Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Garden Thread

skramer100

Elite
Founder
All good pal. Living the good life. Ready to get the fuck outta IL. About a year from now we’ll be gone. Youngest needs to graduate HS first.

Garden is going nuts. Cool spring and now tons of sunshine.
View attachment 107741
View attachment 107744
You finally getting out of Illinois and heading to DeSantis land next year?

Jtrain80

Legendary

best heirloom peas.been growing them 20 years-no fall off

best bean

So, we are adding to garden and need some Okra seeds. I came here to see if anywhere else was having supply chain issues for it. Thank you, that link has some.

Any recommendations on which strain grows best in Oklahoma?

noleology

Elite
Founder
So, we are adding to garden and need some Okra seeds. I came here to see if anywhere else was having supply chain issues for it. Thank you, that link has some.

Any recommendations on which strain grows best in Oklahoma?
I'd get a heirloom variety..keep seeds back every year

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder

Little garden update. Grew carrots for the first time and they turned out OK. These were some that were kinda close together so I just picked them to see what they looked like.

Fresh squash and beans have been fantastic.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I'm going big this year. My nephew is digging a trench for me and we will fill it with river dirt and plant potato's, beets and onions in it. I'm also going to do a long double line of watermelon on the river bank this year.

Food is going to be scarce I fear and I don't want to be short handed.

Jtrain80

Legendary
Wife is isdrawing the layout. About to do a controlled burn so the tilling won't be such a bitch.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
I'm going big this year. My nephew is digging a trench for me and we will fill it with river dirt and plant potato's, beets and onions in it. I'm also going to do a long double line of watermelon on the river bank this year.

Food is going to be scarce I fear and I don't want to be short handed.
I'm hoping the world hangs on long enough for us to get a bigger piece of property so I can go all out.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
Met a lady that picks up plants for a community from a grower a few
hours away.

She claims that Bonnie Plant company grows so much inventory
that they have to apply a growth inhibitor to manage their plants.

I have noticed a lack of growth in some plants for a month after they
are planted.

I’m going to try the plants she gets.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Just picked a few strawberries out of our garden this morning. Bell peppers are coming along nicely. My okra and zucchini are both struggling a bit due to some colder than normal weather.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Just picked a few strawberries out of our garden this morning. Bell peppers are coming along nicely. My okra and zucchini are both struggling a bit due to some colder than normal weather.
You must be somewhere warm. We've got snow in the forecast up here.

Goldhedge

Legendary
FYI

Cold Season Vegetables​

PLEASE USE THE “COLD SEASON” DROP DOWN MENU ABOVE TO BROWSE THE CATALOGUE

Cold season vegetables survive unexpected snow, frost and cold weather during a normal summer growing season. We encourage gardeners new to the mountains to choose exclusively cold season vegetables. Arugula, asparagus, fava bean, beet, broccoli, brussels sprout, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, Chinese celery, chicory, corn salad, kale, leek, lettuce, oriental mustard, onion, pac choi, parsnip, pea, radish, spinach, Swiss chard and turnip are all examples of cold season vegetables. Some are indestructible in all forms of frost and snow while others such as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower need some protection when very young. Generally all will allow a gardener to ignore mid-summer frost danger.

For additional detailed information see our vegetable information page

Top Bottom