Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Moon... it's a trap!

TheFiend

Poster

I've long wondered what President Kennedy meant when he said "....we choose to go to the moon and do the other thing", (although it's also difficult to discern from the audio recording whether he said "...thing.", as in: the singular, or if instead he said the plural form, "...things.".)

For all I currently know, maybe it's already widely known, or common knowledge as to what exactly President K specifically meant by "...thing"/or "..things."(?)

I've long wondered what President Kennedy meant when he said "....we choose to go to the moon and do the other thing", (although it's also difficult to discern from the audio recording whether he said "...thing.", as in: the singular, or if instead he said the plural form, "...things.".)

For all I currently know, maybe it's already widely known, or common knowledge as to what exactly President K specifically meant by "...thing"/or "..things."(?)
what do you think the other things were?

Joe King

Elite
I'd wondered about that too. After doing some reading on it, it seems pretty simple. In his speech he was comparing going to the Moon with all the other hard things we (humanity) have done and will continue to do into the future.

He made reference to us choosing to explore the Oceans, climb the highest mountain, fly the Atlantic, etc etc. Those things and hard things not yet done, are the "other" things. He was trying to lump it all together, as to why we should seek to do it.

He knew we were behind the Soviets with regards to space, and that was his way of saying we should do it, without saying we have to do it just to keep them from getting there first.

Rhetorical Analysis of Choosing to go to the Moon "and do the Other Things"

Joe King

Elite
What really needs examining, is what he meant when he said this:

"For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations."

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed. It conducts the Cold War, in short, with a war-time discipline no democracy would ever hope or wish to match
."

By the looks of things, the "monolithic and ruthless conspiracy" appears to be winning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom