Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hilton Head and Charleston Recs Needed

316what

Poster
Founder
Anyone have recs for Hilton Head and Charleston?

Must see things/places, restaurants, bars/pubs/breweries?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder

Little more info like how old you are, where you are staying, how many dudes you are looking to pick up etc would be helpful.

Charleston: Walking down King street, through the old slave market, down to the battery is always a good time. Too many good restaurants to name. Good music scene (pre-covid) at Charletson Music Hall and other places if you are into that. Beach towns Folly Beach (younger crowd) and Sullivnas Island (milfy crowd) are fun to visit. Golf is not bad if you are into it. And the bar scene on king street at night time is legit.

HunterPKP

Poster
Founder
Way too much to describe for Charleston. It may be the best food city per capita in the USA. That's not an exaggeration. @Taggart hit some good spots on HHI. Marriott Beach Resort is great hotel down there. Staying there in August.

316what

Poster
Founder
Little more info like how old you are, where you are staying, how many dudes you are looking to pick up etc would be helpful.

Charleston: Walking down King street, through the old slave market, down to the battery is always a good time. Too many good restaurants to name. Good music scene (pre-covid) at Charletson Music Hall and other places if you are into that. Beach towns Folly Beach (younger crowd) and Sullivnas Island (milfy crowd) are fun to visit. Golf is not bad if you are into it. And the bar scene on king street at night time is legit.

53, Hilton property in Mt Pleasant (free), only picking up one dude (gf’s son). Thanks for the drink recs…..music/drinks in the evenings and some sight seeing during the day.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
53, Hilton property in Mt Pleasant (free), only picking up one dude (gf’s son). Thanks for the drink recs…..music/drinks in the evenings and some sight seeing during the day.
Acme for breakfast/boozing it is on IOP
Wild Dunes has a pretty good course by the ocean.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
Halls Chophouse in Charleston is phenomenal. Great atmosphere and one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. Oak is a great restaurant also. If you‘re taking kids, would recommend the SC Aquarium. Lots to see and do. The Market downtown is touristy, but lots of cool shops and good restaurants/bars in the area. If you‘re looking for a beach, Isle of Palms is great, but might be a little busy. Sullivan’s island is right next door and usually a little less crowded. Lots of good restaurants down there too. There’s one on Isle of Palms called Acme Lowcountry Kitchen That has great shrimp and grits (local favorite). Fair warning, it’s usually packed, but worth the wait. If you go, get the gouda grit fries. It’s not heart healthy, but it’s unbelievably good. Coda del Pesce is an upscale Italian place on IOP that is lesser known, but some of the best food I’ve had down there. If you like hot dogs, there’s a place in Mount Pleasant called Jack’s Cosmic Dogs that has the best hot dogs around. Folly beach on the other side of Charleston is a good beach also. There’s a local seafood restaurant out that way called Bowen’s Island Restaurant that’s really rustic, but really good. Hope this helps. I agree with previous poster that it would be impossible to list all of the good restaurants, but those are some of my favorites.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
Forgot the Windjammer on IOP. Great bar. Usually has live music, but not sure what they’re doing with COVID.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

I have no idea about HHI, but I’m pretty well versed on Charleston. How many days will you be there? What type of things do y’all enjoy doing? What type of food do you prefer? How old are the kids?

316what

Poster
Founder
I have no idea about HHI, but I’m pretty well versed on Charleston. How many days will you be there? What type of things do y’all enjoy doing? What type of food do you prefer? How old are the kids?

5 days in Charleston. Everyone is 21+. Drinking and sight seeing top the list. Any good local breweries? No preference on food as long as it’s good. Thanks in advance.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
5 days in Charleston. Everyone is 21+. Drinking and sight seeing top the list. Any good local breweries? No preference on food as long as it’s good. Thanks in advance.

Even if it is a touristy thing to do, I always love the historical stuff in Charleston. You should be able to get a tour by boat of the harbor, battery, Castle Pinckney, Fort Sumter, etc, right there at Patriot's Point where your hotel is. Charleston is beautiful from the water, and they will drop you off on Fort Sumter for a walking tour. The carraige tours downtown can be good if you have a good guide.

GamecockDude

Poster
I actually live in Mt. P. Hobcaw brewery, Two Blokes are both in Mt. P and have been to both, good beer. Shem Creek has decent restaurants with great views and lots of folks go out, Tavern and Table, Salt Water Cowboys. Opal is really good along with Langdon’s, both located is strip centers but food is delicious. Sullivans is good beach, Poe’s is a great burger joint with cold beer out there, Obstinate Daughter is a great restuarant for dinner out there. Downtown Charleston is loaded with restaurants, Hall’s and Oak for steaks, Leon’s for seafood, Melfi’s for Italian. Upper King Street is good to go out and find lots of bars for drinking, it will be crowded.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I actually live in Mt. P. Hobcaw brewery, Two Blokes are both in Mt. P and have been to both, good beer. Shem Creek has decent restaurants with great views and lots of folks go out, Tavern and Table, Salt Water Cowboys. Opal is really good along with Langdon’s, both located is strip centers but food is delicious. Sullivans is good beach, Poe’s is a great burger joint with cold beer out there, Obstinate Daughter is a great restuarant for dinner out there. Downtown Charleston is loaded with restaurants, Hall’s and Oak for steaks, Leon’s for seafood, Melfi’s for Italian. Upper King Street is good to go out and find lots of bars for drinking, it will be crowded.

Good call on Poe's. My favorite place to chill with a beer & burger down there. The mahi tacos are the tits too. Have heard good things about the Obstinate Daughter, but have not tried it.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Funny enough, I already planned a trip to Charleston in August. But I’m curious you would say this?

Not sure but if you like inshore fishing, all summer is good for big redfish...August though, will not only give you a good shot at big reds, but a guide can give you a decent chance at jumping a tarpon.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Funny enough, I already planned a trip to Charleston in August. But I’m curious you would say this?
Because it’s going to be hot and humid as shit. Maybe you will get lucky and there will be a nice coastal breeze. It could be anywhere from 90 to 105 degrees with 80% humidity. Pretty much guaranteed thunderstorm for a half hour around 4:30 or 5pm in the afternoon to let the humidity out.

Charleston is a walking town so when it’s hot and humid it can be a bit uncomfortable. Hopefully you get lucky and it stays cooled off a bit

the rAUck

Poster

Food wise, do at least one upscale night at Hall's, The Ordinary, or Fig and then you can piece together the rest. Get started on resis now though, things book solid at any decent time 30 days out.

If you've got a larger group try Xiao Bao Biscuit, you can order everything on the menu and share it across the table. Other solid dinner spots downtown that won't be a pain in the ass reservation wise would be Edmund's Oast, Delaney Oyster House, Rodney Scott, Home Team (Sullivan's Island location as well), 167 Raw, Darling Oyster Bar, Lewis BBQ/Juan Luis, The Grocery, Baker and Brewer, and Hanks. Another low key awesome thing to try is the 2Nixons ramen pop-up at a bar called Proof, check their instagram for days. Ramen is weird suggestion I know, but they do some wild broths based on local blue crab that is just unreal.

If you're looking for brunch/lunch, Bodega at Uptown Social, Miller's All Day, Dap's, Blind Tiger, are all fun. Great brunch is a dime a dozen around here, but those are standouts.

Breweries start and stop with Revelry. Their rooftop is awesome, and usually have a DJ for "sunsets" which bring a solid crowd. Holy City up in North Charleston is another favorite, a little out of the way but well worth it. You can combine it with Commonhouse in Park Circle to fill up some time as well.

If you're mid 20s or divorced late 40's there is nowhere like the drinking scene here. If you're going hard Dispensary will be your best bet, strongest drinks and live music Wed-Sat. There's a spot called Ink that just reopened/rebranded that is a solid lounge to get a bottle and have a good time. Uptown Social will be the most crowded and largest venue, drinks are weak, but the scenery will make up for it.

Other solid spots you may not hear recommended are Cocktail Club, Dalila's, Franny and the Fox, and AC's. You can also venture over to Shem Creek and day drink at Saltwater Cowboy's, Reds, and Waters Edge.

Last thing, don't skip Sunday. Most fun day of the week here; Uptown Social will have DJ's upstairs around 3, then transition to live music downstairs in the evening; the crowd will move to Trio til 2a to shut it down.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Food wise, do at least one upscale night at Hall's, The Ordinary, or Fig and then you can piece together the rest. Get started on resis now though, things book solid at any decent time 30 days out.

If you've got a larger group try Xiao Bao Biscuit, you can order everything on the menu and share it across the table. Other solid dinner spots downtown that won't be a pain in the ass reservation wise would be Edmund's East, Delaney Oyster House, Rodney Scott, Home Team (Sullivan's Island location as well), 167 Raw, Darling Oyster Bar, Lewis BBQ/Juan Luis, The Grocery, Baker and Brewer, and Hanks. Another low key awesome thing to try is the 2Nixons ramen pop-up at a bar called Proof, check their instagram for days. Ramen is weird suggestion I know, but they do some wild broths based on local blue crab that is just unreal.

If you're looking for brunch/lunch, Bodega at Uptown Social, Miller's All Day, Dap's, Blind Tiger, are all fun. Great brunch is a dime a dozen around here, but those are standouts.

Breweries start and stop with Revelry. Their rooftop is awesome, and usually have a DJ for "sunsets" which bring a solid crowd. Holy City up in North Charleston is another favorite, a little out of the way but well worth it. You can combine it with Commonhouse in Park Circle to fill up some time as well.

If you're mid 20s or divorced late 40's there is nowhere like the drinking scene here. If you're going hard Dispensary will be your best bet, strongest drinks and live music Wed-Sat. There's a spot called Ink that just reopened/rebranded that is a solid lounge to get a bottle and have a good time. Uptown Social will be the most crowded and largest venue, drinks are weak, but the scenery will make up for it.

Other solid spots you may not hear recommended are Cocktail Club, Dalila's, Franny and the Fox, and AC's. You can also venture over to Shem Creek and day drink at Saltwater Cowboy's, Reds, and Waters Edge.

Last thing, don't skip Sunday. Most fun day of the week here; Uptown Social will have DJ's upstairs around 3, then transition to live music downstairs in the evening; the crowd will move to Trio til 2a to shut it down.
Solid write up. I live here and need to try some
Of these recs. Thanks!!

Viking

Legendary
Founder
The owner of Red's is an OMPer from way back. Got some stories when Mt. P was 16,000 people a stop light. We ran wild on Hungryneck. SKOL!

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder

I stop to see Chris and family in HHI always. Def a must see......then quickly head on Sea Island to scrub the poor off of me.

Taggart

Elite
Founder
I’m at Lucky Rooster on HHI tonight instead of Freeport
I've eaten there... it's ok, a little overrated IMO. Santa Fe Cafe right next to it is the bomb though.

Edit: nevermind, you're playing there instead of eating there. I'll be down at HHI in late July.

Last edited:

IslandBoiler

Poster
I've eaten there... it's ok, a little overrated IMO. Santa Fe Cafe right next to it is the bomb though.

Edit: nevermind, you're playing there instead of eating there. I'll be down at HHI in late July.
I agree, little too expensive, but new owner, so we’ll see. And the roof patio, at Santa Fe, one of my favorite spots here

Latest posts

Top Bottom