Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best golf holes you’ve ever played

Nape

Elite
Founder
I’ve been beyond blessed to have been able to play some incredible courses over the years. Some pals and I were having beers tonight and we got to talking about the best holes we’ve played. Here are my top 5.

1. 14th at Muirfield Village. In my humble opinion it’s the greatest short par 4 in the world. Jack outdid himself with this gem.
1613022165731.jpeg
2. 5th at Lahinch GC in Ireland. A short par 3 that has the green sitting between 2 massive sand dunes. You can’t see the green from the tee. Hit and hope.

1613022330791.jpeg

3. The 8th at Prairie Dunes. The fairway goes up and over 2-3 rolling sand dunes and then uphill to a well guarded green. Amazing design and 100% natural
Screen_Shot_2019-12-04_at_12.25.39_PM_2048x.png

4. #16 at Medinah #3. Sergio made this beast of a dogleg left par 4 famous with his running leap in the 1999 PGA while stalking Tiger. Bogey is generally a par.
Medinah-(No.-3)-16th-fairway.jpg

5. Gotta have a par 5. The 10th at NCR South Course is unforgettable. The way the hole flows through the kettle moraine terrain is seamless.

44019.jpg

Last edited:

denn

Legendary
Founder
I have been lucky over the years playing great golf courses. Formerly competing and now as a director. There are so many golf courses just in this country that have great individual golf holes. For me personally, (if you take out the entire Augusta National 18) the best holes that most know about, the tour will be playing this week. Pebble Beach holes 7-10 are about as good as it gets anywhere. I know it is an obvious answer, for both mentions above, but they are truly that great IMO.

Nape

Elite
Founder
I have been lucky over the years playing great golf courses. Formerly competing and now as a director. There are so many golf courses just in this country that have great individual golf holes. For me personally, (if you take out the entire Augusta National 18) the best holes that most know about, the tour will be playing this week. Pebble Beach holes 7-10 are about as good as it gets anywhere. I know it is an obvious answer, for both mentions above, but they are truly that great IMO.
For beauty it’s hard to argue. I haven’t played Pebble but I would imagine that stretch is a difficult as it is beautiful.

It’s so hard to narrow things down to just 5 holes and after posting a whole bunch of great holes popped into my head. #8 Gold at Rich Harvest Links, #11 at Ballybunion, #13 at the National are all incredible holes and as natural as the driven snow.

DawgB

Poster
Lucky to play best tracks on the planet, hard to pick 5, but here's a shot:

• 16th Cypress Point
  • 13th Augusta
  • 8th Pebble Beach
  • Par 5 - Peachtree Golf Club (forgot the hole #)
  • #3 Spyglass
  • EDIT: #18 Garden City GC
  • Hm:. #7 & #16 Palmetto Golf Club - I could talk about this course for hours

Last edited:

denn

Legendary
Founder
For beauty it’s hard to argue. I haven’t played Pebble but I would imagine that stretch is a difficult as it is beautiful.

It’s so hard to narrow things down to just 5 holes and after posting a whole bunch of great holes popped into my head. #8 Gold at Rich Harvest Links, #11 at Ballybunion, #13 at the National are all incredible holes and as natural as the driven snow.
If you get through 7-10 around par, you are killing it. Especially if the wind is blowing. I played in a junior even there, many years ago, and played that stretch at even par. Felt like I won the lottery. The beauty of the Monterey peninsula is incredible.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Off the top of my head:

17 at the Old Course.
11 at Pine Valley
14 at Muirfield Village
7, 8 and 18 at Pebble
14 at Shoal Creek
10 at Riviera
Pine Valley is the shit. Not much else needs to be said about that course.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Off the top of my head:

17 at the Old Course.
11 at Pine Valley
14 at Muirfield Village
7, 8 and 18 at Pebble
14 at Shoal Creek
10 at Riviera
#10 at Riviera is as great of a short 4 as 14 at the Village. Never played Riviera but hope to some day.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Lucky to play best tracks on the planet, hard to pick 5, but here's a shot:

• 16th Cypress Point
  • 13th Augusta
  • 8th Pebble Beach
  • Par 5 - Peachtree Golf Club (forgot the hole #)
  • #3 Spyglass
  • Hm:. #7 & #16 Palmetto Golf Club - I could talk about this course for hours
Palmetto is definitely a top course for me. Probably top 20. The terrain and the way the course is routed through that terrain is masterful.

