Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Family spring break ideas?

Belezabro

Elite
In the process of plotting out a family trip. Having trouble narrowing it down and thought, hey! I'll ask the Crootn boys for their thoughts...they're destination experts!

Family of 5 (3 teenage boys). Wife wants to go to Florida, visit Universal then drive to the gulf side and stay at a beach rental for a couple of days. I've been calculating/debating about driving or flying to FL. We've never taken a long family road trip...I know it will be hell but feels like something to cross off. We live in Iowa, there's a lot to see on the road between there and FL. Plus, if we fly that means more money and a car rental in addition to flight cost. A bonus of going to FL also means a possible spring training game (lifelong Phillies fan and they play in Clearwater during the week we'd be there).

Another option is a family friendly resort (like Jamaica, Carribean, etc.). Fly in, go to resort, plop down on the beach. This sounds great to me.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Quatch$

Elite
I second the road trip, especially while your boys are still in the house. Will make a lot of funny memories to be talked about for years to come, most likely find ones too that they can share with each other long after you’re gone. Plus you and the old lady can do some swingers resort after they all head off to college or whatever.

Also, fuck some foreign country. Spend your hard earned money in the good ole U.S. of A. And make sure to hit local joints for food and what not along the way, not shitty chain places. A road trip is full of great times and bad choices... may you have many of both.

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
Well, we booked ours for the summer, but sadly nothing for spring break. Canceled the three-times-already canceled disney cruise that was 10k. For 60% of that we booked an all inclusive with two adjoining rooms on a lesser known Caribbean island, incl airfare, for 7 nights. We read all the cv19 protocols and are fine. Since it is smaller we have several full day exclusions planned, exploring the jungles, volcano, and different beaches.

It'll be our 22nd anniversary in June, so we are also trying to rekindle the memories from when we didn't have kids and traveled all over the Caribbean, except with the kids this time.

Belezabro

Elite
Well, we booked ours for the summer, but sadly nothing for spring break. Canceled the three-times-already canceled disney cruise that was 10k. For 60% of that we booked an all inclusive with two adjoining rooms on a lesser known Caribbean island, incl airfare, for 7 nights. We read all the cv19 protocols and are fine. Since it is smaller we have several full day exclusions planned, exploring the jungles, volcano, and different beaches.

It'll be our 22nd anniversary in June, so we are also trying to rekindle the memories from when we didn't have kids and traveled all over the Caribbean, except with the kids this time.
Where are you going?

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
I'm in the same boat, want to do something in March but daughter cannot get a passport since the post office has suspended applications now and do not want to pop positive COVID and get stuck for two weeks so would rather go somewhere I can drive home.

Thought about Key West but during spring break might be to many people for my liking. Not really into the camping thing. Will be watching this thread.

Thought about a lake house and boat rental for a week somewhere

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
I'm in the same boat, want to do something in March but daughter cannot get a passport since the post office has suspended applications now and do not want to pop positive COVID and get stuck for two weeks so would rather go somewhere I can drive home.

Thought about Key West but during spring break might be to many people for my liking. Not really into the camping thing. Will be watching this thread.
We started getting passports for our kids on 3/20/20. They arrived August 10th. I would think by now they would be operating fairly normally. But a month is not possible even without cv19. Go to st Amelia Island though airbnb.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
We started getting passports for our kids on 3/20/20. They arrived August 10th. I would think by now they would be operating fairly normally. But a month is not possible even without cv19. Go to st Amelia Island though airbnb.

She's over 18 now but her expired one was from before she turned 18 so she has to apply like it's a new passport not a renewal. They are not doing any passport verifications unless it is life ordeath emergency we were told. Only way to get one is drive to New Orleans and get one.

Belezabro

Elite

See...I've already been helped by the board. My kids don't have passports so that eliminates out of country trip. Didn't even think of that.

Anyone with thoughts on where to stay FL Gulf side? I'd like to be somewhat close to Clearwater but that is not a must. If we drive I want to drive back to Iowa through FL panhandle, AL, MS, LA then up through Memphis.

Quatch$

Elite
See...I've already been helped by the board. My kids don't have passports so that eliminates out of country trip. Didn't even think of that.

