Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

International Pressure on Russian Energy

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
Some perspective from a geoanalyat on Russian Energy. I don't always agree and I take the same position here. Can't say I have that level of confidence that Europ would execute on this strategy:

We are awash in news reports that the Europeans are poised to follow the US in banning all Russian Energy imports.

Let me repeat: the Europeans are reportedly getting ready to ban imports from their largest supplier of crude oil, natural gas, and refined fuel products.

A decision is unlikely this week, and implementation will take longer still (the UK's year-long tapered cut off if a potential model), but the decision is largely inevitable. Even if the Europeans wanted to continue importing Russian energy, supplies are likely to become unreliable at best. Better for the Europeans to start planning for that future now.

In additional bad news for Russia, sending crude elsewhere like China is a non-starter. Outside of cost and insurance and potential sanctions concerns, a lack of reliable export infrastructure will certainly impede exports. And that's even before we get to the fact that foreign tech and investment is headed out the door in Russia. A couple of weeks after supermajors like ExxonMobil and Shell announced that they were leaving Russia, the oil services companies - Halliburton, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes - are exiting as well. Simply put: Russia can't maintain its current level of output on its own. And the highly complex projects that make up so much of Moscow's current oil and gas production really can't be sustained by anyone else.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
So where does the EU go for energy? Middle East? but I would imagine the infrastructure is not there.

My thoughts:

1. Going cause prices across the board to continue to go through the roof

2. Putting Russia into a zero win situation where they could just ended up blowing up everything

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
So where does the EU go for energy? Middle East? but I would imagine the infrastructure is not there.

My thoughts:

2. Putting Russia into a zero win situation where they could just ended up blowing up everything
Alternative energies are NO WHERE near enough to provide the necessary power.

Europe should have been seeking energy independence since the fall of the USSR.

Get what you vote for

CDDP

Legendary
Founder
Some perspective from a geoanalyat on Russian Energy. I don't always agree and I take the same position here. Can't say I have that level of confidence that Europ would execute on this strategy:

We are awash in news reports that the Europeans are poised to follow the US in banning all Russian Energy imports.

Let me repeat: the Europeans are reportedly getting ready to ban imports from their largest supplier of crude oil, natural gas, and refined fuel products.

A decision is unlikely this week, and implementation will take longer still (the UK's year-long tapered cut off if a potential model), but the decision is largely inevitable. Even if the Europeans wanted to continue importing Russian energy, supplies are likely to become unreliable at best. Better for the Europeans to start planning for that future now.

In additional bad news for Russia, sending crude elsewhere like China is a non-starter. Outside of cost and insurance and potential sanctions concerns, a lack of reliable export infrastructure will certainly impede exports. And that's even before we get to the fact that foreign tech and investment is headed out the door in Russia. A couple of weeks after supermajors like ExxonMobil and Shell announced that they were leaving Russia, the oil services companies - Halliburton, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes - are exiting as well. Simply put: Russia can't maintain its current level of output on its own. And the highly complex projects that make up so much of Moscow's current oil and gas production really can't be sustained by anyone else.
I will give Europe credit if they do ban Russian energy. No way could I believe a month ago that the EU would put a gun to their own head and pull the trigger. Inflation and public unrest will be quite entraining and sad to watch over the next few months.

Trump warned them not to get hooked on Russian gas but they didn't listen. Trump told them to increase military spending and beef up NATO on their end and they didn't listen. It will be time to point and laugh at the EU shortly.

BigBucnNole

Elite

My thoughts:

There's a point the US bans exports of energy if things get too wild. Closed American market would be considerably cheaper for us.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
There's a point the US bans exports of energy if things get too wild. Closed American market would be considerably cheaper for us.
Gosh the rest of the world would get hammered if that happened

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Agreed. We have the ability to be oil independent but not the will. At a certain point voters will demand it. If oil is at $200 and every tap in America is not at full blast then Biden and Democrat won't be in control any longer

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Agreed. We have the ability to be oil independent but not the will. At a certain point voters will demand it. If oil is at $200 and every tap in America is not at full blast then Biden and Democrat won't be in control any longer
They’ve already wrecked there chances through 2024.

The stolen election and that 1st year was there only shot at setting inn stone the many planks kneaded two stay inn power.

Honestly it’s Ben so bad they’ve probably wrecked themselves intwo next decade already with almost every plank of there party beeing burned on a daily basis.

BigBucnNole

Elite

Internal US, or North American based oil supply is something like $70 a barrel.

BigBucnNole

Elite
Gosh the rest of the world would get hammered if that happened

edit: Talking off the top of my head, but I take that back. You'll be pulling American consumption off the world market and American production off the world market. The net effect of that can fluctuate by a few million barrels....

However, capital investment in Russia drying up is going to bring their production to a near halt as pieces and parts break down. Even if the Euros say "we give up, Russia can sell again." I don't know how the Russians get the Foreign Direct Investment without us. And we won't need to since the US market will be the endgame for American companies.

Ukraine has shown how fucking terrifying American Economic Power really is. The big stick going in was SWIFT. But that's childs play really compared to what we've done to Russia. It's amazing how lockstep the Europeans are with us. I can't see the Germans forgoing Russian gas permanently and at some point whatever kind of reserve system they are depending on will dry up and only the Russians can replace it. But the Europeans do not have the excess cash and fuck you money like we do to replace sustained investment for someone like Russia to keep pumping. And what's funny is the Chinese response in all of this. They suddenly understand the reality of how bad a day they could actually have if they cross us.

Last edited:

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

Bullshit

BigBucnNole

Elite
Jmo, this is Russia's play to kill the dollar and with it goes a lot of the power the banking cartel can wield. Which is good for Russia

US dollar is backed by a powerful economy representing a quarter of world output, global markets where even Chinese output is predominantly sold in dollars in foreign markets, and 10 or 11 carrier battle groups that single handedly have more firepower than than the bulk of foreign naval power.

The Yuan is basically backed by a debt structure akin to drunken giant jenga. The next guy to take a loan has to be a fuckin ace to make sure it doesn't default and bring the whole system crumbling.

The Ruble... not even worth discussing.

I'll add another perspective of how dominant the US is. Average daily spending in China is $7. In the US its $97. China would need to quadruple its population to replace US spending at least. They can't finance enough debt to produce the jobs at the rate they finance, and scale of non performing loans, to make that a reality. There isn't enough cash available to them. The country would collapse before that was a possibility.

Basically that means for any foreigner selling anything worth a shit, the o ly market that matters is the US. You can't access that market without USD. Without the US as a consumption sink, you can't have a world market. You'd get mercantilistic fiefdoms trying to carve out a share of the planet for limited trade.

Last edited:

TTUcamper

Elite
Lol, no. US dollar is backed by a powerful economy representing a quarter of world output, global markets where even Chinese output is predominantly sold in dollars in foreign markets, and 10 or 11 carrier battle groups that single handedly have more firepower than than the bulk of foreign naval power.

The Yuan is basically backed by a debt structure akin to drunken giant jenga. The next guy to take a loan has to be a fuckin ace to make sure it doesn't default and bring the whole system crumbling.

I'll add another perspective of how dominant the US is. Average daily spending in China is $7. In the US its $97. China would need to quadruple its population to replace US spending at least. They can't finance enough debt to produce the jobs at the rate they finance, and scale of non performing loans, to make that a reality. There isn't enough cash available to them. The country would collapse before that was a possibility.

Basically that means for any foreigner selling anything worth a shit, the o ly market that matters is the US. You can't access that market without USD. Without the US as a consumption sink, you can't have a world market. You'd get mercantilistic fiefdoms trying to carve out a share of the planet for limited trade.

Jmo, I think they realize killing the dollar kills all fiat currencies. I'm also pretty sure Russia is ok with that.

BigBucnNole

Elite
Jmo, I think they realize killing the dollar kills all fiat currencies. I'm also pretty sure Russia is ok with that.

Why would they be okay with that? Do they want to go through hoops of fluctuating exchange rates to do basic business on an international scale?

The most successful period in Russian economic growth has been under the dollar.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
US dollar is backed by a powerful economy representing a quarter of world output, global markets where even Chinese output is predominantly sold in dollars in foreign markets, and 10 or 11 carrier battle groups that single handedly have more firepower than than the bulk of foreign naval power.

You are talking in the past. The people in charge of our country hate energy and work. Not sure if you think China is just gonna keep making stuff for us with printed dollars. Nothing is backing up our money at all anymore and our president is a pussy idiot.

India, Russia, China, Venezuela and Iran is over half the worlds populations and are poor. Im sure they see a lot more growth in those areas than with whiney suburban American kids.

BigBucnNole

Elite
You are talking in the past. The people in charge of our country hate energy and work. Not sure if you think China is just gonna keep making stuff for us with printed dollars. Nothing is backing up our money at all anymore and our president is a pussy idiot.

India, Russia, China, Venezuela and Iran is over half the worlds populations and are poor. Im sure they see a lot more growth in those areas than with whiney suburban American kids.

#read my section on the yuan. They are BROKE.

Most folks that make claims like these don't grasp the scale of US dominance.

Last edited:

Jtrain80

Legendary
#read my section on the yuan. They are BROKE.

Most folks that make claims like these don't grasp the scale of US dominance.

Russia, China, and India have a combined 3 billion people. Throw in Africa and that is 4 billion.

I bet they can figure out something without bending the knee to European bankers.

America 1st

Founder
Russia, China, and India have a combined 3 billion people. Throw in Africa and that is 4 billion.

I bet they can figure out something without bending the knee to European bankers.
And all of them are shitholes.

Chyna ain’t worth a shit if the US and Europe aren’t purchasing there cheap shit while also beeing terrified of India.

Russia is desperately afraid of Chyna.

India is desperately afraid of Chyna and Pakistan.

Africa can’t even figure out reading a book ore a clock.

Sorry as mother fuckers. Wood feel bad four them if knot four there shit ass cultures and the problems those fuckers all cause.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I'd love for you to give a lesson on fx markets, inflation, supply and demand.

Explain it from Austrian vs Solow vs Keynesian vs Neo Marxian perspectives.
I'm a Mises guy myself. But if your right then inflation should slow down. If Im right, then I think it gets worse this summer then even worse"r" this fall.

America 1st

Founder
I'm a Mises guy myself. But if your right then inflation should slow down. If Im right, then I think it gets worse this summer then even worse"r" this fall.
Howe dew yew figure?

Everywon is predicting inflation two stay steady ore continue two increase with the continued supply shortages.

BigBucnNole

Elite
Uh.... OK. Seems like Keynesians take that spot but your the expert.

I am literally the expert. I could write a page on why the Austrian "school" is clown town and remedial, I could also write a paper on why Keynes was wrong, why Friedman was wrong. They wrote this shit 80+ years ago and computer science, economics, and the math behind it all have advanced and allowed us to test things they could only dream of.

End of the day, the US is the most resource-rich, demographically sound, militarily powerful, food secure, and geographically protected country on the planet. No other currency backed by that kind of economic engine.

I will add though, we're in a massive transformation of world order right now. The US, because we are so wealthy and independent is the most disconnected economy in the developed world. Only 8% of goods and services are imported, everything else is domestically produced. Before you scream and shout "manufacturing," big ticketed items are purchased at a gradual rate by individuals. And most big ticketed items we are still a top producer in. Cars for example, we are number 2.

A country like China, on the other hand, may manufacture more, in some spaces, but it's also a heavily leveraged export-based economy. Without say the US-backed open trade lanes stretching across the planet giving access to resource inputs and shipping output, or US consumer markets, China can not exist. They can not outcompete say the Japanese in a blue water navy. They can't truck their shit through Russia or India's backyard. They can't access foreign markets and they have too many fucking people to make a decent per capita standard of living capable of consuming anything near equivalent to the American consumer. Hell, they have too many people to feed, even if they are aging out of existence. China has something like 10% more males than females. That means 10% of the population will never have children, and those children will never have children, and so on. China is also the number one importer of I think beef, pork, chicken, rice, and one other. Geographically their country blows.

You don't bet on a currency like the Yuan when it likely won't exist in 20 to 30 years. You don't bet it on crypto where there is no economic engine. You don't bet it on the Euro where the Euro can only exist with the US providing enough stability in Europe for them to create a Union. Funny thing about the EU is that without the American Navy guaranteeing free and open trade, the only option is individual European nations using their own navy to setup up shop in other countries and closing down markets to allow only themselves individually, Empire building 2.0. The second the US ever goes back home France and Germany are trying to slit each other's throat.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, can substitute the dollar.

Last edited:

America 1st

Founder
I am literally the expert. I could write a page on why the Austrian "school" is clown town and remedial, I could also write a paper on why Keynes was wrong, why Friedman was wrong. They wrote this shit 80+ years ago and computer science, economics, and the math behind it all have advanced and allowed us to test things they could only dream of.

End of the day, the US is the most resource-rich, demographically sound, militarily powerful, food secure, and geographically protected country on the planet. No other currency backed by that kind of economic engine.

I will add though, we're in a massive transformation of world order right now. The US, because we are so wealthy and independent is the most disconnected economy in the developed world. Only 8% of goods and services are imported, everything else is domestically produced. Before you scream and shout "manufacturing," big ticketed items are purchased at a gradual rate by individuals. And most big ticketed items we are still a top producer in. Cars for example, we are number 2.

A country like China, on the other hand, may manufacture more, in some spaces, but it's also a heavily leveraged export-based economy. Without say the US-backed open trade lanes stretching across the planet giving access to resource inputs and shipping output, or US consumer markets, China can not exist. They can not outcompete say the Japanese in a blue water navy. They can't truck their shit through Russia or India's backyard. They can't access foreign markets and they have too many fucking people to make a decent per capita standard of living capable of consuming anything near equivalent to the American consumer. Hell, they have too many people to feed, even if they are aging out of existence. China has something like 10% more males than females. That means 10% of the population will never have children, and those children will never have children, and so on. China is also the number one importer of I think beef, pork, chicken, rice, and one other. Geographically their country blows.

