Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike Leach has passed away. RIP. Post your favorite Leach moments in his memory

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
were-not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
I remember the very first time I interviewed Coach Mike Leach. I was excited. What journalist wouldn't be? Who wouldn't want a one-on-one with the most quotable coach in the history of college football?

As I prepared my questions, I wondered what direction the conversation would take. Would he talk about his favorite Smurf, the best flavor of Kool-Aid or something else altogether. I admit that I was a little nervous. I was eager to make a good first impression.

It turned out that Leach already knew my work. He spent the first 30 minutes interviewing me. His first question was, "So what really went on with Hugh Freeze?" I took some time to fill him in and answer all of his questions. He had several. How did I find this? Did I talk to this person or that person? He was fascinated by it all. As interesting as Leach is, he is equally as inquisitive.

Mike Leach knows a little about a lot. He has an opinion on nearly every topic. The veteran coach is always willing to share his thoughts, but he is just as curious to know what you think. At times, he will say, "That's a good point" or "Here's where you're going wrong."

That first interview was just the beginning of a relationship that I now consider a friendship. At times, the phone would ring late at night. Leach liked to know what was going on and what I was up to. Once we had an interview set for 11 PM. He stayed on the phone until well after 1 AM. Leach ran the gambit. He told me about the infancy of the Air Raid, how his wife thought she was marrying a lawyer and the navigation patterns of the Apache Indians of the southwest. I never know where he is going to go and that is the joy of the whole deal.

Once after a film session I was able to observe, I asked Leach about why the Bulldogs won a certain game and what turned the tide. He wiped some snuff from his chin and said, "We were just tougher than them." Leach spit into a white Styrofoam cup and shared, "That's the biggest part of football, toughness."

During one conversation, Leach said that my book Flim Flam should be a movie. It wasn't just lip service to him either. A few days later, he sent me screen shots where he had sent messages to some people he knows in the movie industry. He didn't owe that to me, but he did it anyway.

Leach has an insatiable appetite for knowledge and he likes to talk about the history of the State and Ole Miss rivalry. I recounted the story of the 1915 meeting between the two schools and how the Rebels had ducked the Aggies the three previous seasons. Mississippi A&M took out three years of frustration on the Rebels once they got them back on the field. The final score was 65-0. Leach raised his eyebrows and said with a grin, "So that's what we're shooting for?"

We met earlier this season in his office to shoot the bull one night. He was curious how I had stayed sober as long as I have. He wanted to know what the secret was for longtime recovery. He was interested in my story. I told him the cliff notes' version. He sat there quietly and barely spoke. Occasionally, he would need some clarity on something, but he mainly listened. As the conversation ended, I saw some Mississippi State students playing flag football on the State practice field. I asked, "Coach, did you know about this?"

He got up and surveyed the scene. As he watched, I said, "Dan (Mullen) wouldn't have been real happy about this." Leach countered with, "Why not? Look at how much fun they're having. They will remember this for the rest of their lives. Hell, we need more kids out here playing. That field is new. We need to get it broken in. Even if we didn't, their level of enjoyment far exceeds any level of inconvenience we might have. I need to call the intramurals department and get more kids out here playing."

The Friday after the Battle for the Golden Egg, I drove 17 hours to New Mexico to spend some time with my wife, Dana. She's working a contract out there. I am not too proud to say that I have been miserable without her here. I was eager to get there. I drove all day and most of the night to ensure I could be there when she got off work.

A couple of days into the trip, the phone rings. I turned the phone so my wife could see that it was Coach Leach. I stepped outside to talk with him. We talked about what it meant to him to win the Golden Egg for the first time, the NCAA portal and which bowl game State might be invited to. Freeze was about to be hired at Auburn, so he wondered what my thoughts were about that. Honestly, I have few.

He invited me to come by the Seal Football Complex soon, but I shared with him that I wasn't in town. I told him I was enjoying some downtime with my bride. Leach said, "Let me talk to her. I need to let her know what a good guy she has." I put the phone on speaker and away he went. He told her that he was sorry she couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving and that we had won the Egg Bowl just for her. Then he launched into all of the neat places there were to see and and eat in New Mexico. Leach has seen and done it all it appears.

A fan of the show Breaking Bad, Leach connected with me over the show. He mentioned before a media session that Walter White and I both wore the same hat. He said, "I knew you were a Breaking Bad guy from the beginning." The show was shot in New Mexico, so he had a lot to say about that. Before I finished my trip, I stopped by the Dog House, a famous location in the show. Leach was pleased.

I woke up Saturday morning to take my dogs out. I grabbed the phone and saw I had a text from Coach. He sent a link to a list of hotels I needed to consider staying at when I went back out to New Mexico. The time of the text? 3:26 A.M. Classic Leach.

Today has been a very difficult day for all involved. The tragedy of it all makes me realize how precious life is. I makes me appreciate my friends. It makes me realize how privileged I am to have any kind of relationship with the colorful Mike Leach. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but my hope is that the Pirate gets to keep swinging his sword. My earnest prayer is that Mike gets to head back out to Key West and have a lengthy and relaxing retirement with his wife, Sharon. No matter how badly we all feel, the family feels it 100 fold.

I cherish every conversation I've had with Leach. I always learn something. During our conversation last week while I was out west, he talked about the wife and I coming to Key West for a visit. He promised to introduce me to all the pirates. Tonight, there is not much I wouldn't do to ensure that happens. Keep fighting, Mike. Keep fighting!

ETNVol

Legendary
Founder
Prayers for Coach Leach and his family.

He seems to be a man who loves life. You look at a lot of guys in his spot, and they seem to be in misery. Leach looks and talks like someone who knows he's fortunate to have such a position and is trying to enjoy it to the hilt.

Rube Reaper

Elite
This is so sad but shows the importance of getting vaccinated and boosted. Maybe if he had then his family wouldn’t be getting ready to take him off of life support.

Rube Reaper

Elite
NCAA required 85% of all players and staff to be jabbed. More likely than not he was jabbed.
Maybe but hard to tell.

Likely out of date with his boosters after seeing those clips of him, seeing his skin colour, and knowing he coach inside the cult-belt. Given that he was suffering from pneumonia getting boosted should have been a given.

Top Bottom