Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Garden Thread

Nape

Elite
Founder
I’m picking about 50 squash every 2 days and a lot of eggplants and cucumbers.

My tomatos have blight and are rotting just before ripening. I picked 100 green today and will spray with copper and wait on next batch.

The sweet corn looks good and should be ready in a couple of weeks
With maters I always add calcium via egg shells to my plot. Any time I make hard boiled eggs I will take the shells and add will put them in my blender and then add that slurry to my garden.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Fresh squash recipe

Cut squash lengthwise into spears

Soak in buttermilk a few minutes

Strain

Sprinkle with equal parts salt and sugar

Roll in cornmeal

Fry till crispy. Damn

I could eat 10 plates of that.

Try this:

Go get the best, flakiest white fish you can find (I use Alaskan cod) and salt/pepper/cayenne it. Get a big sheet of aluminum foil and put down some EVOO on it. Place the cod on the foil. You are going to make a pouch so use enough.

Thinly slice zucchini, yellow squash, and some fennel and toss with some garlic, EVOO, Calabrian chile peppers, lemon slices, and some fresh parsley/oregano/thyme. Pile that on the fish, add a couple dabs of butter and a shot of white wine. Seal it all up in a pouch and bake in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Be sure to have plenty of crusty bread to sop up all of those juices. Scarf.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
My jalapeno and banana pepper plants are tiny but are producing lots of peppers. Is this normal? Seems like they should be twice the size they are and produce a little less than they are.... If tomato plants produced like this I could retire on like 8 plants.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Got my first Siamese twin squash today::: View attachment 30024

yes I know but looks like a ball sack:
Getting 10-12 squash a day, 5-8 zucchini, tomatoes are about to bust forth. At least 20-30 green ones ready to turn

Genetic Freak. Save the seeds from that one, it carries some genetic misformation i would think.

Interesting fact is that genetics were founded by a monk who was a pea farmer in europe, I believe Germany.

PawPower1981

I love those 👩🏻‍🦰
Founder
stupid quesion, but what do you put in the jar with the cukes? Vinegar? water?

How long do you let them marinate or whatever you call it before you eat them?

i bought a dry dill mix, you add vinegar and water to boil. Then add the mix to the jars and seal.

let the cans sit out at room temp for 12-24 hrs then refrigerate. Should be good to eat in a couple days

Nape

Elite
Founder
I can hardly keep up with my cayennes. Last year I had 4 quart mason jars full of mash for my DLJ. This year I am already at 3 and I’ll fill a 4th today. Probably 10 more to go. Picked these just now. It’s my 3rd pick of the week. The lemon drops are coming soon as are the habaneros and ghosts.
8A8CCD4B-381E-4FC9-A8FB-DC9FC88C7217.jpegimage.jpg

Top Bottom