Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Dance Your Cares Away/Fraggle/Law Abiding Citizens

Master Threads

Phillip McKraken

Legendary
Founder
And, I agree with you. So do the police i’m friends with. Cop does something stupid? They get pissed. It’s makes them all look bad. It’s like being a Christian and hearing about the Southern Baptist Convention/Catholic Church covering up sexual abuse. Just devastating because we all get painted with the same brush.

My best friend was a policeman. Guy I took karate boxing with was a policeman and was shot/had his K9 murdered, and I’ve talked about Hank Nava and watching his family struggle because of his murder. Many other guys are hard working family men that despise the evil that comes from “leaders” or government. I can tell you that to a man everyone of them says - I will quit or I will be arrested.

Some will undoubtedly choose to “follow orders”. No different than many folks I know say - I’ll give up my guns if they outlaw them. No different than many when they start arresting pastors for preaching will fall away. Again, history shows us this.

Anyway… moving on.
I agree. My next door neighbor knows a policeman too.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

As everyone knows, most of Texas doesn't get much snowfall. If it comes it is usually a one or two day event and it's gone. We had some people from Minnesota move into our neighborhood. We had a 5-6 inch snow. They piled snow up in the back yard and climbed on the roof to jump into it. They said they did than every snowfall in MN.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

Remember Clinton shut down the SuperCollider being built in Texas because it was going to cost $4 billion more (after spending $4 billion on it) to finish. Then the US Gov't decided to spend $1 billion/yr to gain access to the CERN data. Imagine all the new "toys" that could have been developed? Baylor Univ Medical Center had already built a $40 million facility to treat cancer which was up and running using what was being generated already.

Cheddarwurst

Elite
Founder
As everyone knows, most of Texas doesn't get much snowfall. If it comes it is usually a one or two day event and it's gone. We had some people from Minnesota move into our neighborhood. We had a 5-6 inch snow. They piled snow up in the back yard and climbed on the roof to jump into it. They said they did than every snowfall in MN.
Ya, sounds about right. We used to ski off the roof of my buddies when we were kids. We’d pull each other behind the 3-wheeler like we were water skiing as well. My wife’s grandfather would pull the kids behind a pickup across their frozen lake on an old mattress. When our boys were little we bought a Kitty Kat and they would pull each other around on a sled on a frozen pond. Good times….

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder

imprimis

Legendary
Founder

^^A true rising rockstar as the media portrays him^^

View attachment 116011
All the while, Bernie Sanders is destroying the US O&G industry with his nitwit Global Warming impositions.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
EV Charging Lineups in California.

A person I spoke with the other day has a Tesla which he leases. He said he does that because he hears there will be new battery technology for Tesla's in 2 years. Smaller, longer lasting, faster charging and not using today's inefficient technology to use or produce.

FreeMiner

Legendary

^^A true rising rockstar as the media portrays him^^

View attachment 116011
George Washington would wring his neck with his bare hands. Biden is a prime example of what went wrong in America. 50 years as a Parasite in the Sewers of DC. VS the Farmer George Washington.

FreeMiner

Legendary
A person I spoke with the other day has a Tesla which he leases. He said he does that because he hears there will be new battery technology for Tesla's in 2 years. Smaller, longer lasting, faster charging and not using today's inefficient technology to use or produce.
Profile photo for Ryan CarlyleTo go totally Fossil Fuel Free which is what the Loons want this is what they require in Nuclear Power Generation.
https://www.quora.com/profile/Ryan-Carlyle

Ryan Carlyle
BSChE, engineer at an oil companyUpvoted by
Mark Laris
, I have a degree in Nuclear Eng. worked at nuclear power plants for 35 years. and
Marc Bodnick
, Harvard Gov major, Stanford PoliSci PhD studentAuthor has 1.5K answers and 15.2M answer views8y
Originally Answered: How many nuclear reactors would it cost to power the United States fully? How much would each modern reactor cost to build, assuming there were no NIMBY issues (i.e. the land was available and we had the green light).
You can't actually get 100% of a country's power from nuclear fission, because the reactors are hard to throttle up and down to follow daily load fluctuations. But France gets 75% of its electricity from nuclear plants (using a special load-following design) so that's a technologically-realistic target.
The US uses about 4000 terawatt-hours of electricity per year. Which means we could readily get 3000 TWh/yr from nuclear power. That's an average generation output of 342.5 gigawatts.
Load-following nuclear plants do not run at full capacity all the time, and therefore have capacity factors in the upper 70% range. But to be conservative (and to make the numbers come out pretty) I'll say 71.3% capacity factor. That means we need 480 gigawatts of nuclear capacity, which is 400 nuclear reactors at 1.2 GW each. (For reference, there are already over 500 nuclear reactors in the world.)
Let's assume we want all new nuclear plants, in order to get the best possible safety features and to incorporate load-following technology that is not used in the US's existing reactor fleet. At a ballpark price of $5 billion per reactor, that comes out to $2 trillion. I think it would be much cheaper than this if we capture some economies of scale, but that's a fairly conservative estimate.
Before Three Mile Island and Chernobyl ended new reactor orders, the growth rate of nuclear power was the fastest energy source transition in history. But today, opposition and increased safety requirements mean longer construction times. It would probably take 30-50 years to build that many nuclear plants, although if you streamline permitting, build all reactors to the same design, and immediately launch a large nuclear engineer training program you could do it in perhaps 20 years.
We would also need an actual civilian waste repository, which is technologically simple but somehow politicians have managed to utterly screw it up so far. This expansion would only roughly quadruple the US's nuclear fleet, so it's really not going to create any new problems that we're not already dealing with today on a smaller scale.
Waste recycling would also be prudent to extend uranium reserves and reduce disposal volumes. This would cost a few tens of billions to construct the facilities and then some ongoing operating costs, but it wouldn't be very much money compared to the initial plant construction costs.
In comparison, building a "smart grid" to simply allow large-scale renewables development is estimated to cost about $1 trillion. And the renewables to accompany the smart grid cost somewhere between "slightly more than nuclear power" and "4x more than nuclear power" depending on the technology and grid storage requirements. A recent concentrated-solar-thermal plant in Arizona (which is the only new renewable that can provide constant, reliable power output) cost $1.7 billion for 200 MW, or about twice as much per unit capacity as a new nuclear plant. So the nuclear option is almost certain to be much cheaper. This is empirically proven: France's electricity costs half as much as in Germany or Denmark (the two global "leaders" in renewables), and France emits dramatically less carbon dioxide than either of them.
Unfortunately, nuclear power is a political non-starter due to the Fukushima meltdown. Nuclear power kills about the same number of people as renewables do, and has displaced fewer than 1% as many people from their homes as renewables have, but that fact is completely lost amidst the public's irrational and ill-informed fear of radiation. It's sad -- the easiest, fastest, cheapest, and arguably safest way to fight global warming is politically impossible because of something as stupid as bad PR.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Profile photo for Ryan CarlyleTo go totally Fossil Fuel Free which is what the Loons want this is what they require in Nuclear Power Generation.
https://www.quora.com/profile/Ryan-Carlyle

