Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AMA: Elementary school principal

grimm515

Elite
Founder
I'm trying to do my part to provide more content, so here goes. I have been at an elementary (public) school in a small town (~10K) about an hour from a larger metropolitan area (~2 mil) for two years. My staff is almost all women (thanks, custodians!). I recently was promoted from assistant principal position to head principal. Obviously, I can't divulge personal information, but I will do my best to answer your questions. Fire away!

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Do you have one of those red dots on your house in that app for claiming you’re at an elementary school?

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
But why though?

My SIL was principle of a local middle school. Seemed like a real shit job. I felt sorry for her most times. Especially all the extra curriculum requirements. Was hardly ever home in the evenings and didn't get the long summers either. Not sure why anyone would volunteer for the role with today's parents. BTW - she went back to school and is now the district head shrinker. Not sure of the actual title. Says it's the best thing she ever did.

I guess you could have a couple feel good moments but doesn't seem worth the BS. From parents and staff.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
Will the mask police shut you down if you don't enforce masks and distancing?

Are you legally obligated to follow your county mandate if the state lifts the statewide mandate?

CurtOFD78

Elite
I rate teachers somewhere in the middle when considering occupations that party. Am I accurate, or am I rating them too high/too low?

List:
1. Medical professionals - Nurses, medics, doctors
2. Firefighters
3. Cops
4. Military personnel
5. Teachers
6. Flight attendants
7. Performers/actors (this may be way too low...)
8. Everybody else.

My list is made up of an unscientific matrix that I just created that consists of the amount of stress you endure in your daily work, how much bullshit you have to deal with, length of shifts, and free time.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
What’s been your top three worst experiences dealing with parents
1. Just about got in a fist fight outside the front office with a dad (on the sex offender list, no less) who got in my face and insinuated the bruises on his child's arm were from us. Thankfully, our SRO happened to pull up and dude apparently didn't want a few more years in jail.

2. Kid was crying in the car on drop-off (99% of the time they stop crying after 10 minutes in the classroom). Mom refused to let me take her crying daughter inside and proceeded to hold up the drop off line, then started screaming at me when I told her she needed to circle back around until her daughter was ready or she was ready to let me take her in. Mom used COVID as an excuse to have her daughter in remote learning this year and it's been a disaster for the kid. Total cunt.

3. Mom was very upset that her daughter was placed in the remedial kindergarten class (no preschool or formal schooling, rock bottom eval scores). Proceeded to go on FB and rile up a bunch of other parents who had kids in the class and demanded her daughter be moved to a "normal" classroom. I refused to do it since the year was half way over and their class was concentrating on basic, fundamental skills and would catch up with the other classes in ESY (extended school year) in the summer. Mom melts down and goes to the superintendent who backs me and then goes scorched Earth on social media until finally getting called out by less retarded parents.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
What’s your daily attire on the job. Need to get a mental picture
Usually button-down dress shirt and pants (a tie 1-2 times a week). I wear a lot of nylon and light fitting stuff because it breaths easier, looks good, and requires less maintenance. Fridays it is jeans and a t-shirt.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
But why though?

My SIL was principle of a local middle school. Seemed like a real shit job. I felt sorry for her most times. Especially all the extra curriculum requirements. Was hardly ever home in the evenings and didn't get the long summers either. Not sure why anyone would volunteer for the role with today's parents. BTW - she went back to school and is now the district head shrinker. Not sure of the actual title. Says it's the best thing she ever did.

I guess you could have a couple feel good moments but doesn't seem worth the BS. From parents and staff.
At the end of the day, my job is helping kids or helping teachers help kids. Can it be stressful? Absolutely. But, I would rather work around kids than adults. At least kids I can forgive for being shit heads. That being said, I spent a combat tour in Iraq, so my definition of stressful is way different than most of my female staff. You really can't beat getting hugs and smiles from the kids. Plus, I get to wear super hero suits, wigs, and goofy ties.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Have you ever shit your pants on the job?
No, but I did absolutely destroy the staff restroom the morning after having a bunch of Taco Bell. It was the kind of horrendous shit that you stay in the bathroom ten minutes after you are done to let the stink go away and some extra flushes to get rid of the skid marks in the toilet. On the flip side, I walked in the bathroom one afternoon and I knew who had just taken a shit in there by the terrible body odor this older teacher has. Just walked right back out and had a much more peaceful shit after the students dismissed.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Will the mask police shut you down if you don't enforce masks and distancing?

Are you legally obligated to follow your county mandate if the state lifts the statewide mandate?
Police don't give a damn. Hardly any of the local businesses require it. Walmart doesn't even care. We wear them because the state still has a mandate in place and the county doesn't want to assume the liability of going against it. That being said, the state legislature is GOP controlled and it looks like they are putting an end to the state mandate at the end of March. After that, I assume our county and Board of Education will drop the mask BS.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
I rate teachers somewhere in the middle when considering occupations that party. Am I accurate, or am I rating them too high/too low?

List:
1. Medical professionals - Nurses, medics, doctors
2. Firefighters
3. Cops
4. Military personnel
5. Teachers
6. Flight attendants
7. Performers/actors (this may be way too low...)
8. Everybody else.

My list is made up of an unscientific matrix that I just created that consists of the amount of stress you endure in your daily work, how much bullshit you have to deal with, length of shifts, and free time.
It's a wide spread (like most professions). We have some really good teachers that perform miracles in the classroom with the kids they have (we are a Title 1 district, lots of rural poverty). We also have teachers who aren't there one minute more than their contract dictates. Not surprisingly, the teachers that are big with the NEA, and all their bullshit, are the worst.

