Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Dance Your Cares Away/Fraggle/Law Abiding Citizens

Master Threads

MortgageHorn

Your Favorite Loan Officer
Founder
interesting thread.

I'm far from an expert here, but if I'm correctly interpreting this, they are going to use GME to bring down the stock market ahead of the election. My take is this is a white hat operation, as the stock market is one of the only remaining pillars that the average normie has any trust in, or rather, takes security in. The other side of that coin is continuing to press on the Clockwork Orange strategy, remove the last bastion of hope (nest eggs) and get people to take whatever globalist solution is offered as good enough. I hope its the former vs. the latter, but not sure.

Someone smarter and more educated on this topic should weigh-in, but it appears that someone(s) has quietly built a significant portfolio of call options and balanced that by owning enough shares of GME. This has put almost every hedge fund, who all have had short positions in GME due to the "fundamentals" in a losing position. In isolation, this wouldn't be that big of a deal, and happens more often than you realize, but this is slightly different. There are 2 major differences that could have very significant implications in this particular instance.

1. The spread on the calls vs. puts
  2. The leverage ratio held by the hedge funds
  3. Interest on borrowing debt
The GME/AMC noise a few years ago was the start. In normal market making trades, if a hedge fund misses on one stock by $2-3 (i.e put position at $18, call at $20-$21), the hedge fund loses the spread ($2-3), but typically can make that back and then some on another position, giving them a winning long-term strategy. The overall risk here is in the 10-15% range. In this instance, the calls are at $20, and many of those puts are <$5, meaning the risk here is in the 400-500% range. That is material.

Again, a few years ago, the macro environment at that point was still driven by pretty low interest rates, meaning that the hedge funds could borrow debt from banks at a much more reasonable rate. They, and every "fund" (i.e. private equity, venture capital, etc...) built their funds the same way; raise $100's of millions of private capital, and then use that capital as collateral to borrow debt at 5-10x leverage ratios, so that $100 million turned into $500million to $1B in "funds." The plan is to return 2.5-3X that fund (i.e. $1B returns $2.5-3B in funds) and you essentially use debt to give yourself the ability to make more money by taking more risk in more positions. With the rise in interest rates going from 2.5% to 7.5% (3X) the impact on hedge funds is amplified significantly, This is where it gets much more interesting on a broader perspective.

If this dude executes those calls, and he will, then the hedge funds are going to have to "sell" the stock to him at a 3:1 loss ratio (difference between $5 put and $20 call = $15; $15/5 = 3). Additionally, they are going to have to buy those shares in 1-2 ways
  1. exit existing positions early - an absolute killer in the hedge fund world as timing is EVERYTHING
  2. borrow debt at 3X the cost of what they borrowed.
So playing this all out. If a hedge fund has a $100M short position in GME, and you factor in all of these variables, for every $100M in short position they have they would pay $100M x 3 (loss ratio) x (5-7 leverage ratio) x 3 (interest rate spread) = $4.5-6B on this one trade. So instead of a standard ~20% risk they are taking 5000%. That makes the mortgage risk model from 2007 look downright conservative.

Most hedge funds have a position here, certainly all of the big ones. If they have to do this, it could literally kill all of them in one fell swoop, which would also bring the market down in a major crash because ALL of their positions would be exposed and increase in risk almost instantaneously.

@Hoosier in Mad Town

Is that your commentary or from the Tweet?

MH

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder

^^if he's proud of an illegal gun toting, crackhead pedo adulterer who lives off his Dads name, maybe our President should aim higher.

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder
It's happening.

trudeau.gif

justintrudeau-justindrinking.gif

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder
1717427508353.png

1717427645810.png

MortgageHorn

Founder

OPD77

Legendary
Pretty sure the VP has to be born an american.
That's true...I was just putting it out there jokingly, but having a super successful businessman in an advisory roll is a bonus.

I've often wondered if Elon was part of the catch the steal of 2020 with his satellites, space program or other things that may have been beneficial in "we caught them" "we have everything" process....or maybe just their communications during the Twatter days. Just a thought or two...

MortgageHorn

Founder
Joe Saluzzi, co-founder of Themis Trading, told CNN that the NYSE’s explanation is hard to square with the bizarre trades that hit the tape.

“I’m not buying that explanation. That doesn’t make any sense to me,” said Saluzzi, a market structure expert and author of “Broken Markets.”

Trading data provided by Refinitiv shows that Berkshire Hathaway changed hands at $620,700 as of 9:44:32 on Monday morning. And then, without any explanation, the stock crashed to just $185.10.

“All of a sudden, there was a $185 print. But there was nothing to take it down level by level, which you would expect to see,” said Saluzzi. “It makes no sense.”

Saluzzi said he expects the bad trades will be canceled shortly by NYSE.

ShaolinNole

Legendary
Joe Saluzzi, co-founder of Themis Trading, told CNN that the NYSE’s explanation is hard to square with the bizarre trades that hit the tape.

“I’m not buying that explanation. That doesn’t make any sense to me,” said Saluzzi, a market structure expert and author of “Broken Markets.”

Trading data provided by Refinitiv shows that Berkshire Hathaway changed hands at $620,700 as of 9:44:32 on Monday morning. And then, without any explanation, the stock crashed to just $185.10.

“All of a sudden, there was a $185 print. But there was nothing to take it down level by level, which you would expect to see,” said Saluzzi. “It makes no sense.”

Saluzzi said he expects the bad trades will be canceled shortly by NYSE.
Bad trades and stops should be cancelled, and adjusted back to their prior state. This has happened to me a few times. Data feeds go haywire. Will need to see if there is more to it.

Hoosier in Mad Town

Founder
They are "Fixing" it....

View attachment 217462

@Hoosier in Mad Town - how long can they "plug leaks" and say "Technical Issues" before it totally gets away from them?
I don't know. But at some point, if this whole ball of yarn is as tightly wound as we think, they can't solve it. It's all about liquidity. If the hedge funds, were over-leveraged, go insolvent, then the banks have to call other loans to remain liquid, which means every PE firm, every VC firm, every organization that took on debt of any kind is going to be screwed because their loans are going to be called too!

Top Bottom