Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GUN Thread

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I wish some one would do a retro line of stuff........nowadays every gun has to have a rail and a RDS and a gucci magwell................wish someone would come back with tube guns......
images

View attachment 179551
images

make them well and sell them cheap, that is how you really fight the tide.
IMG_1062.JPG

There is a co that makes replicas of old submachine guns. I'll look for the name of the co.

The 5.7 is picking up steam now that Ruger came out with a pistol and a carbine for it.

FN even updated their overpriced pistol. I guess S&W has one now as well.

I don't know if it will ever take off as the grips are kinda long and will be a hindrance to manlets and women.

But I like them. Maybe one day.
wonder if anyone is making a cheaper version of the ammo?

new kit

So this is an Arsenal SAM7R, with a Trijicon Hunter60mm Thermal Scope.

$10000 bucks sitting on the floor

Attachments

• AKTHERM.jpg
    AKTHERM.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Haven't looked but I doubt it. Just not enough consistent demand in the market for the gun or round.

It's a cool caliber and gun but what role does it really fill that can't be replicated better by any number of calibers ?
I agree. 5.7 is cool, but there is nothing that it can do that 9mm cant, in the real world. There are some calibers out there like 4.6x30 which is made for defeating body armor, but good luck with that one.

To be honest, now is not the best time for that, but I you dont have on, there is no better time. A milspec AR is a milspec AR. Some makers have nice features thna others, but if I were to buy one today, I would go with one from Springfield Armory.

To be honest, now is not the best time for that, but I you dont have on, there is no better time. A milspec AR is a milspec AR. Some makers have nice features thna others, but if I were to buy one today, I would go with one from Springfield Armory.
@TheResister

which would you recommend.........of course all things being equal, and price not a concern, an FN or DD would be better, but for the buck SA has a good rifle.

TheResister

Poster
@TheResister

which would you recommend.........of course all things being equal, and price not a concern, an FN or DD would be better, but for the buck SA has a good rifle.
In all seriousness, I prefer to build my own stuff. That way I know what is in it; I know how to take it apart and fix it. Most of all I'm aware of which parts are the best and what works.

Instead of talking about who makes the best rifles, you should concentrate on features. I see people go out and blow money on a rifle with all kinds of furniture on it and it looks neat, but they have a cheap barrel, a substandard bolt, sub par sights and a run of the mill trigger.

Spending more money doesn't mean getting a better rifle. The questions you should ask when buying an AR style of rifle is whether or not the barrel is a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel with chrome lining. You want a bolt that is MPI inspected and preferably 158 Carpenter Steel. I use nickel boron bolts by Toolcraft. Even if you have an optic, opt for decent sights. Triggers? That would be an entire thread. How does your factory weapon stack up? BTW, places like PSA have cheap and expensive - nice quality stuff.

TheResister

Poster
100% agreed.

most cannot build their own. I do not own an ar15, but and Ar10 which I built.

All the items you mentioned are MilSpec, with exception to the boron BCG, which should be milspec.

I agree that most people don't build their own weapons, but in considering gun control down the road you would be well advised to. What I would say to those who consider purchases is to look at it like this:

Not many, if any, rifle manufacturers (of the AR variety) forge their own upper and lower receivers. A few companies make the uppers and lowers, so what you pay for is a roll mark. What is more important are the features we mentioned before: barrel, bolt, trigger and sights.

SOLGW, FN, Daniel Defense and BCM have some of the best barrels you can buy. I also have a Sonics 1 x 8 chrome lined barrel that has an excellent record. If you buy a nitride barrel, expect a barrel that won't hold up as good under sustained fire. If you want a rifle that can handle all the different bullet weights (55 grain to 77 grain), get a 1 x 7 or 1 x 8. Some rifles have 1 x 9 all the way to 1 x14 twist rates. In any rifle that is the first thing I'm going to look at.

Just an anecdotal story: One time I bought a PWA receiver on sale. A couple years later there was a sale on LMT uppers on Gunbroker. So, I put this rifle together and it was better than most rifles I'd ever shot. A year or so later a guy bought an LMT lower with the intention of building his own rifle. He gave up and I bought his receiver. I took out the internals of the PWA and put them into the new LMT lower. What I ended up with was an all LMT rifle because LMT had bought out PWA and all they changed were the letters in the rollmark on the lower receiver. Long story short: I built an LMT for less than $1200 (and it has the high end LMT trigger.) These sell for a little over $1800 in stores. I had saved over $600 and could fix it once the excrement interacts with the electric oscillating device making the AR unavailable to civilians.

I agree that most people don't build their own weapons, but in considering gun control down the road you would be well advised to. What I would say to those who consider purchases is to look at it like this:

Not many, if any, rifle manufacturers (of the AR variety) forge their own upper and lower receivers. A few companies make the uppers and lowers, so what you pay for is a roll mark. What is more important are the features we mentioned before: barrel, bolt, trigger and sights.

SOLGW, FN, Daniel Defense and BCM have some of the best barrels you can buy. I also have a Sonics 1 x 8 chrome lined barrel that has an excellent record. If you buy a nitride barrel, expect a barrel that won't hold up as good under sustained fire. If you want a rifle that can handle all the different bullet weights (55 grain to 77 grain), get a 1 x 7 or 1 x 8. Some rifles have 1 x 9 all the way to 1 x14 twist rates. In any rifle that is the first thing I'm going to look at.

Just an anecdotal story: One time I bought a PWA receiver on sale. A couple years later there was a sale on LMT uppers on Gunbroker. So, I put this rifle together and it was better than most rifles I'd ever shot. A year or so later a guy bought an LMT lower with the intention of building his own rifle. He gave up and I bought his receiver. I took out the internals of the PWA and put them into the new LMT lower. What I ended up with was an all LMT rifle because LMT had bought out PWA and all they changed were the letters in the rollmark on the lower receiver. Long story short: I built an LMT for less than $1200 (and it has the high end LMT trigger.) These sell for a little over $1800 in stores. I had saved over $600 and could fix it once the excrement interacts with the electric oscillating device making the AR unavailable to civilians.
Not many, if any, rifle manufacturers (of the AR variety) forge their own upper and lower receivers.
very true. I have never bought a gun based on name, it where the parts come from that counts. Toolcraft for instance makes the vast majority of OEM BCGs. You can get them for 100 bucks sometimes, where as if you buy second hand, maybee 200 or so.
I built an LMT for less than $1200
cant beat that
SOLGW, FN, Daniel Defense and BCM have some of the best barrels you can buy.
agreed

Top Bottom