You don't bet on a currency like the Yuan when it likely won't exist in 20 to 30 years. You don't bet it on crypto where there is no economic engine. You don't bet it on the Euro where the Euro can only exist with the US providing enough stability in Europe for them to create a Union. Funny thing about the EU is that without the American Navy guaranteeing free and open trade, the only option is their own navy setting up shop akin to Empire building. Second the US ever goes back home France and Germany are trying to slit each other's throat.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder

You don't bet on a currency like the Yuan when it likely won't exist in 20 to 30 years. You don't bet it on crypto where there is no economic engine. You don't bet it on the Euro where the Euro can only exist with the US providing enough stability in Europe for them to create a Union. Funny thing about the EU is that without the American Navy guaranteeing free and open trade, the only option is their own navy setting up shop in other countries and closing down markets to allow only themselves individually, Empire building 2.0. The second the US ever goes back home France and Germany are trying to slit each other's throat.

What would the inflation rate be right now if we tracked inflation like we did in 1980?

Demographically sound? We have 2 million illegals coming into our country per year now. Nobody knows where they are going or who they are.

Food secure? We'll see. I don't think you realize how much of what we produce is corn and soybeans and not actual food that Americans eat. Maybe we can shift production but it wouldn't be quick.

TTUcamper

Elite
Why would they be okay with that? Do they want to go through hoops of fluctuating exchange rates to do basic business on an international scale?

The most successful period in Russian economic growth has been under the dollar.

All they have is commodities, they don't have anything else. They are betting they can make other people pay rubles for their commodities.

They've also spent the last 15 or so years buying physical gold while leveraging themselves all over the world in dollars.

I think they would be happy for the dollar to inflate as much as they can make it.

They are also pointing out the hypocrisy of the western governments and the dangers of using the dollar.

You think the middle eastern, Asian and south American countries aren't watching the western governments seize Russian assets after provoking them for 8 years? You think that's going to encourage them to use the dollar? That's only going to encourage them to diversify. The western governments wouldn't even do that to Russia in the cold war because they knew it'd cause then to lose face all over the world

Even Germany is trying to get their gold out of the US.

BigBucnNole

Elite
What would the inflation rate be right now if we tracked inflation like we did in 1980?

Demographically sound? We have 2 million illegals coming into our country per year now. Nobody knows where they are going or who they are.

Food secure? We'll see. I don't think you realize how much of what we produce is corn and soybeans and not actual food that Americans eat. Maybe we can shift production but it wouldn't be quick.

Why are you so anti-American?????

This is the 10 yr treasury since 1980...

fredgraph.png

Do you think there would've been an increase in demand for dollars if inflation is secretly high? Just try explaining the trend.

You want a smaller old population and a larger young population so workers can pay for older. Otherwise, the numbers invert and you get too many old mouths fed by too few young people. A country like say... China is looking at losing upwards of 100 million workers by 2040. Russia is already losing people. Germany is set for utter collapse, in fact, they would've declined without their refugees/ immigrants. The developing world, while growing, has seen a complete collapse in its rate of growth. The US is the only major power that is still largely growing and will continue. Will we be in the same boat eventually? Maybe? But that's not the case today. Especially when we've added 20 million in the last decade and are slated to have as many as 460 million in 2050.

I have no idea what you are even trying to say about illegals. Surer they run rampant but they're more akin to a sort of seasonal migration that lingers in and out based on US demand. We've had years that have seen illegal migration plummet.

Don't even fucking argue that the US doesn't have some of the most fertile and efficient farming land on the planet.

BigBucnNole

Elite
All they have is commodities, they don't have anything else. They are betting they can make other people pay rubles for their commodities.

They've also spent the last 15 or so years buying physical gold while leveraging themselves all over the world in dollars.

I think they would be happy for the dollar to inflate as much as they can make it.

They are also pointing out the hypocrisy of the western governments and the dangers of using the dollar.

You think the middle eastern, Asian and south American countries aren't watching the western governments seize Russian assets after provoking them for 8 years? You think that's going to encourage them to use the dollar? That's only going to encourage them to diversify. The western governments wouldn't even do that to Russia in the cold war because they knew it'd cause then to lose face all over the world

So... because Russia, factories in China suddenly want to sell to Vietnamese and not Americans????? You can't do that shit in gold son, or rubles, or yuan, or Euros.

For the Russians, sure gold has value in stabilizing themselves as compared to what's happened to the Ruble. But its nothing sustainable long term and most shit you buy on the international market anyway is processed in dollars.

Last edited:

America 1st

Founder

The US feeds Chyna. We have plenty of food.

It’s knot just going two encourage them two yews the dollar it Will show them exactly what happens two those that don’t.

The world revolves around the dollar.

Top Bottom