Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Dance Your Cares Away/Fraggle/Law Abiding Citizens

Master Threads

Pineapple

Legendary

TheRealJohnCooper

💎
Founder

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Believe I read it was hovering higher than commercial airlines fly.
You are right. It was above the normal altitude of commercial aircraft. So the balloon was higher than 40,000 feet.

Shooting it down was decided against because of the danger of debris to those below.

I thought that an alternate tactic could have worked. How about just one bullet from a jet. At that altitude, a jet would have to be going real fast due to the thin air. The balloon is moving slow. Once the pilot of the jet sees it, it is passed. Can a fighter jet even shoot just one bullet? You would just want to poke a small hole in it so that it will slowly lose altitude. Once on the ground you can analyze.

TheRealJohnCooper

💎
Founder
You are right. It was above the normal altitude of commercial aircraft. So the balloon was higher than 40,000 feet.

Shooting it down was decided against because of the danger of debris to those below.

I thought that an alternate tactic could have worked. How about just one bullet from a jet. At that altitude, a jet would have to be going real fast due to the thin air. The balloon is moving slow. Once the pilot of the jet sees it, it is passed. Can a fighter jet even shoot just one bullet? You would just want to poke a small hole in it so that it will slowly lose altitude. Once on the ground you can analyze.
It’s fucking 2023. We should have a helluva lot more ways to get the damn thing than to shoot it down. I have no faith in this fucking administration to do anything that makes sense.

BamaRidger

Legendary
Founder

Better question why didn't they shoot the fucker down when it was over the ocean. Probably because China owns the Dems and a lot of Pubs.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
It’s fucking 2023. We should have a helluva lot more ways to get the damn thing than to shoot it down. I have no faith in this fucking administration to do anything that makes sense.
What would you use to slowly take it down?

This is the same issue with the slow moving attack drones used to attack Ukraine.

Same issue with society.

The removal of past learning and technology because current tech makes those older things obsolete. But wait, that dependence can be exploited with older slower tech or no tech. Imagine that.

Our technology reliance has removed our ability to survive without it. Basic survival skills are lost. Our most basic survival skill was how to make fire. How many of us can still make fire?

TheRealJohnCooper

💎
Founder
What would you use to slowly take it down?

This is the same issue with the slow moving attack drones used to attack Ukraine.

Same issue with society.

The removal of past learning and technology because current tech makes those older things obsolete. But wait, that dependence can be exploited with older slower tech or no tech. Imagine that.

Our technology reliance has removed our ability to survive without it. Basic survival skills are lost. Our most basic survival skill was how to make fire. How many of us can still make fire?
I’m not an expert in that, but FFS, again — it’s 2023 — we don’t have the tech to get it? You tell me what you would do?

orng_blud

Legendary
Founder
329156385_550620050371603_7719414409650333264_n.jpg

ETNVol

Legendary
Founder
Their reasoning for not taking out the balloon is nonsense. It's over Montana. Unless it's over a city, the odds of it hitting someone on the ground would be something like 10,000 to 1, if that. Certainly not odds that a gov't who treats its citizens like test lab animals would be concerned about.

Belezabro

Elite
So, I've discovered my 17 yr old has become a dealer.

He came home yesterday & showed me some silver coins he'd purchased at the shop in a nearby town. Was a good buy but I knew he couldn't afford them as he's not working anymore since starting some college courses half a day. Asked him where he got the $$$.

Apparently his mornings the last month have consisted of going to McD's early & buying a few dozen biscuits & breakfast burritos. He then sets up on his tailgate in the parking lot at school before the bell rings & doles em out at double spot. He showed me his "preorder" list on a group text he's set up. Kids closing in on a cnote in profit per day & he's thinking about adding another runner to handle the Hardee's crowd on a percentage.

He may get in trouble with the school before it's over with, but not with me.
Reminds me of this guy
6b266255-de13-449e-917a-c1571f99dca2_text.gif

Belezabro

Elite
My Spanish is conversational and more than enough to get by. I took two years in high school and 2 years at The University of Texas.

Though one of the reasons I chose to live here is that very few people speak any English.

That forces me to improve my Spanish.

I love the immersion.

In addition, I take a Spanish class on-line for an hour a day 5 days a week to improve my conversation, cement all the tenses they use, and expand my vocabulary.

Had you stayed another six months it would have likely had a different outcome - typically when immersed in a language within about 6-12 months a "light goes off".

If you want to return to Brazil I would visit this website.

Preply.com

You can choose any language in the world and select a teacher and price point to take classes on-line - it's just you and the teacher on basically a "Zoom Call" -

I love it! I schedule at my convenience and pay $7 USD per hour lesson. The system projects that in 13-14 months I will be fully fluent.

Will pay big dividends for business and more so for dating - it is a huge advantage over your competition for girls here.

I'll come back to see my dad and friends - otherwise why would I leave paradise.

Here there is actual life in people - they enjoy each other - do you know how nice it is to eat out at a restaurant and not one person is on their fucking "Smart"phone? There is actual human interaction here joy, happiness, community, a love of life and positivity - something that's long gone in America.

If I struggle a year +/- to become fluent it is well worth the "pain" and/or frustration which is only temporary.

YMMV
As much as I would love to, I won't be visiting Brazil anytime soon. That was 23 years ago and now I'm old and married with kids. Back then, that was a 3 month party. It was incredible.

I love the stereotypical Brazilian...crazy, loyal, passionate, fearless, adventurous, full of life...and the women! Wow. For some reason, I have met and be-friended many Brazilians here in the US. I was surrounded by friends down there the whole time. Incredible experience that I'm eternally grateful for.

dirtytoeddawg

Legendary
I have no clue why we would let a foreign surveillance system enter and stay in our airspace. I get satellites, but something like this has to go.
Look at the phone in yours & everyone’s hands, every app, every pc, every byte of software. Every digital acceptance of cookies & user agreements.

We’re surveilled 24/7 by corporations & governments around the world. Our Data traded on markets & consumed by fledgling AI

Top Bottom