Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best golf holes you’ve ever played

Nape

Elite
Founder
I knew you would have NCR on your list.

My daughter worked there over the summer.

I'll have to ask my husband his favorite holes. Pretty sure Moraine will be on that list. He's played some incredible courses from Ireland and Scotland to Oregon and Wisconsin. He is doing an April trip to Kiawah with my dad. I think he's going to surprise my dad by taking Max... who is a great golfer thanks to Covid. He played every morning before school until it got too cold. He actually went over to Community driving range to hit balls a few days ago... when it was a toasty 29°. 🤣
Soooo many great holes at NCR. The 3rd, where the tee box backs up to Moraine, is a great view both ways....looking down the hill and up on 3 and then the awesome panorama of Moraine. It still plays with my mind seeing no trees out there. I got one of my favorite pictures of the boys on that tee box.

Nape

Elite
Founder
View attachment 6600
- #6 Augusta CC can’t find a picture of #8 but it’s a favorite also with the green over Ray’s Creek
- #16 (Redbud) at the National
- Par 4 over the water at Indian Creek. Can’t remember the number, maybe #5?
- #3 Sage Valley - it’s in the background of this picture of #2. Couldn’t find one of #3
View attachment 6609
ACC isn’t a bad track. I read that the National bought more ground behind 12/13. Do you know if they had to reroute that ACC hole there? Iirc it’s 9?

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Not really. Will probably stay at Doonbeg again and hit Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, and Old Head.
Hit up Tralee as well and if you want a local flavor play Dooks.

You putting it together yourself or a tour company helping. Asking because I have a golf tour company

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

You putting it together yourself or a tour company helping. Asking because I have a golf tour company

Really? I thought you were retired military and now working in the Pentagon as a contractor.

Nape

Elite
Founder

Tralee is definitely on the radar.

We haven’t set anything up. Just waiting for all of the Rona BS to subside.

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Really? I thought you were retired military and now working in the Pentagon as a contractor.
Yes, but not at pentagon, or a contractor. Dad has had a tour company for 20+ years and I have been involved for about 8. Posted in the short lived commerce category on this board. https://www.gatortours.golf/

COVID is crushing tourism, when it opens back up it will be very difficult to get tee times. We have many groups basically on standby waiting for the all clear. We had a great package to Normandy that looks like it will be cancelled due to the ceremony being cancelled again this year.

D-6

Poster
I haven’t played as many of the big name courses as most ITT but I have some personal favorites.

Bay Hill #6
Bite off as much as you can
md_bay_hill_6th_hole_032015_0.jpg

I bit off too much 🙁

Sweetens Cove #5
Beware the Devil’s asshole

5-fairway_1_reduced-1080x675_1024x1024.jpg

Hermitage Presidents Reserve #9
Favorite hole on my current courseView attachment 6393

Pine Tree CC #3
Course I grew up playing
View attachment 6395

Played Pine Tree probably 100 times over the years including either the Alabama Open or Alabama Amateur (cant remember which one) a long time ago. Always dreaded #3. Felt if I could get through 2 and 3 without a big number, I was good from there.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Yes, but not at pentagon, or a contractor. Dad has had a tour company for 20+ years and I have been involved for about 8. Posted in the short lived commerce category on this board. https://www.gatortours.golf/

COVID is crushing tourism, when it opens back up it will be very difficult to get tee times. We have many groups basically on standby waiting for the all clear. We had a great package to Normandy that looks like it will be cancelled due to the ceremony being cancelled again this year.
I briefly looked at your link. I will check more out later when I get more time but very impressive list of credentials for the owner. : )

Covid certainly has caused a lot of problems for people like your dad and companies like it. With almost no travel going on in most of 2020, golf packages went bye bye. With that, people started playing more at their area courses. The course I am a director at, our rounds were up 40% from 2019. There are some factors to consider with that increase, (1) Limited to no travel outside of the US to golf (2) More people with free time to play more due to work restrictions. (3) In CT we were the only state to not shut down golf courses in the northeastern part of the country. (many of us that are at privately owned courses lawyered up and went directly to the governors office to make sure we were not shut down. To his and his peoples credit, they made the right call to keep us open) We had people coming from NY, NJ, RI, MA, ME, and PA until those moron states realized how much revenue they were losing to us. LOL. (4) More people who never played the game before are taking it up now. Not much else you can do and our bar/patio was still serving.

Mr. Goodtiger

Poster
Played Pine Tree probably 100 times over the years including either the Alabama Open or Alabama Amateur (cant remember which one) a long time ago. Always dreaded #3. Felt if I could get through 2 and 3 without a big number, I was good from there.
That tree on 3 is the biggest asshole for a natural fade (read: slice) like me. Either it psyches me out and I go too far right into the water, or I cut it too close and get into it. But you’re absolutely right, if you can get a good drive and get out with a good number on 3 it’s a huge confidence boost for your whole round.

