Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UPDATE: Teardrop Trailer Build - Follow me for tips...

RaleighTiger

Poster
Founder
First step: the trailer. 5x8 Ironton bought from Northern Tool. Came in three boxes. Took better part of a day to put together because the directions sucked ass.

mJjiAkc.jpg

RaleighTiger

Poster
Founder
Can't believe it is almost June and I have provided no updates. So like any project I do, it always takes longer than I think it will. But progress is being made. Some pics and comments. Fist pics are flooring and insulation. Also ran wire that I ultimately didn't use.

Attachments

• 20210314_153013.jpg
    20210314_153013.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210314_153027.jpg
    20210314_153027.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210314_171023.jpg
    20210314_171023.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

RaleighTiger

Poster
Founder
Did some redneck engineering on the hitch. The stock 5x8 trailer from Northern Tool has an issue with the coupler pulling away from the plate. After some advice from my teardrop group, I went to a metal fabricator and got a 5 foot piece of 2x2 square tube and a new plate done. More secure and extends the tongue an extra foot, so easier for backing in. That center bar is the new one. The original frame only had the angular side rails.20210529_211917.jpg

RaleighTiger

Poster
Founder
After all this, I finally started building up. Side walls, galley, etc. Still was toying with what to do with the siding, do finally went with aluminum composite. New trend in the teardrop community. Mostly used by sign companies for external signage, so perfect for trailers. After some finangling, found a local sign company that could order it for me - the supplier is a wholesaler, so I couldn't buy it directly. Decided on green. Not permanent, but this is what it will look like.20210513_175921.jpg

RaleighTiger

Poster
Founder
Then came the wiring. I know the basics of house wiring, but this was a different animal since most RVs run components on DC and have a battery for off-grid operation. All new to me. Did my research, bought a converter and began wiring. But my plan is to just have shore power now (a plug on the outside to hook up at a campsite) then add a battery later. Watched YouTube videos and thought I wired it correctly, but still couldn't get my DC side to work. I have standard wall outlets for AC which had power, but none of my LED lights worked, all on DC. Even had an electrician buddy come over and he was stumped. Finally, the light bulb came on and we discovered with no battery, you still have to ground. Tada!20210529_205923.jpg

RaleighTiger

Poster
Founder
Really hoping I am getting into the final stretch. Adding insulation between the studs is time consuming and messy as fuck. But I am getting to the point of finishing work which I like. Galley has been painted with two coats of exterior paint. Right side will have a drawer slide for yeti cooler knockoff. Left side will have a slide for a portable stove and storage. Counter top was stained and two coats of polyurethane (with more to come). Will have cabinets here as well.20210529_205816.jpg

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
Slight minor chub already. Only thing I’ve done lately in leg recovery is a lego version of Doak Campbell.

View attachment 4837
Mad respect..... you literally built a nicer stadium that the shit hole in Tallahassee....out of Legos none the less. Gotta say I’m not surprised by this but still great job man!

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
If you are frustrated with your inverter try something. Mine only works when it is plugged in and the power goes out. I thought that it was simply not working but we had an a outage and it kicked on. Unplugged shore power with breaker off and it shuts off. Totally baffles the technician.

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
If you are frustrated with your inverter try something. Mine only works when it is plugged in and the power goes out. I thought that it was simply not working but we had an a outage and it kicked on. Unplugged shore power with breaker off and it shuts off. Totally baffles the technician.
Probably the same grounding issue.

Top Bottom