Ryan Carlyle
BSChE, engineer at an oil companyUpvoted by
Mark Laris
, I have a degree in Nuclear Eng. worked at nuclear power plants for 35 years. and
Marc Bodnick
, Harvard Gov major, Stanford PoliSci PhD studentAuthor has 1.5K answers and 15.2M answer views8y
Originally Answered: How many nuclear reactors would it cost to power the United States fully? How much would each modern reactor cost to build, assuming there were no NIMBY issues (i.e. the land was available and we had the green light).
You can't actually get 100% of a country's power from nuclear fission, because the reactors are hard to throttle up and down to follow daily load fluctuations. But France gets 75% of its electricity from nuclear plants (using a special load-following design) so that's a technologically-realistic target.
The US uses about 4000 terawatt-hours of electricity per year. Which means we could readily get 3000 TWh/yr from nuclear power. That's an average generation output of 342.5 gigawatts.
Load-following nuclear plants do not run at full capacity all the time, and therefore have capacity factors in the upper 70% range. But to be conservative (and to make the numbers come out pretty) I'll say 71.3% capacity factor. That means we need 480 gigawatts of nuclear capacity, which is 400 nuclear reactors at 1.2 GW each. (For reference, there are already over 500 nuclear reactors in the world.)
Let's assume we want all new nuclear plants, in order to get the best possible safety features and to incorporate load-following technology that is not used in the US's existing reactor fleet. At a ballpark price of $5 billion per reactor, that comes out to $2 trillion. I think it would be much cheaper than this if we capture some economies of scale, but that's a fairly conservative estimate.
Before Three Mile Island and Chernobyl ended new reactor orders, the growth rate of nuclear power was the fastest energy source transition in history. But today, opposition and increased safety requirements mean longer construction times. It would probably take 30-50 years to build that many nuclear plants, although if you streamline permitting, build all reactors to the same design, and immediately launch a large nuclear engineer training program you could do it in perhaps 20 years.
We would also need an actual civilian waste repository, which is technologically simple but somehow politicians have managed to utterly screw it up so far. This expansion would only roughly quadruple the US's nuclear fleet, so it's really not going to create any new problems that we're not already dealing with today on a smaller scale.
Waste recycling would also be prudent to extend uranium reserves and reduce disposal volumes. This would cost a few tens of billions to construct the facilities and then some ongoing operating costs, but it wouldn't be very much money compared to the initial plant construction costs.
In comparison, building a "smart grid" to simply allow large-scale renewables development is estimated to cost about $1 trillion. And the renewables to accompany the smart grid cost somewhere between "slightly more than nuclear power" and "4x more than nuclear power" depending on the technology and grid storage requirements. A recent concentrated-solar-thermal plant in Arizona (which is the only new renewable that can provide constant, reliable power output) cost $1.7 billion for 200 MW, or about twice as much per unit capacity as a new nuclear plant. So the nuclear option is almost certain to be much cheaper. This is empirically proven: France's electricity costs half as much as in Germany or Denmark (the two global "leaders" in renewables), and France emits dramatically less carbon dioxide than either of them.
Unfortunately, nuclear power is a political non-starter due to the Fukushima meltdown. Nuclear power kills about the same number of people as renewables do, and has displaced fewer than 1% as many people from their homes as renewables have, but that fact is completely lost amidst the public's irrational and ill-informed fear of radiation. It's sad -- the easiest, fastest, cheapest, and arguably safest way to fight global warming is politically impossible because of something as stupid as bad PR.
Too bad, OBiden & Co will not do anything and destroy what is working and left. Sooner v later someone and something will have to override these morons. This also means that Governors, including Abbott, will have to reopen coal plants while the transition occurs.

I have serious doubts about the landscape a year or two from now. I think we will be a whole lot worse off as a country while the pols dine on caviar.

Last edited:

FreeMiner

Legendary
Too bad, OBiden & Co will not do anything and destroy what is working and left. Sooner v later someone and something will have to override these morons. This also means that Governors, including Abbott, will have to reopen coal plants while the transition occurs.

I have serious doubts about the landscape a year or two from now. I think we will be a whole lot worse off as a country while the pols dine on caviar.
Problem is to get rid of fossil like they want America needs over 400 Nuclear power plants. Come on man that is cuckoo.
Back away from the Crack Pipe Boy and put your hands up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom