Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Foraging: A second Crootn deep dive

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I think I might have come in a bit hot with my first deep dive, so I’m gonna scale things back a bit for this one and take it easier on folks.

Another thing I’ve always found interesting is foraging/herbalism and I’ve always collected a lot of books on it.

Im gonna post some pic from a book that I have that has really interesting info on pine trees and oak trees.

I’m convinced that there is some kind of conspiracy geared towards keeping information from people on the usefulness of all the greenery surrounding them.

Last edited:

Whiskey&Weed

Poster
Founder
tumblr_mh1oaws53H1rmtenjo1_500.gif

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
My favorite edible plant is wood sorrel. It’s that stuff that looks like clover but has more heart shaped leaves. I really like the taste of it - especially when the green starts to get a nice purple hue. It has a very unique sour taste and it blows my mind that it’s not more commonly used in culinary dishes.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Amaranth, sometimes called pigweed is another very interesting weed that grows everywhere. One of the primary targets of Trugreen and other Lawncare companies these days, we rarely get to see amaranth grow large enough to yield its flowers.

Amaranth grain is a very sustainable food that provides all the macronutrients. It is very similar to quinoa and was a staple in the Aztec diet.

Nutrinfo:
1613329363159.png

Seagulls

Poster

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
Roll the dice and make some polk salad.

Has to be prepared correctly because every part of the plant is poisonous to a degree. Stuff is great though.

fullsizeoutput_a0a-1-768x1024.jpeg

https://www.wildabundance.net/pokeweed/

First time I had this I was a kid and dad had picked a bunch of it growing at the local dump.

He was drunk when he told me it was poisonous while he was cooking it so it was quite the gamble.

Ghost Hawg

Poster
Founder
I think I might have come in a bit hot with my first deep dive, so I’m gonna scale things back a bit for this one and take it easier on folks.

Another thing I’ve always found interesting is foraging/herbalism and I’ve always collected a lot of books on it.

Im gonna post some pic from a book that I have that has really interesting info on pine trees and oak trees.

I’m convinced that there is some kind of conspiracy geared towards keeping information from people on the usefulness of all the greenery surrounding them.

What’s the title of the book?

Top Bottom