Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brave browser is shit

muddytumbo

Poster
There’s a reason why brave is generally advised against on privacy forums, and even brave wanted it to be removed from privacytools.io to hide negativity.

Brave rewards: There’s many reasons why this is terrible for privacy, a lot don't care since it can be “disabled“ but in reality it isn’t actually disabled:

Despite explicitly opting out of telemetry, every few secs a request to: “variations.brave.com”, “laptop-updates.brave.com” which despite its name isn’t just for updates and fetches affiliates for brave rewards, with pings such as Grammarly, subtonic, uphold e.g. Despite again explicitly opting out of brave rewards. There’s also “static1.brave.com”

If you’re on Linux curl the static1 link. curl --head
static1.brave.com,
if you want proof of even further telemetry: it lists cloudfare and google, two unnecessary domains, but most importantly telemetry domains.

But say you were to enable it, which most brave users do since it’s the marketing scheme of the browser, it uses uphold:

To verify your identity, we collect your name, address, phone, email, and other similar information. We may also require you to provide additional Personal Data for verification purposes, including your date of birth, taxpayer or government identification number, or a copy of your government-issued identification
Uphold uses Veriff to verify your identity by determining whether a selfie you take matches the photo in your government-issued identification. Veriff’s facial recognition technology collects information from your photos that may include biometric data, and when you provide your selfie, you will be asked to agree that Veriff may process biometric data and other data (including special categories of data) from the photos you submit and share it with Uphold. Automated processes may be used to make a verification decision.
Oh sweet telemetry, now I can get rich, by earning a single pound every 2 months, with brave taking a 30 percent cut of all profits, all whilst selling my own data, what a deal.

In addition this request: “brave-core-ext.s3.brave.com” seems to either be some sort of shilling or suspicious behavior since it fetches 5 extensions and installs them. For all we know this could be a backdoor.

Previously in their privacy policy they shilled for Facebook, they shared data with Facebook, and afterwards they whitelisted Facebook, Twitter, and large company trackers for money in their AdBlock: Source. Which is quite ironic, since the whole purpose of its AdBlock is to block.. tracking.

I’d consider the final grain of salt to be its crappy tor implementation imo. Who makes tor but doesn’t change the dns? source It was literally snake oil, all traffic was leaked to your isp, but you were using “tor”. They only realized after backlash as well, which shows how inexperienced some staff were. If they don’t understand something, why implement it as a feature? It causes more harm than good. In fact they still haven’t fixed the extremely unique fingerprint.

There’s many other reasons why a lot of people dislike brave that aren't strictly telemetry related. It injecting its own referral links when users purchased cryptocurrency source. Brave promoting what I’d consider a scam (archive) on its sponsored backgrounds: etoro where 62% of users lose all their crypto potentially leading to bankruptcy, hence why brave is paid 200 dollars per sign up, because sweet profit. Not only that but it was accused of theft on its bat platform source, but I can’t fully verify this.

In fact there was a fork of brave (without telemetry) a while back, called braver but it was given countless lawsuits by brave, forced to rename, and eventually they gave up out of plain fear. It’s a shame really since open source was designed to encourage the community to participate, not a marketing feature.

Tl;dr: Brave‘s taken the fake privacy approach similar to a lot of other companies (e.g edge), use “privacy“ for marketing but in reality providing a hypocritical service which “blocks tracking” but instead tracks you.

Yes brave is certainly better than chrome for e.g, but its not the best option either, as an alternative for ios: snowhaze or firefox is great, on desktop librewolf or hardened Firefox is also good.

Juro

Elite
I use Brave constantly now, so while I agree with you that it’s not the most private browser, it’s better than Chrome.

Getting off of Chrome should be the first priority. After that, transiting to Brave is a little easier before getting to other alternatives.

muddytumbo

Poster
I use Brave constantly now, so while I agree with you that it’s not the most private browser, it’s better than Chrome.

Getting off of Chrome should be the first priority. After that, transiting to Brave is a little easier before getting to other alternatives.
Yeah but why not go to something that's not a steaming pile of garbage like Firefox?

Juro

Elite
Yeah but why not go to something that's not a steaming pile of garbage like Firefox?
What’s so special about Firefox? Why not switch to Tor?