Unfortunately, getting rid of crappy teachers is quite a chore that requires a lot of documentation if they have been at your building more than 3 years. It's sad that many admins just throw their hands in the air because many times it feels like it's not worth the trouble.

Overall, I have a good group of teachers. There are only 3 out of 28 that I would get rid of tomorrow, if I could. Thankfully, one is retiring after this year and another is on an improvement plan which means I can most likely dump her if next year isn't better.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Do you suspect any of the 5 would sleep with a student if the opportunity arose?
We're K-2, so I would surely hope not with any students here. However, there was a teacher (she was 45) at the middle school who was boning some kid right after he graduated. Technically, the district couldn't do anything about it since he was no longer a district student, but it was really awkward for the district and the community.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Any can’t miss items in the cafeteria?
The food is provided by the federal government "free" of charge this year, so not really. The fiestada pizza is decent (that octagonal one). Some of the breakfast stuff is alright. Most of it is meh, for lack of a better term. Had a kid empty his guts yesterday puking all over the place, including on one of our paras and a substitute teacher. I still can't believe how much puke came out of that little kid!

Rushie

Poster
Zero. But goddamn if some of them don't need it. Honestly, the parents are the ones that need to be taken behind the woodshed.
Small town I grew up in still had corporal punishment in school into the late 80s. Not surprisingly, there was relatively little fuckery going on in the classroom. Also not surprisingly, any little shithead that decided to engage in fuckery in the classroom and got paddled at school got their ass busted at home once the parents found out their little shithead got paddled at school.

AgEngDawg

Legendary
I'm trying to do my part to provide more content, so here goes. I have been at an elementary (public) school in a small town (~10K) about an hour from a larger metropolitan area (~2 mil) for two years. My staff is almost all women (thanks, custodians!). I recently was promoted from assistant principal position to head principal. Obviously, I can't divulge personal information, but I will do my best to answer your questions. Fire away!

Are you instituting critical race theory instruction across the board?

AgEngDawg

Legendary

What is the difference in the square and the circular pizza? Why do they taste different?

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
What is the difference in the square and the circular pizza? Why do they taste different?
1st of all...there is NO Square pizza....schools have rectangular and the Awesome fiestada Octagonal. You should refer to @ilDonaldoTrumpo for an explanation on f the fiestada pizza awesomeness!

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
At the end of the day, my job is helping kids or helping teachers help kids. Can it be stressful? Absolutely. But, I would rather work around kids than adults. At least kids I can forgive for being shit heads. That being said, I spent a combat tour in Iraq, so my definition of stressful is way different than most of my female staff. You really can't beat getting hugs and smiles from the kids. Plus, I get to wear super hero suits, wigs, and goofy ties.
Intresting. My SIL is also ex military and did a tour in Iraq. She met my BIL in the guard.

Tell_Sackett

Poster
Police don't give a damn. Hardly any of the local businesses require it. Walmart doesn't even care. We wear them because the state still has a mandate in place and the county doesn't want to assume the liability of going against it. That being said, the state legislature is GOP controlled and it looks like they are putting an end to the state mandate at the end of March. After that, I assume our county and Board of Education will drop the mask BS.
I'd like a follow up on your state experience if you think of it. State of IN is lifting the mandate April 6th and I expect nothing will change this school year. It's highly likely my county will maintain a mandate.

Younger kids were supposed to have the ability to sit "distanced" at their desk without masks but that ended in January when a parent complained about a FB post which showed Kindergarteners without masks. I'd like to pummel that parent. Small town, rural district that we moved to this year. I've been surprised how adamant they've been about it.

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder
Public school budgets increase every year. So why all the fundraisers?

Oklahoma

Poster
I could fix this country in ten seconds. Make it a rule that a veteran requires no training to be a teacher or teachers aid. No degree, no training class or workshop, nothing. Guaranteed employment paid for with federal grants and see what happens. Hazard pay for the worst schools.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
I'd like a follow up on your state experience if you think of it. State of IN is lifting the mandate April 6th and I expect nothing will change this school year. It's highly likely my county will maintain a mandate.

Younger kids were supposed to have the ability to sit "distanced" at their desk without masks but that ended in January when a parent complained about a FB post which showed Kindergarteners without masks. I'd like to pummel that parent. Small town, rural district that we moved to this year. I've been surprised how adamant they've been about it.
Our kids have to wear masks. As I said before, we're hoping that ends in a few days. At least by the April board meeting. Cases in my county have been pretty low (30s at the high water mark, back to single digits now). Our kindergarten classes have always had their desks in small groups. The classrooms are too small to space them out. Even in the first and second grade classes the desks are only about 3-4 feet apart. Our community has been very supportive because we stated early our goal was 100% in class for the full year.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Public school budgets increase every year. So why all the fundraisers?
Partly because schools are having to provide more and more basic supplies that used to be provided by parents. A lot of those fundraisers help keep staff from spending money out of their pocket, something I tell them I am adamantly against. If they need something for their students, we'll move money around creatively. I don't like my staff paying for things themselves.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
I could fix this country in ten seconds. Make it a rule that a veteran requires no training to be a teacher or teachers aid. No degree, no training class or workshop, nothing. Guaranteed employment paid for with federal grants and see what happens. Hazard pay for the worst schools.
Fine with me. Neutering teacher's unions would be the best solution. In my experience, NEA teachers are the worst. They aren't in it for the students are no where to be seen once contract time is over. If I suck at my job, the board members non-renew me. I don't see why it should be different for anyone else. Too many ineffective teachers hiding under the NEA's umbrella (and too many superintendents afraid to go toe-to-toe with the NEA).

AgEngDawg

Legendary
How much extra is it for the chocolate milk versus plain?

Top Bottom