Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread Dance Your Cares Away/Fraggle/Law Abiding Citizens

Master Threads

Pineapple

Legendary

That is a lie. You could own dynamite, nitroglycerin, and a Puckle Gun or Duck Foot Pistol or a Nock Gun! They were trying to create multi-round weapons then! The difference? Personal accountability!

The idiocy of these statements is the fact that gun control came about to keep freed slaves from protecting themselves from Democrats/The Klan!!!!!

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
Bear with me, this could be long since I'm citing what a lawyer said.

Sanford Levinson, a UTexas gun-grabbing anti-gun law professor, wrote an article entitled The Embarrassing Second Amendment. It's well worth the read (see link). In it, Levinson talks about US v Miller, a case decided in 1939. The interesting part is on pages 18 and 19 of the linked article. It says:

Returning, though, to the question of Congress' power to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms, one notes that there is, basically, only one modern case that discusses the issue, United States v. Miller, decided in1939. Jack Miller was charged with moving a sawed-off shotgun in inter-state commerce in violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934. Among other things, Miller and a compatriot had not registered the firearm, as required by the Act. The court below had dismissed the charge, accepting Miller's argument that the Act violated the Second Amendment.

The Supreme Court reversed unanimously, with the arch-conservative Justice McReynolds writing the opinion. Interestingly enough, he emphasized that there was no evidence showing that a sawed-off shotgun "at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia." And, "[c]ertainly is is not within judicial notice that the weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense." Miller might have had a tenable argument had he been able to show that he was keeping or bearing a weapon that clearly had a military use.

Justice McReynolds went on to describe the purpose of the Second Amendment as "assur[ing] the continuation and render[ing] possible the effectiveness of [the Militia]. He contrasted the Militia with troops of a standing army, which the Constitution indeed forbade the states to keep without the explicit consent of Congress. "The sentiment of the time strongly disfavored standing armies; the common view was that adequate defense of country and laws could be secured through the Militia-civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion."

McReynolds noted further that "the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators [all] how plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense."

It is difficult to read Miller as rendering the Second Amendment meaningless as a control on Congress. Ironically, Miller can be read to support some of the most extreme anti-gun control arguments, e.g., that the individual citizen has the right to keep and bear bazookas, rocket launchers, and other armaments that are clearly relevant to modern warfare, including, of course, assault weapons. Arguments about the constitutional legitimacy of a prohibition by Congress of private ownership of handguns or, what is much more likely, assault rifles, might turn on the usefullness of such guns in military settings.

https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7254&context=ylj

The interesting part of this article and the ruling by Justice McReynolds is that US v Miller was decided against Miller because a "sawed-off shotgun" was not a part of military use. What? In WWI, (before this case was decided) US soldiers used the Model 97 Winchester shotgun in trench warfare. It was so effective the Germans actually filed a war crimes complaint against the United States use of it. Ironic, since the Germans were using gas on our troops.

We also saw where shotguns were used in Vietnam in the jungles. Perhaps they have been used in other wars since.
I used to work with a guy who was Special Forces in Vietnam. A shotgun is all he carried.

Cincinattus91

Elite
Founder
Who is Satoshi? (in John Galt voice)
Hopefully Bitcoin is this.....Hayek said presciently: “I don’t believe we shall ever have a good money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can’t take them violently out of the hands of government, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something they can’t stop.”

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Holy hell.

And this happened in October and is just now being reported?

Ole Miss student allegedly sprayed bleach into frat pledge’s mouth during hazing

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Holy hell.

Ole Miss student allegedly sprayed bleach into frat pledge’s mouth during hazing

That actually sounds better than the sticks of butter covered in a can of Copenhagen.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
Holy hell.

Yea, pretty bad. Gotta think the Pike house is getting indefinitely banned from campus here. I have nothing against fraternities (wasn't in one), but kids have lost their marbles on these hazing situations and this kind of behavior needs to be punished with prejudice to send a message.

That said, the only logical next step up in egregiousness for the Pike fraternity is butt-chugging bleach.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Holy hell.

They were all over our asses because we dared to make pledges wear sweat soaked sweatshirts we kept in plastic bags from Hell Week to Hell Week and handed down. After a year in plastic unwashed they were quite ripe. After several years unwashed and stored in the trunk of a car the plastic bags were bloated from gas discharge. We made the pledges open them outside.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Have they called it a Wuhan Charlie death yet?
Nope and they won't.

When he was last hospitalized (I think he was sent home just a couple of weeks ago, it was that recently) a statement was put out to specifically state he did not have the chirus.

I'm not a big royal family fan, but Phillip would be a fascinating person to sit down with and listen to him talk about his life. He was pretty open that he would have much preferred to have made a life of military service. He wasn't thrilled with being the husband of The Queen. He wanted Elizabeth to just be his wife and he just her husband.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Yea, pretty bad. Gotta think the Pike house is getting indefinitely banned from campus here. I have nothing against fraternities (wasn't in one), but kids have lost their marbles on these hazing situations and this kind of behavior needs to be punished with prejudice to send a message.

That said, the only logical next step up in egregiousness for the Pike fraternity is butt-chugging bleach.
But they didn't.

The victim, who is still enrolled at Ole Miss and is still a member of the frat, has been getting "progressively worse," his attorney said.

The Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity does not tolerate any activities that do not treat individuals with dignity and respect," spokesperson Aranda Gehringer said.

The chapter has been sanctioned, including restrictions on social activities, the school and frat said.

I wonder if they will now that it's public.

Incidentally, my daughter has decided on Ole Miss. She loves the campus and the town. I'm pretty excited for her. 😁

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
They were all over our asses because we dared to make pledges wear sweat soaked sweatshirts we kept in plastic bags from Hell Week to Hell Week and handed down. After a year in plastic unwashed they were quite ripe. After several years unwashed and stored in the trunk of a car the plastic bags were bloated from gas discharge. We made the pledges open them outside.
🤣🤢🤣

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder

This is interesting. Is this there way of saying, "Well we're trying to help" while they know small businesses are closing everyday, or are they actually trying to help those small businesses stay open?

JordanPetersHorn

I’m a Fucking Captain Dammit
Founder
That’s not true. In FL where I live it’s not hard to get a gun. It’s just a lack of gun because we buy them as soon as they arrive.
I want one of those air guns they have in the Metro Exodus game that you can load ball
Bearings and rocks into so youd in theory never be able to be squeezed by the commie Biden admin

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder

Encarnacion

Luchador Campeon
Founder
The man was 99 and had been in 'poor' health for at least the past 5 years (if one can say a mid to late 90s year old man's health is actually poor for any reason other than age).

He was just hospitalized for weeks for heart issues.
"Yeah but I mean at the very end, when he actually died, that was very sudden." - I. M. Fletcher

Top Bottom