Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ambulance Cost

Physical therapy for my herniated disc has been working wonders. I had no pain for the last two weeks. Thursday, however, I decided to clean out the garage in preparation for a yard sale, and then that evening I was holding my daughter while she napped, and I went to get up off the couch while holding her and I felt something tweak in my lower back.

All of Friday, I have been in various stages of pain, and it has gotten worse and worse. Previously, I could lie flat on my back and the pain will go away, now the pain is so excruciating while on my back. The only way I can have a manageable level of pain has to be on my stomach with a pillow under my hips.

Having said all that, I think it’s time to go to the ER. I spent most of the night on this floor in pain, and I got a little bit of sleep. But there is no real escape from the pain, and it is driving me up the wall.

Problem is, I can barely stand. I don’t think there’s any chance of me driving myself to the hospital. My wife needs to stay home with her three kids, so I’m not really sure what to do. I’m considering calling the ambulance, but I don’t want to be hit with a bill that is thousands of dollars.

So, can anyone chime in on how much they think an ambulance ride would cost me? Thank you.

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
Depends on your insurance and how they determine your need. My wife fell down outside last winter and busted her forehead open. I couldn’t get her in the car to go to the ER so I called the ambulance. Insurance didn’t cover it because they determined it was elective rather than necessary and it was just over $1,000.

Depends on your insurance and how they determine your need. My wife fell down outside last winter and busted her forehead open. I couldn’t get her in the car to go to the ER so I called the ambulance. Insurance didn’t cover it because they determined it was elective rather than necessary and it was just over $1,000.
Dang. I bet they’ll deem mine unnecessary as well.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Physical therapy for my herniated disc has been working wonders. I had no pain for the last two weeks. Thursday, however, I decided to clean out the garage in preparation for a yard sale, and then that evening I was holding my daughter while she napped, and I went to get up off the couch while holding her and I felt something tweak in my lower back.

All of Friday, I have been in various stages of pain, and it has gotten worse and worse. Previously, I could lie flat on my back and the pain will go away, now the pain is so excruciating while on my back. The only way I can have a manageable level of pain has to be on my stomach with a pillow under my hips.

Having said all that, I think it’s time to go to the ER. I spent most of the night on this floor in pain, and I got a little bit of sleep. But there is no real escape from the pain, and it is driving me up the wall.

Problem is, I can barely stand. I don’t think there’s any chance of me driving myself to the hospital. My wife needs to stay home with her three kids, so I’m not really sure what to do. I’m considering calling the ambulance, but I don’t want to be hit with a bill that is thousands of dollars.

So, can anyone chime in on how much they think an ambulance ride would cost me? Thank you.

They are expensive, probably several hundred dollars. Hopefully you have I insurance, I would think they would cover it?

If it’s me I’m calling the ambulance and worrying about the bills later. Hope you get better!

They are expensive, probably several hundred dollars. Hopefully you have I insurance, I would think they would cover it?

If it’s me I’m calling the ambulance and worrying about the bills later. Hope you get better!
Thank you! I do have insurance, but I’m not sure how much they will cover.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Thank you! I do have insurance, but I’m not sure how much they will cover.
Unfortunately I’ve heard of ambulance eides costing several hundred to even $1-2k. I don’t have personal experience though

Maybe you could ask when you call, I think that is a fair question. They may even have different rates for insured / non insured?

Have you had previous problems this bad before?

Unfortunately I’ve heard of ambulance eides costing several hundred to even $1-2k. I don’t have personal experience though

Maybe you could ask when you call, I think that is a fair question. They may even have different rates for insured / non insured?

Have you had previous problems this bad before?
I have had to this happen before, but never this bad. Before, I could lie flat and avoid the pain, but now there is pain no matter how I position myself. It’s pretty awful.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
I have had to this happen before, but never this bad. Before, I could lie flat and avoid the pain, but now there is pain no matter how I position myself. It’s pretty awful.
You should be able to establish payment if you get a bill.

Tell them you can only afford ten bucks a month and make a couple payments. Then you can argue they agreed to that payment amount and they can’t/ won’t do shit.

This is what my mom did for her ambulance ride when she broke her back 4wheeler riding in a quarry. I’ll leave the price tag out so as to hopefully convince you to get care and call the bus.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder

I’ve had a few both in New Orleans and here in Austin,TX. If I added them up and divided it, around $3,900 for a few miles of a ride.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
@Croot_Overlord hooked me up with a ride. All is well. Currently lying on the floor of the ER waiting room.
Damn. If it’s too personal don’t answer. Which disc did you get taken care of and would you do it again?

I guess my 4 leg surgeries have led up to my lower back getting butt fucked and I’m told by some people to get the surgery for L5/S1 vertebrae? I’m going to get more opinions but it seems like you know what you’re talking about.

Ghost Hawg

Poster
Founder

I’ve got a herniated disk that flares up every once in awhile. One time it was so bad I could only lay down flat on my back. Every time I tried to sit up the pain was excruciating! Ended up having to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night and had to drive myself there with the seat reclined as far back as I could and still manage to drive.

I’ve got a herniated disk that flares up every once in awhile. One time it was so bad I could only lay down flat on my back. Every time I tried to sit up the pain was excruciating! Ended up having to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night and had to drive myself there with the seat reclined as far back as I could and still manage to drive.
That sounds like my last go-round with this. I was thinking that was about as bad as it could get. THIS time around it hurts to lie down as well. Which sucks, but the gave me some percocet today and that makes the pain more manageable. Doesn’t seem to take it away, but helps.

Damn. If it’s too personal don’t answer. Which disc did you get taken care of and would you do it again?