Anyone with thoughts on where to stay FL Gulf side? I'd like to be somewhat close to Clearwater but that is not a must. If we drive I want to drive back to Iowa through FL panhandle, AL, MS, LA then up through Memphis.
I will assume you will all self quarantine for 14 days upon return home as well pending a negative Covid test 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

PinkelsVisor

Elite
Founder
We want to go back to Disney before our kids get too old but refuse to spend that kind of money and be forced to wear masks the whole time. We cancelled our scheduled trip last year due to covid.

Hoping by March of next year Disney isn’t forcing folks to still wear masks. Crazy it’s gone on this long.

We are doing a week long beach trip this summer in addition to about 3 or 4 weekend lake trips. Can drive to the beach in a day and the panhandle I’ve heard is more normal than anything. Tired of seeing the dumb masks and all the social distance bs demands.

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
I'd be content with sitting at home with enough booze to watch a weeks worth of the penalty part of martial law. Cheers!

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
In the process of plotting out a family trip. Having trouble narrowing it down and thought, hey! I'll ask the Crootn boys for their thoughts...they're destination experts!

Family of 5 (3 teenage boys). Wife wants to go to Florida, visit Universal then drive to the gulf side and stay at a beach rental for a couple of days. I've been calculating/debating about driving or flying to FL. We've never taken a long family road trip...I know it will be hell but feels like something to cross off. We live in Iowa, there's a lot to see on the road between there and FL. Plus, if we fly that means more money and a car rental in addition to flight cost. A bonus of going to FL also means a possible spring training game (lifelong Phillies fan and they play in Clearwater during the week we'd be there).

Another option is a family friendly resort (like Jamaica, Carribean, etc.). Fly in, go to resort, plop down on the beach. This sounds great to me.

Sounds like a fun trip. I would do it.

If you go to Universal, stay at one of the resort hotels. Cabana Bay is the least expensive but it is a fine place to stay and a short bus ride from gates and CityWalk. Also, don’t buy the Universal Fast Pass before you go in- you can always add it if you get in the park and the lines are awful.

I would go to Sanibel Island to stay, but that’s at Fort Myers (3 hours from Universal) and you might not want to drive south and away from Iowa. I don’t have much experience with other Gulf beaches (other than panhandle) so can’t comment further.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder

San Destin is probably my favorite water, Orange beach has the best Beach. CHeck out www.brett-robinson.com for some condos in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. I highly recommend one of the Phoenix's always top notch.

Long cat

Elite

If you go to Clearwater, stop at Delco’s in Dunedin for the best cheesesteak ever. It’s loaded with Phillies stuff and I think it’s run by a guy who retired to Florida from Philly. Cash or check only though.

Oh and get the fast pass at universal if you can swing it. Not sure where you are staying but I think it comes with the pricey hotels. Lines have been really long lately because they are trying to keep space between groups on all the rides.

Last edited:

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Sounds like a fun trip. I would do it.

If you go to Universal, stay at one of the resort hotels. Cabana Bay is the least expensive but it is a fine place to stay and a short bus ride from gates and CityWalk. Also, don’t buy the Universal Fast Pass before you go in- you can always add it if you get in the park and the lines are awful.

I would go to Sanibel Island to stay, but that’s at Fort Myers (3 hours from Universal) and you might not want to drive south and away from Iowa. I don’t have much experience with other Gulf beaches (other than panhandle) so can’t comment further.
They have 2 cheaper ones now but if you stay get a room at one of the 3 top resorts. It includes Fast Pass in the price, a $75 per person benefit. That pass is awesome, you can get through both parks in half a day.

Belezabro

Elite
Any recs on places to stay in Clearwater area? On maps, the area from Redington Shores down to Treasure Island looks nice.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Any recs on places to stay in Clearwater area? On maps, the area from Redington Shores down to Treasure Island looks nice.
Used to live on Indian Rocks Beach, not too crowded of a beach and has some nice places to eat. Guppy's is one of my favorite restaurants. Used to eat there all the time.

