Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Dance Your Cares Away/Fraggle/Law Abiding Citizens

Master Threads
Exactly. I’d have screamed at her and whoever was with her so loud she would have called the police. And I would have waited. Making that kid cry and her words are a terroristic threat. I’d have been in her face.

Yeah it would have gone to level 9 if I would have been present for that. I would have been in her face so fast she wouldn’t know what to do and if she would have laid a finger on me I would have given her such a leg kick she may have never walked again.

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
I wonder the caliber of the handgun were they don't survive. My guess if shot placement was reasonable. You would not be surviving, .357, .44 mag, or 45 lc
Shot placement is far more important than anything else, at least when it comes to the common calibers bigger than 22lr.

According to the Atlanta Coroner’s report on such matters -

If the deceased was shot multiple times it is usually a 9mm.

if the deceased is shot once and dies it is usually a .45 ACP.

#Facts
This is not true. When looking at scenario outcomes, there is not much of a difference between the common pistol calibers.

"Analyzing 1800 Shootings: Which Caliber Has the Best Stopping Power? - Tier Three Tactical" https://www.tierthreetactical.com/a...gs-which-caliber-has-the-best-stopping-power/

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder

ETNVol

Legendary
Founder
Shot placement is far more important than anything else, at least when it comes to the common calibers bigger than 22lr.

This is not true. When looking at scenario outcomes, there is not much of a difference between the common pistol calibers.

"Analyzing 1800 Shootings: Which Caliber Has the Best Stopping Power? - Tier Three Tactical" https://www.tierthreetactical.com/a...gs-which-caliber-has-the-best-stopping-power/
Yes but are those 1800 random? From what I’ve read, 9mm is the most common ammo purchased by far.

FreeMiner

Legendary
According to the Atlanta Coroner’s report on such matters -

If the deceased was shot multiple times it is usually a 9mm.

if the deceased is shot once and dies it is usually a .45 ACP.

#Facts
I agree, just like I thought. That is why the 1911 was developed for the Marines and the trenches n WW1.
I have read of people being shot in the leg with the .45 acp and dying of shock.

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
I agree, just like I thought. That is why the 1911 was developed for the Marines and the trenches n WW1.
I have read of people being shot in the leg with the .45 acp and dying of shock.
No, that is pretty much urban legend. Read the link I posted above. There is no relevant difference between the common calibers when it comes to defensive scenario outcomes.

Personally, I would much rather carry a 9mm outside the home than a 45acp based on magazine capacity alone. There are good reasons why the FBI and law enforcement are ditching the 40cal too.

FreeMiner

Legendary

My friend I respectfully disagree. I was a rancher for years which means at times I had to humanely dispatch a cow here and there.
I have used 30/30 rifle and .44 magnum revolver both at point blank range.
30/30 was not humane on a 1200 lb plus animal....44 Magnum revolver only one shot required and it knocked the animal down immediately. 30/30 always required 2-3 shots. For close up work. I would only use .45 acp, .357, .44 magnum and .45 acp. There is just no comparison. The 9mm is about equal to the old .38 police revolvers in actual stopping power. They are a .38 caliber round.
There is a practical reason why prospectors in bear country carry the .44 Magnum. You usually only get 1 shot on a bear, the .38/9mm just does not get the job done. When you only have one shot

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Saw a man panhandling on the side of the road today - one of many I see daily. The sign he had said, "Homeless. Have nothing. Please help." (paraphrased). If so, he obviously has enough to pay for the cigarette hanging from his mouth.

Had to resist rolling down the window to tell him to not smoke and he'd have lots more. He probably would have spit Wuhan spit on me.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

Pineapple

Legendary

Sorry, I’ve read that bullshit and it doesn’t take wound channeling into account or sectional density. It’s absolute bs. There are positives to the 9mm, but stopping power isn’t it.

“Next, we need to keep in mind that many of these shootings were using ball ammo. I think there is likely to be some difference if we had data on shootings with hollow points. I don’t believe it would make a double digit difference as hollow points really only create a slightly larger wound channel, they aren’t magic. But it would be interesting to see what the difference is.”

“Oomph​

Advancements in modern defensive ammotechnology have helped the 9mm improve by leaps and bounds over the past 30 years. It’s not the same underpowered round that the FBI abandoned in the early 1980s.

With a good modern defensive ammo, the 9mm is just as powerful as any .45, just in different ways.

Draco NAK-9 Russian Steel Ammo
9mm
When comparing the two handguns, it’s important to note that the 9mm hasn’t become better than the .45 ACP…it just caught up to it.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words…new self-defense 9mm ammo opens up to create some nasty possible wound channels to stop attackers in their tracks.

147 Federal HST Expansion
147gr Federal HST Expansion
That is some nice expansion from the 9mm ammo.

But let’s not forget the same developments in HP ammo that allowed 9mm to catch up to .45 ACP FMJ also allowed .45 ACP HP to beef up.

Winchester 230 gr Ranger T 45 ACP Lucky Gunner Test
Winchester 230 gr Ranger T-Series 45 ACP Lucky Gunner Test
While the 147-grain Federal HST expanded from 9mm (roughly .35cal) to on average 15mm or .61-inches, the .45 ACP expanded from (again, roughly) 11.5mm to 25mm (.45-inches to 1-inches).

Both (roughly!) doubled in size…and since .45 ACP is bigger to start with, it became massive in the end.”

^^^^huge difference

“Slightly larger wound channel”. Writer couldn’t be more wrong. He says he “always relies on scientific fact” and writes this - “I don’t believe it would make a double digit difference”.

He is dead wrong.

Last edited:

BamaRidger

Legendary
Founder
Top Bottom