Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Garden Thread

Renegadenole

Poster
Founder
It is Springtime. Let’s see your gardens.

I roto tilled a spot for sweet corn today.

This will be 100 yard long rows. I’m planting Aspire Round Up ready sweet corn. I bought 2500 seeds so 4.5 rows at 6 inch spacing.
That's awesome and I can appreciate the commitment and work. But, "round-up ready" sweet corn? Didn't know this was a thing.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Increasing my garden size this year. I'm building two raised beds here in the next week or so. Here is what I have started indoors:

Peppers: Fish (medium hot), Bull Nose Sweet, Jimmy Nardello (long chili looking but sweet)

Bee balm for pollinators

The other pictures have the lettuce and tomatoes I've started. The third picture is random seeds I found in the garage and because I hate clutter I decided to plant them and see what happens. The flowers have already sprout after only a few days. Pepper seedlings.JPGLettuce Tomato seeds.JPGRandom Seeds.JPGSeeds.JPG

TJHall1

Legendary
I should have sent you some of my seeds.
tenor.gif

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Im hoping my asparagus plot comes through this year. I did well for 2 years and didn't do much a couple years ago. So I let it go untouched this past year all the way to fall so the roots could get plenty of sun power.

Also going big on Romas. I made my own pasta sauce last year but I way underestimated how much you need to make a good amount. Thinking 12 plants this year.

Nape

Elite
Founder
You doing heirloom?
I’ve been growing my own chile’s since 1998. I have been documenting the crop (weather,temps, taste, heat) each year and have been saving seeds since 2002. I replant my seeds every year and I believe my seeds know our climate, my soil, and how I treat them. Or at least I hope they do. So they aren’t heirloom per se but they are adjusted to my soil, etc.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I’ve been growing my own chile’s since 1998. I have been documenting the crop (weather,temps, taste, heat) each year and have been saving seeds since 2002. I replant my seeds every year and I believe my seeds know our climate, my soil, and how I treat them. Or at least I hope they do. So they aren’t heirloom per se but they are adjusted to my soil, etc.
Im wanting to do that with garlic. I tried last year but they all died. lol. Im gonna order some this year and see if I have better luck.

MeridianOSU

Legendary
Founder
Planting garden 1st weekend of May so don’t have to cover plants at night as much. Early Girl and Celebrity tomato plants started 3 weeks ago. Will plant cakes, green beans, radishes, lettuce, zucchini and bell peppers.

We still have enough herbs and spices to skip this year.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
The floods drowned my sweet corn. I’m
tilling it all up and starting over.

I can’t abide a 50% germination rate.

Other vegetables will be planted as soon as the ground dries.

Welcome to farming.

Last edited:

Nape

Elite
Founder
My pepper patch is going to town. Tons of cayenne’s already. The lemon drops are getting ready to start shitting out their fruit pods soon and the habanero’s and ghosts have about a month before fruit arrives. We haven’t had much rain the last two weeks so I have had to water more than I’m used to. We finally got 2”+ Sunday, along with a nasty ‘Nader that dropped about a mile from my house. 11:00pm naders suck.
DB17A185-2F56-4881-A914-4DFA47149B91.jpeg
32454776-D47E-42A4-BEB5-24471CBF2C29.jpeg

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
My pepper patch is going to town. Tons of cayenne’s already. The lemon drops are getting ready to start shitting out their fruit pods soon and the habanero’s and ghosts have about a month before fruit arrives. We haven’t had much rain the last two weeks so I have had to water more than I’m used to. We finally got 2”+ Sunday, along with a nasty ‘Nader that dropped about a mile from my house. 11:00pm naders suck.
View attachment 28098
View attachment 28099
Looks good man! Do you do anything to prevent insects? Peppers are the biggest pain in the ass for me because the bugs go after them big time

sanction

Legendary
Founder
View attachment 28098
View attachment 28099
Those look good.

I had a complete failure with your seeds Nape. I planted 3 separate times and heavy rain screwed me every time. The last ones I planted have some small plants growing. Will have to wait and see.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
I’m picking about 50 squash every 2 days and a lot of eggplants and cucumbers.

My tomatos have blight and are rotting just before ripening. I picked 100 green today and will spray with copper and wait on next batch.

The sweet corn looks good and should be ready in a couple of weeks

Top Bottom