For your question, I edit websites and work on some blogs. Brave allows me to still have several functions to edit them without issues.

muddytumbo

Poster
What’s so special about Firefox? Why not switch to Tor?

For your question, I edit websites and work on some blogs. Brave allows me to still have several functions to edit them without issues.
Just about every browser has a dev console, and if you wanna go with something like Tor I'm all for it. Tor just tends to run a bit slow because of all the obfuscation it does.

Stray

Poster
Try Mullvad Browser, much better when it comes to privacy, no tracking, no telemetry etc. I used to use Opera, but since it's owned by a chinese company, I consider it spyware from XJP and deleted it. Or switch to Kodachi Linux. It's one of the best OS when it comes to privacy.

Last edited:

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
There’s a reason why brave is generally advised against on privacy forums, and even brave wanted it to be removed from privacytools.io to hide negativity.

Brave rewards: There’s many reasons why this is terrible for privacy, a lot don't care since it can be “disabled“ but in reality it isn’t actually disabled:

Despite explicitly opting out of telemetry, every few secs a request to: “variations.brave.com”, “laptop-updates.brave.com” which despite its name isn’t just for updates and fetches affiliates for brave rewards, with pings such as Grammarly, subtonic, uphold e.g. Despite again explicitly opting out of brave rewards. There’s also “static1.brave.com”

If you’re on Linux curl the static1 link. curl --head
static1.brave.com,
if you want proof of even further telemetry: it lists cloudfare and google, two unnecessary domains, but most importantly telemetry domains.

But say you were to enable it, which most brave users do since it’s the marketing scheme of the browser, it uses uphold:

Oh sweet telemetry, now I can get rich, by earning a single pound every 2 months, with brave taking a 30 percent cut of all profits, all whilst selling my own data, what a deal.

In addition this request: “brave-core-ext.s3.brave.com” seems to either be some sort of shilling or suspicious behavior since it fetches 5 extensions and installs them. For all we know this could be a backdoor.

Previously in their privacy policy they shilled for Facebook, they shared data with Facebook, and afterwards they whitelisted Facebook, Twitter, and large company trackers for money in their AdBlock: Source. Which is quite ironic, since the whole purpose of its AdBlock is to block.. tracking.

I’d consider the final grain of salt to be its crappy tor implementation imo. Who makes tor but doesn’t change the dns? source It was literally snake oil, all traffic was leaked to your isp, but you were using “tor”. They only realized after backlash as well, which shows how inexperienced some staff were. If they don’t understand something, why implement it as a feature? It causes more harm than good. In fact they still haven’t fixed the extremely unique fingerprint.

There’s many other reasons why a lot of people dislike brave that aren't strictly telemetry related. It injecting its own referral links when users purchased cryptocurrency source. Brave promoting what I’d consider a scam (archive) on its sponsored backgrounds: etoro where 62% of users lose all their crypto potentially leading to bankruptcy, hence why brave is paid 200 dollars per sign up, because sweet profit. Not only that but it was accused of theft on its bat platform source, but I can’t fully verify this.

In fact there was a fork of brave (without telemetry) a while back, called braver but it was given countless lawsuits by brave, forced to rename, and eventually they gave up out of plain fear. It’s a shame really since open source was designed to encourage the community to participate, not a marketing feature.

Tl;dr: Brave‘s taken the fake privacy approach similar to a lot of other companies (e.g edge), use “privacy“ for marketing but in reality providing a hypocritical service which “blocks tracking” but instead tracks you.

Yes brave is certainly better than chrome for e.g, but its not the best option either, as an alternative for ios: snowhaze or firefox is great, on desktop librewolf or hardened Firefox is also good.
I never knew this. I like brave. I don't get any directed adverts or indicators of microphone being cut on like other browsers

madman71

Keeper of the Cheese
Founder
I started using Brave beta with shields exclusively for Youtube a few months ago, and have not had a single ad or popup/nag screen for using an adblocker.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Brave is a wonderful browser since it blocks the ads that my adblocker misses. Especially the videos Rivals puts on each team site of that goofy red bearded backwards hat wearing ginger. Brave got those quickly and I see no ads but I only use it on the team Rivals site.

Top Bottom