I guess my 4 leg surgeries have led up to my lower back getting butt fucked and I’m told by some people to get the surgery for L5/S1 vertebrae? I’m going to get more opinions but it seems like you know what you’re talking about.
Not too personal at all. I actually don’t know the disc, though. The doctor didn’t volunteer the info and I didn’t think to ask. It’s my lower back and messes with my sciatica, which is basically all I’m sure about as far as placement.

I’m mostly learning as I go along, but I was pretty set on not getting surgery if I could help it. Having said that, with the pain I was in today, if they had offered me surgery today at the ER, I’d probably have taken it.

At this stage, I am waiting to see if these pain meds can get me through to recovery. Strongly considering an epidural shot to reduce inflammation.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder

Call Uber dude.

Ghost Hawg

Poster
Founder
That sounds like my last go-round with this. I was thinking that was about as bad as it could get. THIS time around it hurts to lie down as well. Which sucks, but the gave me some percocet today and that makes the pain more manageable. Doesn’t seem to take it away, but helps.

I usually end up going to the hospital every time. They usually give me a shot of steroids and about a weeks worth of steroid pills.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
ChZCZbrWMAAGQvq.jpg

Ghost Hawg

Poster
Founder
Tell you what, after the cocktail they gave me yesterday, I’d consider going to the ER every morning.

Do you ever do the epidural shots in the spine?

I’ve never tried it. Do they work? Been considering just going ahead and having surgery. Seems like the older I get the worse it gets and is becoming more and more of an issue.

I’ve never tried it. Do they work? Been considering just going ahead and having surgery. Seems like the older I get the worse it gets and is becoming more and more of an issue.
I haven’t tried it yet, but that’s my next step, I think. Considering surgery just to get this issue fixed, I just don’t want any issues from surgery down the road.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Southeastern Spine Institute
Call them and they'll tell you who is best in Bama. They are the premier back Dr's in the nation. At least Mayo clinic told me that. I told them I didn't care what it cost or where I had to go.
Don't get hooked on pills and boozing. Sounds easy but they make constant pain retreat for a while. And that is the hook.

I'm telling you maybe the biggest mistake of my life was toughing out a degenerative disc for 5 years. imagine still having to pump out steel for your company. Relief is almost instant and if done early recovery 6 months. My recovery was 2 years and my spine has not had that issue again.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Tell you what, after the cocktail they gave me yesterday, I’d consider going to the ER every morning.

Do you ever do the epidural shots in the spine?

I got the shots, before my disc replacement surgery a few years ago. Obviously they didn't cure me, or I wouldn't have had surgery...but they did help a good bit. I bet the 1st two injections cut the pain in half. If you are considering surgery, you will likely have to try the epidural injections before insurance will pay for it anyway. Give it a try.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I got the shots, before my disc replacement surgery a few years ago. Obviously they didn't cure me, or I wouldn't have had surgery...but they did help a good bit. I bet the 1st two injections cut the pain in half. If you are considering surgery, you will likely have to try the epidural injections before insurance will pay for it anyway. Give it a try.
I did so many steroids via injection or pills that my surgeon told me to never take another. Apparently the screw you hip sockets somehow. Thankfully befor or after neck surgery I've never needed them.

Keep in mind you need the pain so you really know where you are at. Pills will make you think it is doing OK but you are really doing more damage. Go back to PT and start working on your core gut muscles. If you start getting spasms and trigger points do you research and make a decision. PT is what you put in to it. Dont bullshit on it

I did so many steroids via injection or pills that my surgeon told me to never take another. Apparently the screw you hip sockets somehow. Thankfully befor or after neck surgery I've never needed them.

Keep in mind you need the pain so you really know where you are at. Pills will make you think it is doing OK but you are really doing more damage. Go back to PT and start working on your core gut muscles. If you start getting spasms and trigger points do you research and make a decision. PT is what you put in to it. Dont bullshit on it
Definitely plan to continue on with PT regardless of what else I do. I was getting fantastic results out of it. Just overdid it by working in the garage and reinjured while lifting my daughter. I’m wondering if I might have ruptured what before was only herniated. We shall see.

I was shocked when I talked to @yankmenoodle and he said all they did was toss you some meds.

I guess you got a follow up with a spine doctor?
I was a bit surprised too!

No follow up yet. I’m going to call and schedule with a neurosurgeon tomorrow. Somebody who comes highly recommended through a couple of sources. Second opinion.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

No follow up yet. I’m going to call and schedule with a neurosurgeon tomorrow. Somebody who comes highly recommended through a couple of sources. Second opinion.
MRI is the first thing I'd suspect they do. Good luck. Holler if you you have any questions or anything. I am a medical miracle.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

Well you know for future reference how a visit to the ER will go, at least. Mostly a waste of your time. At our hospital, any kind of back pain suspected of being disc related, or just muscular, is just given some pain meds and sent out the door.

Good luck with the neurosurgeon. I had a disc replaced a few years back by a neurosurgeon. My brother in law is a very good orthopedic surgeon in upstate SC, specializes in hands. Anyway, he is the one who recommended neuro over ortho. Figured if an ortho guy told me this, plus being family, that it was good advice.

Well you know for future reference how a visit to the ER will go, at least. Mostly a waste of your time. At our hospital, any kind of back pain suspected of being disc related, or just muscular, is just given some pain meds and sent out the door.

Good luck with the neurosurgeon. I had a disc replaced a few years back by a neurosurgeon. My brother in law is a very good orthopedic surgeon in upstate SC, specializes in hands. Anyway, he is the one who recommended neuro over ortho. Figured if an ortho guy told me this, plus being family, that it was good advice.
Yeah I keep getting Neuro over ortho suggestions as well. I just want to do the best thing I can for my future health, but at this point I’m ready to do it ASAP. Interesting balancing act.

Latest posts

Top Bottom