Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need research/data/chart help to stop the mask gestapo in my school district

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Some of you know I work as an elementary school principal. Masks are an absolute firestorm in our community (as they are in most places). Our board has a few people that vote based on "the feels" instead of data and common sense. I know for a fact the board is 3 pro, 3 anti mask. The seventh I know is on the fence. I am going to speak at our board meeting tonight about how masks negatively impact learning and that the supposed health benefits aren't worth the educational and social-emotional costs.

If there are some good visual aids or data you have, please post it here and help me keep our students maskless. As a way of saying thanks I donated $20 (poorsinous) for your help and the trouble I caused the admins with my Juneteenth post. :ROFLMAO:

I'll update this evening with what our district decides.

2A02F3D3-ED8A-4A2A-AD34-86323E68A412.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
First of all thank you for standing up for Freedom of Speech.

Here is a great review of the "science" on masks. Summary: in 14 different types of studies 3 of the suggest that mask use may be helpful. Of note, these 3 studies are of the least scientific quality of the 14 studies. The other 11 studies show no statistical difference in mask use. In one particular study involving cloth masks, it suggest that there may be increased risk in mask use, albeit statistically insignificant.

Since there is no proof that masks work, its in my humble opinion, the base case should be to breathe fresh air. No one has a right to determine what you breathe. It very well may turn out 5 years from now that we decide masks are bad for you.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Its also of my opinion that many studies are useless because they assume people wear masks correctly (like in a health setting). However, this is not a realistic assumption in real life.

Going through the airport yesterday the kids dropped them on the ground, switched masks because they didn't like the color etc. Just unrealistic to think that is better than breathing fresh air.

My gut feeling is that masks are more detrimental to your health that positive to your health. Until there is SCIENTIFIC proof that says otherwise I would argue the decision should be left up to the parents. Thats what Freedom means and that is what I want America to stand for.

Fansong63

Poster

The Case Against Masks for Children​

By Marty Makary and H. Cody Meissner
Aug. 8, 2021 12:39 pm ET
Do masks reduce Covid transmission in children? Believe it or not, we could find only a single retrospective study on the question, and its results were inconclusive. Yet two weeks ago the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sternly decreed that 56 million U.S. children and adolescents, vaccinated or not, should cover their faces regardless of the prevalence of infection in their community. Authorities in many places took the cue to impose mandates in schools and elsewhere, on the theory that masks can’t do any harm.

That isn’t true. Some children are fine wearing a mask, but others struggle. Those who have myopia can have difficulty seeing because the mask fogs their glasses. (This has long been a problem for medical students in the operating room.) Masks can cause severe acne and other skin problems. The discomfort of a mask distracts some children from learning. By increasing airway resistance during exhalation, masks can lead to increased levels of carbon dioxide in the blood. And masks can be vectors for pathogens if they become moist or are used for too long.

In March, Ireland’s Department of Health announced that it won’t require masks in schools because they “may exacerbate anxiety or breathing difficulties for some students.” Some children compensate for such difficulties by breathing through their mouths. Chronic and prolonged mouth breathing can alter facial development. It is well-documented that children who mouth-breathe because adenoids block their nasal airways can develop a mouth deformity and elongated face.

The possible psychological harm of widespread masking is an even greater worry. Facial expressions are integral to human connection, particularly for young children, who are only learning how to signal fear, confusion and happiness. Covering a child’s face mutes these nonverbal forms of communication and can result in robotic and emotionless interactions, anxiety and depression. Seeing people speak is a building block of phonetic development. It is especially important for children with disabilities such as hearing impairment

The adverse developmental effects of requiring masks for a few weeks are probably minor. We can’t say that with any confidence when the practice stretches on for months or years.