DawgB

Poster
ACC isn’t a bad track. I read that the National bought more ground behind 12/13. Do you know if they had to reroute that ACC hole there? Iirc it’s 9?
Yep, bought more land, and ACC re-designed # 8 and 9 . 8 is essentially the same hole, still par 5, but looks dramatically different with no trees, really wide open. 9 is completely different, really like the new hole though, did a good job.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Yep, bought more land, and ACC re-designed # 8 and 9 . 8 is essentially the same hole, still par 5, but looks dramatically different with no trees, really wide open. 9 is completely different, really like the new hole though, did a good job.
Every time I played ACC I played with Frank Chirkinian. He was a member at the club I was a pro at and he loved playing with us. He was my in for my two rounds at the National. RIP Frank.

DawgB

Poster
Every time I played ACC I played with Frank Chirkinian. He was a member at the club I was a pro at and he loved playing with us. He was my in for my two rounds at the National. RIP Frank.
That's awesome, great story. I live right around the corner from his old Augusta house.

Icculus

Poster
ACC isn’t a bad track. I read that the National bought more ground behind 12/13. Do you know if they had to reroute that ACC hole there? Iirc it’s Yeah ANGC bought some property for ACC and #9 at ACC turned from a short par 4 to a dog leg par 4. They also changed all the fairways to zoisa during the renovation. If you’re ever down that way let me know, would love to take you out for a round.
Yeah ANGC bought some property from ACC and #9 at ACC turned from a short par 4 to a dog leg par 4. They also changed all the fairways to zoysia during the renovation. I’ve played everywhere and it’s better than most, IMO. If you’re ever down this way let me know, would love to repay the favor for the sauce and take you out for a round.

Icculus

Poster

I see I was too late. I liked the old #8 with the trees but the retaining wall on the creek and green area are lots better than before. #9 sucked before and I like the new #9 more as hole, but I like the seclusion of the old hole, now it’s wide open and not sure I like that.

JustinYormaum

Poster
18 AAC

17 Rivermont

rivermontgolfclub.jpg

18 Kiawah
ocean-course-18th.jpg

11 RTJ Legislator (hole in one hole)
6856_main-image.jpg
18 at Kiawah is probably the 5th best hole there IMO

Palmetto is definitely a top course for me. Probably top 20. The terrain and the way the course is routed through that terrain is masterful.
Palmetto has incredible topography. Pictures don’t do it justice. Severe elevation change in spots. Right there with Yeamans as the best in SC.

Erasmuss

Poster
Founder
All the holes at New South Wales LA Perouse outside Sydney. But especially #6. Beautiful place. If I can ever figure how to get a pic on here you'll see.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Yeah ANGC bought some property from ACC and #9 at ACC turned from a short par 4 to a dog leg par 4. They also changed all the fairways to zoysia during the renovation. I’ve played everywhere and it’s better than most, IMO. If you’re ever down this way let me know, would love to repay the favor for the sauce and take you out for a round.
Love zoysia fairways.

I remember it for the characters we played with more than the course. Good terrain, great card room, and plenty of stories about the snooty neighbor.

A buddy of mine was Director of Sales for the BMW in Greenville. He wants me to come down and play in all of their pro-am rounds. I think I may. Not a bad drive down to Augusta from there. Would love another look at Palmetto,

Icculus

Poster
Love zoysia fairways.

I remember it for the characters we played with more than the course. Good terrain, great card room, and plenty of stories about the snooty neighbor.

A buddy of mine was Director of Sales for the BMW in Greenville. He wants me to come down and play in all of their pro-am rounds. I think I may. Not a bad drive down to Augusta from there. Would love another look at Palmetto,
Yep, our pro said the only mistake was not doing zoysia sooner.

You won’t recognize the interior of the clubhouse. It’s been completely renovated Within the past 5ish years. Locker rooms, etc are now top notch.

CurtOFD78

Elite
I'm trying like hell to find a picture of this hole I played almost 23 years ago in Montreal in the Mont Tremblant area. I think it is the La Belle 15th hole, but I cannot find a picture that definitive enough. I remember it was mid July, I was playing hookie from the US Army at Ft Drum. The wife's family had some friends with an amazing house up there. Played golf with my FIL and friends, I still have the same clubs today. I remember driving up to the tee and looking down at what had to be an 80-100 foot drop off to the fairway and a green that was probably no more than 150 yards. Elevation made it very deceptive. Course was in perfect condition. If anyone here has played up there maybe they have some photos. This was a few years before modern cell phones. I had a Motorola phone to talk to the wife while I was out playing Army, no camera on it.

Top Bottom