Long cat

Elite
They have 2 cheaper ones now but if you stay get a room at one of the 3 top resorts. It includes Fast Pass in the price, a $75 per person benefit. That pass is awesome, you can get through both parks in half a day.
I stayed at one of the cheap ones (Endless Summer) for a couple nights around Christmas. They are brand new and our room had never been slept in. It had like a normal two queen hotel room , plus a kitchenette, a kitchen table area and a second enclosed bedroom with another bed. We paid like $90 a night. I have annual passes so I already have fast passes so that didn’t really matter. It was a short bus ride and they keep the busses going constantly so we never had to really wait for a bus. The closer hotels are nicer and you get the fast passes but they are like 3-4 times as expensive.

I think there are a lot of good options, just depends on what you are looking for.

RonwellQuincyDobbs

MAGA Pinja Anon
Founder
The long road trip with the family is a treasured memory. Whether it goes smooth or horribly bad, it will always be talked about fondly. Have a great trip!

Yep! That is what I love most about where we live. 3-3.5 hours to the coast of SC and 2-3.5 hours to anywhere I want to go in the NC and TN mountains. Obviously, we'd be stupid to fly with such short trips but I've been making these trips for 38+ years with family. So many incredible memories with everyone in my family...Late grandparents, my parents, sisters and now doing with with my wife and 2 children(6 and 2)! Of course things go awry from time to time but there is so much more good that comes from them!

RonwellQuincyDobbs

MAGA Pinja Anon
Founder

We're looking into the luxury cabins in the Smokey mountains. Lots of them with indoor pools, theaters, pool tables, Foosball, air hockey, arcade games, etc etc.

Belezabro

Elite
I stayed at one of the cheap ones (Endless Summer) for a couple nights around Christmas. They are brand new and our room had never been slept in. It had like a normal two queen hotel room , plus a kitchenette, a kitchen table area and a second enclosed bedroom with another bed. We paid like $90 a night. I have annual passes so I already have fast passes so that didn’t really matter. It was a short bus ride and they keep the busses going constantly so we never had to really wait for a bus. The closer hotels are nicer and you get the fast passes but they are like 3-4 times as expensive.

I think there are a lot of good options, just depends on what you are looking for.
Wife just booked 3 nights at Endless Summer. She bought some package deal that includes a bunch of stuff. Thank you for the info!

Now the hard part of planning the second part of the trip. I want to go to the Phillies game but not sure staying in Clearwater is the right call. We plan to drive home through the panhandle, and possibly stop in New Orleans. I know it's a dump but it is a unique city and the family wants to see it. Finish off by driving up through MS maybe stop in Memphis and see the King!

Any posters with input on "must sees" along this route or places to eat would be appreciated.

Belezabro

Elite
Made it to Florida. Only a couple of skirmishes between my boys on the way down.

couple of Notes: the whole family was impressed with Nashville. Stayed downtown and walked around Broadway. So many bands playing. The open front window in bars thing was very cool.

Basically non stop traffic from north of Atlanta to Orlando. There were no breaks. At a couple of points around/through ATL we would come to a complete stop. I am reminded again why I don’t live in a large city.

people in the south and those driving to Florida drive crazy. Hanging in the left lane, passing in the right, driving too fast, too slow. Tailgating. I like to drive but it felt like I could never just sit back and relax.

BoiseGator

Poster
Founder
We take a family trip every year. The number 1 rated trip to date is when we took the entire family for 10 days to Washington DC and rented a VRBO Row House next to the Lincoln Memorial. I planned out every single day...We never stopped walking or riding bikes. The metro was awesome, the museums, scheduled a tour with Senators office and got tickets to the military band at old Marine barracks...

I could go on and on and would be more than glad to outline it for you because it was a trip I’ll never forget and watching my teenage/middle school children appreciate our country was very special to me.

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
We take a family trip every year. The number 1 rated trip to date is when we took the entire family for 10 days to Washington DC and rented a VRBO Row House next to the Lincoln Memorial. I planned out every single day...We never stopped walking or riding bikes. The metro was awesome, the museums, scheduled a tour with Senators office and got tickets to the military band at old Marine barracks...

I could go on and on and would be more than glad to outline it for you because it was a trip I’ll never forget and watching my teenage/middle school children appreciate our country was very special to me.
How long ago was that? I wonder if the metro is ride-able now.

Top Bottom