What about the risk of Covid, which mask mandates are intended to ameliorate? The CDC reports that for the week of July 31 the rate of hospitalization with Covid for children 5 to 17 was 0.5 per 100,000, which would amount to roughly 250 patients. The CDC acknowledges that not all of these children were in the hospital for Covid: Viral testing at admission is routine, even for patients who have no Covid symptoms. Children who do develop Covid symptoms are at minimal risk of “long Covid,” according to a Lancet study published Aug. 3: “Almost all children had symptom resolution by 8 weeks, providing reassurance about long-term outcomes.”
Children have been known to transmit Covid, but far less often than adults do. A North Carolina study conducted before vaccines were available found not a single case of student-to-teacher transmission when 90,000 students were in school. The faster-spreading Delta variant has emerged since—but many teachers, parents and children 12 and over have also been vaccinated.
The CDC’s mask decrees are perversely permissive as well as needlessly strict. Cloth masks aren’t nearly as effective as N95 respirators, but the CDC directives ignore the distinction. “Many of the face cloth coverings that people wear are not very effective in reducing any of the virus movement in or out,” epidemiologist Michael Osterholm, who served on the Biden transition team’s Covid task force, told CNN last week. In July, after coming under attack for similar comments, Mr. Osterholm wrote a 5,000-word clarification seeking to dispel “notions that I’m ‘anti-mask.’ ”
We have been encouraging Americans to wear masks since the beginning of the pandemic. But special attention should be paid to the many children who struggle with masks. Public-health officials claim to base their decisions and guidance on science, but there’s no science behind mask mandates for children. A new research study by one of us (Dr. Makary) and his Johns Hopkins colleagues found that of the $42 billion the National Institutes of Health spent on research last year, less than 2% went to Covid clinical research and not a single grant was dedicated to studying masks in children.
In the absence of data, mask mandates have ignited a culture war. Yet if masks do reduce asymptomatic transmission in children, they likely rank no higher than fourth among mitigation strategies that schools can adopt, after ventilation, distancing and dividing students into small groups known as pods. Mandatory vaccination of all teachers and other adults who lack natural immunity—which teachers unions have vigorously opposed—would also help.
Any child who wants to wear a mask should be free to do so. But forcing them to make personal, health and developmental sacrifices for the sake of adults who refuse to get immunized is abusive. Before we order the masking of 56 million Americans who are too young to vote and don’t have a lobby, let’s see data showing the benefits and weigh them against the long-term harm.

Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, editor-in-chief of Medpage Today and author of “The Price We Pay”. Dr. Meissner is chief of pediatric infectious diseases at Tufts Children’s Hospital and served on the Food and Drug Administration’s external advisory panel for the Covid-19 vaccines.
Correction
For the week of July 31 the rate of hospitalization with Covid of U.S. children 5 to 17 was 0.5 per 100,000, which would amount to roughly 250 patients. An earlier version misstated the denominator and the estimated number of patients.

Jtrain80

Legendary
Ask the fence rider if he/she wants to deal with the pissed off momma's.

Ask if his/her underwear can stop a fart.

Discuss the biological process that breathing execretes wastes and bacteria from the body.

Bring up the natural immunity that young people have.

Maybe bring a picture of a smiling student, to remind them what you are fighting for. Why should that be hidden.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Anytime I’ve seen a site that claims masks work, I evaluate their claims. I then break it down to whomever is arguing that it’s science the masks don’t protect.. lol.
So it it’s a true N95 being worn all the time, yes this might help. The data on these sites will give a n0 value. Anything over 1 is spreading.
Lastly I bring up an analogy I got from Alex Jones. Imagine a moscito flying thru a chain link fence.. then image the ccp virus 🦠 going thru a mask… it’s the same proportion.

4n6tox

Poster
Thanks for fighting for the kids. I would caution you about over reliance on presentation of scientific papers or studies. It's absolutely infuriating to me the number of people out there today ready and willing to interpret scientific data and publications with no more than a high school level science education. It's a recipe for cognitive bias. Participating in high school science fair does not make a scientist.

Stay away from masks dont "work" because that is relative. Focus on mask don't do what THEY want them to do, and that is "protect" children and everyone else from SARS-CoV-2. It's a false sense of security and safety at the expense of children.

I can feed my children big Macs 7 days a week a literally kill them at a young age and the government would do nothing to stop me. Don't mask them and you deserve the gulag. It's absolutely a psychosis of some kind. Parents should decide this not low rent school board part time politicians.

Edit: looking at time stamp of your post my advice is too late as you are probably gettin' hyper up ready for the show. Good luck.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Some of you know I work as an elementary school principal. Masks are an absolute firestorm in our community (as they are in most places). Our board has a few people that vote based on "the feels" instead of data and common sense. I know for a fact the board is 3 pro, 3 anti mask. The seventh I know is on the fence. I am going to speak at our board meeting tonight about how masks negatively impact learning and that the supposed health benefits aren't worth the educational and social-emotional costs.

If there are some good visual aids or data you have, please post it here and help me keep our students maskless. As a way of saying thanks I donated $20 (poorsinous) for your help and the trouble I caused the admins with my Juneteenth post. :ROFLMAO:

I'll update this evening with what our district decides.

View attachment 40051
Seriously that post is a badge of honor for you. I’ll prob put it on a billboard outside that marketing companies office

JonnySober

Poster
Thanks for fighting for the kids. I would caution you about over reliance on presentation of scientific papers or studies. It's absolutely infuriating to me the number of people out there today ready and willing to interpret scientific data and publications with no more than a high school level science education. It's a recipe for cognitive bias. Participating in high school science fair does not make a scientist.

Stay away from masks dont "work" because that is relative. Focus on mask don't do what THEY want them to do, and that is "protect" children and everyone else from SARS-CoV-2. It's a false sense of security and safety at the expense of children.

I can feed my children big Macs 7 days a week a literally kill them at a young age and the government would do nothing to stop me. Don't mask them and you deserve the gulag. It's absolutely a psychosis of some kind. Parents should decide this not low rent school board part time politicians.

Edit: looking at time stamp of your post my advice is too late as you are probably gettin' hyper up ready for the show. Good luck.
Just ask the perpetrators, "what's the science behind fresh air"

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Ask the fence rider if he/she wants to deal with the pissed off momma's.

Ask if his/her underwear can stop a fart.

Discuss the biological process that breathing execretes wastes and bacteria from the body.

Bring up the natural immunity that young people have.

Maybe bring a picture of a smiling student, to remind them what you are fighting for. Why should that be hidden.
Yeah the lack of smiles and facial expressions pisses me off. My kids are good looking kids and have a lot of personality. I feel like the masks just turns them into people who are on anti-depressants or something. They just become monotone bland.

I hate masks. I don't care if they help a little bit or not, im not willing to make the trade off.

racernhra

Elite
Founder
A week ago today our local school board passed a mandate, the only one around that did. Others are suggested but not mandatory.

We started a group and within 2 days have almost 400 people. They’ve called a special meeting tomorrow to address the public’s concern.

Anywho, I am set to speak first to open the meeting. A little torn simply because my wife is a teacher and she’s fearful of blowback, which I understand. Son is in middle school and he’s not concerned. I do business with the school and understand I may lose it but that’s last on my list of concerns.

Jtrain80

Legendary
Yeah the lack of smiles and facial expressions pisses me off. My kids are good looking kids and have a lot of personality. I feel like the masks just turns them into people who are on anti-depressants or something. They just become monotone bland.

I hate masks. I don't care if they help a little bit or not, im not willing to make the trade off.

Someone once said, if you give an inch, they will take a mile.

well, the inch has been given.

grimm515

Elite
Founder
Update: board voted 4-3 to make masks optional. I really hit home that while we know masks negatively impact learning, there isn't convincing evidence they provide a tangible health benefit. They said they will re-evaluate every month based on cases, but I can't see them reversing this unless it gets significantly worse. Score one for the good guys.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Update: board voted 4-3 to make masks optional. I really hit home that while we know masks negatively impact learning, there isn't convincing evidence they provide a tangible health benefit. They said they will re-evaluate every month based on cases, but I can't see them reversing this unless it gets significantly worse. Score one for the good guys.
Congrats to you, a victory for free speech. If you don’t want to say that is fine but where are you located?

Our school district just voted tonight to violate state law and demand masks be worn. The state attorney general already made an advisory that it was illegal but they voted to do it anyway.

will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom