is more than one way to play the game and the hedge funds have had too much power in the past.
I get that. But if there is something fundamentally flawed about the way a company undergoes business (expanding to fast, new tech that makes their methods obsolete, etc) it is eventually going to die.

This artificial inflation will only work if there is enough ground work support on Gamestop's end that results in profits being made. Otherwise, once the young money's vigor absolves, you're still left with a company with a bad financial model.

Seems like a terrible waste of money other than just going to Best Buy or Amazon for your XBox.

Volvulus

Poster
I get that. But if there is something fundamentally flawed about the way a company undergoes business (expanding to fast, new tech that makes their methods obsolete, etc) it is eventually going to die.

This artificial inflation will only work if there is enough ground work support on Gamestop's end that results in profits being made. Otherwise, once the young money's vigor absolves, you're still left with a company with a bad financial model.

Seems like a terrible waste of money other than just going to Best Buy or Amazon for your XBox.

It’s a defacto pump and dump. They won’t be in for the long haul.

It still could go up, based on this “movement,” but I’m staying away because it will eventually crash and burn. No way GameStop is a $200+ share stock long term.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

Its kind of the younger generation saying there is more than one way to play the game and the hedge funds have had too much power in the past.
Agree, there is some kind of hero/villain dynamic playin out.

What’s your career Fats?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Cant get on the Wall street bets discord server this morning. Not ure if they kicked me off, it got shut down or something else is going on

dskurz

Poster
Cant get on the Wall street bets discord server this morning. Not ure if they kicked me off, it got shut down or something else is going on
"The website Downdetector reported disruptions to TD Ameritrade, Robinhood, E-trade, Charles Schwab, Fidelity Investments, Interactive Brokers and Vanguard, as well as the Reddit message board that has triggered much of the activity."

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
yeah, my td ameritrade orders are not getting filled when i put them in. I sent a market order and it sat there for a full minute without getting filled. Let me cancel though

CumAllahHerAss

Poster
Founder
Apparently they all dumped and shorted GME at the same time causing trading to halt and I think probably resulted in the discord server being halted as well.

CumAllahHerAss

Poster
Founder
I can't join the discord, think it's capped at 250k people. Doubt I want to be in a discord with that many people anyway.

NopeDawg

Elite
Founder
TDA took all GME and AMC trades off the board. But it's ok for the little guys to hold the bag I guess

CrispRipley

Poster
Founder
The autistic finance internet community definitely gives you some money making opportunities if you're willing to do some day trades. NOK and NAKD today doing just that.

NopeDawg

Elite
Founder
I've never seen anything like the manipulation by brokers and hedges alike today. Really shows the reality the deck is stacked toward them. TDA takes AMC and GME trades off the books, short ladder after short ladder against AMC today to thwart the rise. Unreal fuckery to save their ass.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Here’s a good explanation, goes into how someone in WSB had calls in GameStop and kept on holding them and convinced folks on wsb how they could short squeeze the hedge funds. As someone pointed out, the institutions halting trading and protecting the hedge funds we have never seen so blatant before.

NopeDawg

Elite
Founder
Here’s a good explanation, goes into how someone in WSB had calls in GameStop and kept on holding them and convinced folks on wsb how they could short squeeze the hedge funds. As someone pointed out, the institutions halting trading and protecting the hedge funds we have never seen so blatant before.

And now the hedge funds are wise and short laddering the ever loving fuck out of AMC in AH. Unreal price manipulation to smoke out the little guys. It will continue into Friday as they are scared as fuck of buy volume, compounded with margin calls, and call options being exercised if the stock goes up. If you are in it, just keep adding the dips. Once the short ladder attack is finished and demand returns, it completely fucks the shorts even more. The only way to beat this complete bullshit they do.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
And now the hedge funds are wise and short laddering the ever loving fuck out of AMC in AH. Unreal price manipulation to smoke out the little guys. It will continue into Friday as they are scared as fuck of buy volume, compounded with margin calls, and call options being exercised if the stock goes up. If you are in it, just keep adding the dips. Once the short ladder attack is finished and demand returns, it completely fucks the shorts even more. The only way to beat this complete bullshit they do.
After,seeing what Bill Ackman did last March and made a billion shorting, I hope he gets caught up in one of these plays..
I’ve never heard of short laddering but makes sense on your strategy on how to beat it.

NopeDawg

Elite
Founder
Nice. So how does this work tomorrow? What will trigger folks to take profits and crash the price before you can get out? Like if the circuit breaker kicks in and you get stuck?
AMC ATHs are around $30. I could see people getting out then, but then again, the diamond hands like myself will hold till Friday and buy dips. Friday is the reckoning. Either the shorts get squeezed or they scare away the retail investors and win. Or, buyers stay diligent and push the demand up. AMC has 8 million shares out on option calls expiry on Friday. I don't think it goes as high as GME, but $50-$100 is not out of the question with the compound effect of margin calls and and options being exercised.

Then, there is money to made on the downside for GME and AMC. Once people leave, these stocks are going to get shorted to oblivion again and the hedge funds will make hand over fist back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom