Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GUN Thread

Muzzle energy - ME is a terrible way to determine lethality of a round. Why I put the TKO Chart.

Example -

22-250 has more speed and energy.

Which round do you want if a grizzly is coming at you?
I would want whichever I could shoot faster and more effectively..........

I think we are in a misunderstnading, you are talking about lethality vs energy and penetration, they are different.

understand i am not saying that 45 does not have a place, it does, but 9mm is much more well rounded in my opinion.

Back to the bear question, going back to calibers we were discussing, I would choose a glock 17 with M1152 with 18 rounds over a 1911 with 8 rounds all day.

In the lethality arguement, you must include shot placement. Hell I would want a 12ga slug in a bear pistol, assuming i hit the bear in the head on the first shot, which I would likely not.

Also I have much experience with both, and while I could, I own no 45 caliber pistols.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
M1152 is 115grn, and likely not on that list. Basically a flat FMJ +p+.........it is a bad boy and accurate out to 200m (with carbine) I have made 100% hits on a 12 inch target at 200 with it.

Velocity: 1320 (fps)

Energy: 445 (ft/lbs)

typical 9mm is in the 350-390 ftlbs realm
The typical . 45 ACP load is a 230-grain bullet fired at 830 fps for about 355 foot-pounds of muzzle energy.

Look up the m1152, it is the new 9mm for the military, it is a game changer

Pineapple

Legendary
I would want whichever I could shoot faster and more effectively..........

I think we are in a misunderstnading, you are talking about lethality vs energy and penetration, they are different.

understand i am not saying that 45 does not have a place, it does, but 9mm is much more well rounded in my opinion.

Back to the bear question, going back to calibers we were discussing, I would choose a glock 17 with M1152 with 18 rounds over a 1911 with 8 rounds all day.

In the lethality arguement, you must include shot placement. Hell I would want a 12ga slug in a bear pistol, assuming i hit the bear in the head on the first shot, which I would likely not.

Also I have much experience with both, and while I could, I own no 45 caliber pistols.
Why am I limited to 8? I can carry a G21, and do, with 13 rounds plus 1 chambered.

The 9mm is a fine round. Compared to the .45 ACP, as a defense round, it is inferior. It simply cannot compare. If you want to discuss compact carry/rounds in magazine then you win.

Personally, I want a round that will stop someone. Even if I had to have 8+1 vs the 9mm option.

Fun discussion. I’m a ballistic nut!

Why am I limited to 8? I can carry a G21, and do, with 13 rounds plus 1 chambered.

The 9mm is a fine round. Compared to the .45 ACP, as a defense round, it is inferior. It simply cannot compare. If you want to discuss compact carry/rounds in magazine then you win.

Personally, I want a round that will stop someone. Even if I had to have 8+1 vs the 9mm option.

Fun discussion. I’m a ballistic nut!
I have stopped someone with 9mm, would it have happened faster with 45, maybe.....

my experiences are more hands on than based in math..........love to discuss other gun related stuff, what you got?

RHT 3

Elite
Agreed,

look up the M1152 9mm, many do not know about it, but it is 9mm on steroids, the new 9mm for our military.

The latest real advancement is with the ammo, and hybrid cases. The military is adopting a high pressure round that is brass bodied, and stainless rimmed to hold up to the 90000 psi. Guns really cant change much, but the ammo can.
I've seen articles about the polymer/steel ammo in the magazines but usually for rifles.

That pressure is insane !!! I really wonder how many gun companies want to make a gun that has to handle that high pressure stuff. I know I don't want to handle that shit.

The 9 vs 45 debate will never die lol. I'm a .45 guy. This fascination with fps is a way for companies and 9 fans to say " we almost have the energy of a 45". Uhh no.

You ever see picture of the Civil War ? What's the fps on a musket ball ?

Big and slow has proven time and again to be a devastating combo. The average .45 travels 3 football fields per second !! That's fast enough for me. All with a huge bullet.

To each their own, but when the zombies hit I ain't reaching for a 9.

REMESSIS

Poster
Founder
What’s been up homies, I haven’t been over here in months. Here’s my bitch.

10.5” Noveske N4
SOPMOD stock
TangoDown vertical grip
EOTECH EXPS2 holographic site
AAC M4-2000 suppressor
AN/PEQ-15 ATPIAL
Surefire X300U-A weapon light
Surefire DS-SR07-D-IT weapon light switch
AF8DF594-1FA8-4801-AC83-BEEDB376B5C1.jpeg

1EAD1CB2-90B9-423D-89B1-591A4D7F4955.jpeg

I've seen articles about the polymer/steel ammo in the magazines but usually for rifles.

That pressure is insane !!! I really wonder how many gun companies want to make a gun that has to handle that high pressure stuff. I know I don't want to handle that shit.

The 9 vs 45 debate will never die lol. I'm a .45 guy. This fascination with fps is a way for companies and 9 fans to say " we almost have the energy of a 45". Uhh no.

You ever see picture of the Civil War ? What's the fps on a musket ball ?

Big and slow has proven time and again to be a devastating combo. The average .45 travels 3 football fields per second !! That's fast enough for me. All with a huge bullet.

To each their own, but when the zombies hit I ain't reaching for a 9.
the ammo is the limiter of pressure no so much the gun.......

Yeah but that gun has to be able to handle that pressure. I ain't holding a gun that has a 90k pressurized bullet lol.

Just in case the metallurgy was off at the plant....:oops:

Ordered a stripped lower yesterday, once that comes in I think I'm going to file a form 1 and build me an SBR in 300 BLK. F*ck it.
I think that is a good way to go. good luck. post some pictures some time.

I figured some would appreciate this. Most would not really have much an idea of what these pictures show. I have done a bunch of work to this gun........

It started life as an Arsenal SA-M7 which is a high end AKM with a milled receiver. In a quest for the most accurate AK on earth..........I pulled the factory 16'' barrel and replaced it with an M72 pattern RPK barrel, chrome lined, 21 inch. Going for the custom look, I had to fabricate on my milling machine, a bracket to interface the much thicker RPK barrel, to the Magpul Zhukov handguard. I sourced the gas block and rear sight block from an RPK parts kit.

Topped with an ACOG, 3x24 with the 7.62 Russian BDC reticle.

To most, this seems like a simple thing, but unknown to most, AKs are very difficult to deal with..............not tooting my own horn, but it is a bunch of work. Most in the country would not attempt this..........nor have they.....To my knowledge this is the only one of its kind.

I commonly get 4 touchers @ 100m, with one flier.............of course

Anyway, figured I would share

KIMG0723.JPGKIMG0724.JPGKIMG0725.JPGKIMG0726.JPGKIMG0727.JPG

Nayat

Elite
Just need a trigger and my lower will be complete. I think I am going to build a pistol due to the ability to hunt deer with subsonic rounds legally in my state. Regulations require 900ftlb at 100 yards out of a rife, but only 400flb at 50 yards with a pistol.

Then, according to ATF law at the moment, I can legally place a 16" barrel/upper on it and then a stock if I'd like to reach out at try and touch something with it. Then I can take off the stock, and put on the pistol upper on it again and be perfectly legal.

I am just waiting for my FFL to call and finalize the Form 4 eform for my Bushwhacker 46. I get conjugal visits while it's in jail at least for the next 2-9 months.

RHT 3

Elite
Just need a trigger and my lower will be complete. I think I am going to build a pistol due to the ability to hunt deer with subsonic rounds legally in my state. Regulations require 900ftlb at 100 yards out of a rife, but only 400flb at 50 yards with a pistol.

Then, according to ATF law at the moment, I can legally place a 16" barrel/upper on it and then a stock if I'd like to reach out at try and touch something with it. Then I can take off the stock, and put on the pistol upper on it again and be perfectly legal.

I am just waiting for my FFL to call and finalize the Form 4 eform for my Bushwhacker 46. I get conjugal visits while it's in jail at least for the next 2-9 months.
Well what trigger you using fam ?

I would be careful with that....................if the lower is registered by serial number as a pistol...........then it cannot have a stock or brace on it.............just because you put a longer barrelled upper does not mean that the completed gun is not still a pistol..................trust me............

And some say "there is no registration".......well federal that would be technically correct.............but the manufacturers do serialize their guns as "longguns or handguns".................if someone really wanted to dig into it, LEO could call up the manufacturer of the lower you have and see if it was built as a handgun or long gun.

The only way you can put a stock on a pistol is to register with ATF as an NFA item................again, do your research, but if made a handgun, it is always a handgun...........

CDDP

Legendary
Founder
Top selling guns of 2022

Fnpnf_sXkAAiAtd

Fnpnf_qX0AU8Te0

Nayat

Elite
I would be careful with that....................if the lower is registered by serial number as a pistol...........then it cannot have a stock or brace on it.............just because you put a longer barrelled upper does not mean that the completed gun is not still a pistol..................trust me............

And some say "there is no registration".......well federal that would be technically correct.............but the manufacturers do serialize their guns as "longguns or handguns".................if someone really wanted to dig into it, LEO could call up the manufacturer of the lower you have and see if it was built as a handgun or long gun.

The only way you can put a stock on a pistol is to register with ATF as an NFA item................again, do your research, but if made a handgun, it is always a handgun...........
Its transferred as "other" to me.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Thinking of giving the PSA drop in trigger for $80 a try.
I have a cmc drop in for my AR. I can't believe the difference. I used steel wool and a file on my stock trigger to make it smoother and its not even close. I would of never thought I could let someone shoot my rifle and they would immediately turn to me and say "wow, I love that trigger". LOL.

I have a cmc drop in for my AR. I can't believe the difference. I used steel wool and a file on my stock trigger to make it smoother and its not even close. I would of never thought I could let someone shoot my rifle and they would immediately turn to me and say "wow, I love that trigger". LOL.
CMC and Larue make the be3st triggers, with larue being more reliable in my experiences.

Nayat

Elite
then you might be set...............just be careful is all I am saying
It will built as a pistol, taken photographs of, and then taken to the range to be videoed being shot as a pistol.

Then I'll buy the 16" upper for it. Just have to make sure that upper is on before adding the stock and remove the stock before taking that upper off.

7AD4A6A4-BED2-463A-A97F-C10233A18258.jpeg

RHT 3

Elite
Thinking of giving the PSA drop in trigger for $80 a try.
CMC and Larue make the be3st triggers, with larue being more reliable in my experiences.
Triggers are the most subjective part of the rifle lol. My Saint shot just fine and I have no idea what it had trigger wise.

Of course my main go to is a Galil Ace in 7.62 and I grew up on revolvers and shotguns so I ain't exactly a trigger aficionado.

Triggers are the most subjective part of the rifle lol. My Saint shot just fine and I have no idea what it had trigger wise.

Of course my main go to is a Galil Ace in 7.62 and I grew up on revolvers and shotguns so I ain't exactly a trigger aficionado.
Ace is nice gun and Ak type trigger are normally good.........the stock AR trigger sucks

Nayat

Elite

The PSA AR10 I recently acquired came with their Enhanced Polished Trigger(EPT) and its smooth AF, that along with the reviews have me considering giving it a try.

I genuinely believe PSA is trying to provide a quality product at a good price using their purchasing power in bulk.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
The PSA AR10 I recently acquired came with their Enhanced Polished Trigger(EPT) and its smooth AF, that along with the reviews have me considering giving it a try.

I genuinely believe PSA is trying to provide a quality product at a good price using their purchasing power in bulk.
Hasn't PSA also prioritized orders from states that push through gun control legislation to get those out before the law takes effect?

Densel

Poster
I figured some would appreciate this. Most would not really have much an idea of what these pictures show. I have done a bunch of work to this gun........

It started life as an Arsenal SA-M7 which is a high end AKM with a milled receiver. In a quest for the most accurate AK on earth..........I pulled the factory 16'' barrel and replaced it with an M72 pattern RPK barrel, chrome lined, 21 inch. Going for the custom look, I had to fabricate on my milling machine, a bracket to interface the much thicker RPK barrel, to the Magpul Zhukov handguard. I sourced the gas block and rear sight block from an RPK parts kit.

Topped with an ACOG, 3x24 with the 7.62 Russian BDC reticle.

To most, this seems like a simple thing, but unknown to most, AKs are very difficult to deal with..............not tooting my own horn, but it is a bunch of work. Most in the country would not attempt this..........nor have they.....To my knowledge this is the only one of its kind.

I commonly get 4 touchers @ 100m, with one flier.............of course

Anyway, figured I would share

View attachment 164486View attachment 164487View attachment 164488View attachment 164489View attachment 164490
Nice, is it yours?

RHT 3

Elite
Anyone own a FN pistol ? They just released a 545 and 510 in .45 and 10mm that look rather tempting.

I'm a Ruger man since I'm an American but have been looking for a new .45 pistol.

10 mmm does nothing for me. I already own several .357's :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Top Bottom