Mr. Goodtiger

Poster
I haven’t played as many of the big name courses as most ITT but I have some personal favorites.

Bay Hill #6
Bite off as much as you can
md_bay_hill_6th_hole_032015_0.jpg

I bit off too much 🙁

Sweetens Cove #5
Beware the Devil’s asshole

5-fairway_1_reduced-1080x675_1024x1024.jpg

Hermitage Presidents Reserve #9
Favorite hole on my current course1613067266596.jpeg

Pine Tree CC #3
Course I grew up playing
1613068007570.jpeg

Nape

Elite
Founder
#11 at Shoreacres looks as if it were designed by a higher power. You tee off on the edge of a ravine. The fairway runs left to right along the top of the other side of the ravine. It then crosses another ravine to the green. Just an incredible hole on a course full of them.

shoreacres-golfcourse2-jc.jpg

7.1_1440-min.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been beyond blessed to have been able to play some incredible courses over the years. Some pals and I were having beers tonight and we got to talking about the best holes we’ve played. Here are my top 5.

1. 14th at Muirfield Village. In my humble opinion it’s the greatest short par 4 in the world. Jack outdid himself with this gem.
View attachment 6369
2. 5th at Lahinch GC in Ireland. A short par 3 that has the green sitting between 2 massive sand dunes. You can’t see the green from the tee. Hit and hope.

View attachment 6370

3. The 8th at Prairie Dunes. The fairway goes up and over 2-3 rolling sand dunes and then uphill to a well guarded green. Amazing design and 100% natural

4. #16 at Medinah #3. Sergio made this beast of a dogleg left par 4 famous with his running leap in the 1999 PGA while stalking Tiger. Bogey is generally a par.

5. Gotta have a par 5. The 10th at NCR South Course is unforgettable. The way the hole flows through the kettle moraine terrain is seamless.

44019.jpg

didnt you also see a 'nader when you played at PD? good bless kansas.

Lana

Poster
I haven’t made it down to Old Head yet but that track along with Waterville are on the docket for the next trip.
Waterville is awesome too, do you know what other courses you are considering on that trip?

Lana

Poster
I haven’t played as many of the big name courses as most ITT but I have some personal favorites.

Bay Hill #6
Bite off as much as you can
md_bay_hill_6th_hole_032015_0.jpg

I bit off too much 🙁

Sweetens Cove #5
Beware the Devil’s asshole

5-fairway_1_reduced-1080x675_1024x1024.jpg

Hermitage Presidents Reserve #9
Favorite hole on my current courseView attachment 6393

Pine Tree CC #3
Course I grew up playing
View attachment 6395
All too familiar with your Sweetens pic, I wound up in the asshole twice on the same day. I did make an ace on the par 3 ninth so that helped to soften the blow.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Nairn (Inverness) also was fantastic. These two holes were back to back. (These aren’t my pics- I was there in 1999 before cell phone cameras)

DF31AE48-E3EB-4656-8256-E0988FD151FE.jpegE324A183-51CD-4F3B-901A-73224F1EB5E7.jpeg

tgsio

Legendary
Founder

View attachment 6369

View attachment 6370

44019.jpg
I knew you would have NCR on your list.

My daughter worked there over the summer.

I'll have to ask my husband his favorite holes. Pretty sure Moraine will be on that list. He's played some incredible courses from Ireland and Scotland to Oregon and Wisconsin. He is doing an April trip to Kiawah with my dad. I think he's going to surprise my dad by taking Max... who is a great golfer thanks to Covid. He played every morning before school until it got too cold. He actually went over to Community driving range to hit balls a few days ago... when it was a toasty 29°. 🤣

Icculus

Poster
Palmetto is definitely a top course for me. Probably top 20. The terrain and the way the course is routed through that terrain is masterful.
Palmetto is awesome. First time I played I was hungover as hell and it was 100 degrees that day. The greens and heat about killed me.

Icculus

Poster
1613130974140.jpeg
- #6 Augusta CC can’t find a picture of #8 but it’s a favorite also with the green over Ray’s Creek
- #16 (Redbud) at the National
- Par 4 over the water at Indian Creek. Can’t remember the number, maybe #5?
- #3 Sage Valley - it’s in the background of this picture of #2. Couldn’t find one of #3
1613131498005.jpeg

Top Bottom