Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ukraine Conflict

Goldhedge

Legendary

Biggest Drone Attack Kiev, Advances Bakhmut, Ukr Hints Offensive Soon, UK MSM Talks No Fly Zones​

Goldhedge

Legendary
speed 1.5x

Russia Details Ukr Losses, Kakhovka Dam Destroyed to Enable Ukr Redeployment; Medvedev RU Offensive​

Goldhedge

Legendary
Chain of command issues?

June 03, 2023

The Ukrainian Military Is In Bad Shape
Erik Kramer and Paul Schneider are two former U.S. special operations soldiers who have been in Ukraine since 2022 to train Ukrainian troops.

At War on the Rocks they paint a dark picture of the state of the Ukrainian military. Their intent is to get money for more training, thus the real picture may be less dark than they describe. But even if one takes that into account it is still a sad state for an army that has been at war for more than a year. Some excerpts:

"Based on our nine months of training with all services of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, to include the Ground Forces (Army), Border Guard Service, National Guard, Naval Infantry (Marines), Special Operations Forces, and Territorial Defense Forces, we have observed a series of common trends: lack of mission command, effective training, and combined arms operations; ad hoc logistics and maintenance; and improper use of special operations forces. These trends have undermined Ukraine’s resistance and could hinder the success of the ongoing offensive."

What ongoing offensive?

Under mission command, the German Auftragstaktik, the leader disseminates his intent ("to attack through the northern woods to take town x") and authority to subunits that is passed down with the mission to empower subordinates at all levels. Each subunits can make its plans to coordinate and execute the mission as best as possible. The contrast is an order command where every detail of execution is ordered from the top down. Both have advantages but to have a mixed system, as Ukraine currently has, is the worst of all places.

"In our experience, across many units and staffs, the Ukrainian Armed Forces do not promote personal initiative and foster mutual trust or mission command. As Michael Kofman and Rob Lee recently discussed on the Russia Contingency podcast, elements of the Ukrainian Armed Forces have an old Soviet mentality that holds most decision-making at more senior levels. Amongst military leaders at the brigade level and below, our impression is that junior officers fear making mistakes.”

More

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
not possible

as NATO tanks are the best and the Russians suck
Yea. But they tell us Ukraine had more tanks than we the war started. So why are we giving them more? If I'm kicking your ass with 5 of my friends then why would I demand someone give me an extra 4 friends for this fight that I am easily winning?

Again. It's math to me. Shit just doesn't add up.

Yea. But they tell us Ukraine had more tanks than we the war started. So why are we giving them more? If I'm kicking your ass with 5 of my friends then why would I demand someone give me an extra 4 friends for this fight that I am easily winning?

Again. It's math to me. Shit just doesn't add up.
I was not being serious with my comment. The truth is like most thing our gov tells us..............180 degress the other way.

The devil is in the details, and that math detail ALWAYS is tells the story, agreed 1000%

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Well. It doesn't sound like things are going well for Ukr but I will assume that the pro war people will say that they killing the shit out russians and will be in Crimea in a week.

dirtytoeddawg

Legendary
All indications are that UKR is turning up the heat with shelling/drone work across the frontlines after the last 4 days of failing to penetrate in any meaningful manner. If they don’t make a real breakthrough in the next few days & continue to lose the numbers they have thus far maybe people will rethink this slaughter before it escalates out of control

Not sure if this has been brought up........so I will.

Our equipment, (USA) old and new, has not been tested against real conventional opposition, especially in that climate and terrain. It is a smart move for NATO to supply equipment, to learn about their own equipment and how it behaves, how the supply chain can handle logistics and so on. In addition, we can see how the Russians react to contact against our equipment.

In chess, the pawn usually go first.

Homewood

Elite
Founder

Our equipment, (USA) old and new, has not been tested against real conventional opposition, especially in that climate and terrain. It is a smart move for NATO to supply equipment, to learn about their own equipment and how it behaves, how the supply chain can handle logistics and so on. In addition, we can see how the Russians react to contact against our equipment.

The guinea pig always dies.

1686445650412.gif

Jtrain80

Legendary

I somewhat agree. Unfortunately 100's of thousands of human beings lost their lives to get those answers.

The drone warfare and UAV's is terrifying. I hope to never see another grenade dropped into a trench.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I somewhat agree. Unfortunately 100's of thousands of human beings lost their lives to get those answers.

The drone warfare and UAV's is terrifying. I hope to never see another grenade dropped into a trench.
The drones are why I think defending Taiwan is impossible now. We have boats in the ocean and a tiny island. China can launch 5000 drones a day at our boats and their military and they can do that for months. We simply can't resupply fast enough and would just lose men and material for no reason.... unless we nuked China.

The drones are why I think defending Taiwan is impossible now. We have boats in the ocean and a tiny island. China can launch 5000 drones a day at our boats and their military and they can do that for months. We simply can't resupply fast enough and would just lose men and material for no reason.... unless we nuked China.
Manufacturing is how conventional wars are won. Can we out manufacture China and Russia, no. Therefore, a war will have a bad outcome for US

Goldhedge

Legendary
Watch for it... these guys are uncannily accurate

Security guarantees, then Polish troops, and finally US troops​

Jtrain80

Legendary

They also have unmanned underwater vehicles. Man has became very adept at killing man.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

We've been in war since 2001. They have had every opportunity to test anything they wanted

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Yea, tested against 3rd World banana republic type of adversaries.

None of its been "tested" against, what they call a "near peer".
A dude down the road tiold me he had tested +4ox for the ronA . Never valued had it 5x before today lol
Hey the flu

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Yea, tested against 3rd World banana republic type of adversaries.

None of its been "tested" against, what they call a "near peer".
Yep. Word is that they have been able to jam most of our drones now and can shoot down a good number of our himars rockets. We gave up 2 effective weapons we could use in war to prop up a corrupt oligarchy for a few more months. Billions wasted.

CDDP

Legendary
Founder
The organizing principle of any society, Mr. Garrison, is for war. The authority of the state over its people resides in its war powers.

We've been in war since 2001. They have had every opportunity to test anything they wanted
When it comes to certain things, yes, such as small arms, clothing, camo, commo, boots, etc.......

I was in AFG in 2001, one of my bags, made of 1000d nylon cordura, tore like paper in -30 degrees. One would think that "they" would have tested this.

The "Panama Sole" boot tread compound was too soft for razor sharp AFG rocks, which is how the Vibran Sierra outsole became popular...............

things like that have been tested..in that enviroment.

We have not fought a conventional war, in the open, since Korea. In thruth we do not know how our stuff will measure up against the Russians ON THEIR HOME FIELD. Which is a big thing.

Imagine a war that has to be fought in the bitter cold, lest your eqipment sinks in the mud in transit.

Russia and the US fighting is not a good idea, especially for the US. I hate to say it, but have to call it like I see it. Sooner or later it comes down to the guy on the ground with the rifle, and the logistics to support them is very rough when you are so far from home.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Entire Ukr platoon surrendered. They were taking heavy casualties and they asked to be pulled out and their commander denied them so they called the Russians who let them surrender.

That doesn't sound like everyone in Ukr is ready to fight to the death to expel the evil Russians.

Goldhedge

Legendary
Entire Ukr platoon surrendered. They were taking heavy casualties and they asked to be pulled out and their commander denied them so they called the Russians who let them surrender.

That doesn't sound like everyone in Ukr is ready to fight to the death to expel the evil Russians.
Actually it sounds like a bunch of men being forced to fight in a war for a cause they don't believe in.

Top Bottom