Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

***Official 36th Americas Cup Thread***

Gump_Tiger

Poster
I will break down daily what I am hearing out of Auckland including pictures, videos and any other cool shit I might hear. I will post here and on the MB. I am happy to answer any question and can pass along questions if you would like.

The Prada Cup which starts in 2 days is a battle between 3 countries to see who will be the Challenger against New Zealand in the 36th Americas cup. The teams include

America - American Magic Patriot
Italy - Luna Rossa
England - Britannia

My cousin has been racing for a long time and is the chase boat captain. He helped design and build this years AC75 boat.

D847A070-4604-41A7-915E-1FC9F7A8E3F9.jpeg
We are now 2 days away from the Prada Cup race to see who will be the Challenger for this years Americas Cup. The brits have really been working on their tacking and straight line speed and have improved greatly. They are still the 4 seed IMO but have come a long way since the Christmas regatta.

The Italians have had some solid runs recently they are a threat. They are a solid 3 seed and actually have some value (+400) for the Prada Cup

American Magic is looking like the solid number 2 boat right now. Straight line speed is great but once again the tacking issue has to be solved ASAP or they have no chance against the kiwis. Saying that....

The kiwis capsized their boat yesterday this is the 3rd time they’ve capsized their boat. That is going to be a big issue with them when they defend the cup. Rumors out of Auckland are that they have some issues since the accident. The wind got up under the foils and a crosswind hit them at the same time. Hopefully their boat is ruined.

This is from the American Chase boat during today’s practice session.

3-A661408-CA6-B-4-C07-909-B-92-C0-BE3-B8-B42.jpg

Here is the video of the kiwis capsizing their boat.

We are so close in just 2 days we get this party started!

Last edited:

Gump_Tiger

Poster
@Gump_Tiger have you ever considered stealing one of your cousins yacht racing yachts and taking that motherfucker to Yacht week? I would have a giant fake ass trophy made and filled with Champaign
Haha I could, but I haven’t sailed in a long time. I can get my old dinghy out of storage but that would look poor AF during yacht week.

I really want to get a solo hydrofoil racing boat.... bad

3EEDEA77-1A1A-48AC-A17A-925F1E363B67.jpeg

BarkBarkBark

Poster
Also here is the GOAT Americas Cup movie. It’s free and it’s so fucking good.

Yep, one of my goat movies.

“- Will Parker: Are you expecting anybody?
- Joe Heiser: Well, it might be the IRS.
- Will Parker: Maybe its the Australians coming to spy on us!”
[a plane arrives at Joe's desert hangar]

My brother and I have been using the line “maybe it’s the Australians coming to spy on us” since we were kids. Love it.

Gump_Tiger

Poster
Here is our schedule starting tonight. America takes on Britain. I fully expect a win tonight but the brits are coming on strong over the last week. We should have a fun race tonight.

m2265_PRADA_CUP_CALENDAR.jpg

Today, the practicing stops and the points scoring starts. From here, the three challengers will spend the next four weeks fighting it out in the PRADA Cup to gain the right to go up against the defenders, Emirates Team New Zealand to race for the America’s Cup presented by PRADA in March.

The America’s Cup World Series demonstrated that the challengers are already developing their boats and sailing techniques at a blistering pace, allowing them to build confidence quickly which in turn is allowing them to push their opponents harder.

m3491_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_16106543998AAB.png

The opening day of Round Robin 1 sees INEOS TEAM UK face both of their opponents, American Magic first, followed by Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli. With a weather forecast showing breezes of 12-15knots from the south west, the conditions will be on their favoured side of a wind range that has proved to be tricky for Sir Ben Ainslie and his team who have been open about their struggles in the lighter conditions. But as the recent practice racing displayed, the British performance has improved considerably.

American Magic had started the pre-Christmas racing with concerns about their light weather performance as well and yet came away being pleasantly surprised. In the earlier racing this week they looked less poised at times than they had earlier on and will be keen to re-gain their early advantage.

Meanwhile, the Italian team Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli has been at the other end of the scale, confident with their light weather performance, while accepting the need to improve in stronger breezes.

So, if today’s forecast conditions are delivered, all three teams could find themselves in a tricky crossover.

Some might say, the perfect way to begin the series!

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Here is our schedule starting tonight. America takes on Britain. I fully expect a win tonight but the brits are coming on strong over the last week. We should have a fun race tonight.

m2265_PRADA_CUP_CALENDAR.jpg

Today, the practicing stops and the points scoring starts. From here, the three challengers will spend the next four weeks fighting it out in the PRADA Cup to gain the right to go up against the defenders, Emirates Team New Zealand to race for the America’s Cup presented by PRADA in March.

The America’s Cup World Series demonstrated that the challengers are already developing their boats and sailing techniques at a blistering pace, allowing them to build confidence quickly which in turn is allowing them to push their opponents harder.

m3491_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_16106543998AAB.png

The opening day of Round Robin 1 sees INEOS TEAM UK face both of their opponents, American Magic first, followed by Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli. With a weather forecast showing breezes of 12-15knots from the south west, the conditions will be on their favoured side of a wind range that has proved to be tricky for Sir Ben Ainslie and his team who have been open about their struggles in the lighter conditions. But as the recent practice racing displayed, the British performance has improved considerably.

American Magic had started the pre-Christmas racing with concerns about their light weather performance as well and yet came away being pleasantly surprised. In the earlier racing this week they looked less poised at times than they had earlier on and will be keen to re-gain their early advantage.

Meanwhile, the Italian team Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli has been at the other end of the scale, confident with their light weather performance, while accepting the need to improve in stronger breezes.

So, if today’s forecast conditions are delivered, all three teams could find themselves in a tricky crossover.

Some might say, the perfect way to begin the series!

Is it available only online to watch or which tv channel? Thanks man and thanks for starting this thread over here.

Gump_Tiger

Poster
Is it available only online to watch or which tv channel? Thanks man and thanks for starting this thread over here.
You will be able to watch on NBC sports starting tonight at 11 central time.

Here is the round robin schedule for tonight.

• New York Yacht Club American Magic​

New York Yacht Club American Magic

RR1 R1
    SCHEDULED
    INEOS TEAM UK

INEOS TEAM UK​

• INEOS TEAM UK​

INEOS TEAM UK

RR1 R2
    SCHEDULED
    Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team

Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team​

Gump_Tiger

Poster
For our UFC fans the fighter Israel Adesanya is riding on the chase boat with my cousin right now. He is supposedly really into sailing. Who knew

BarkBarkBark

Poster
Kingsley said in the post race interview that the engineers/designers did a complete overhaul of all the ‘non-hull’ components of the boat. Clearly they figured something out that works. They are riding really high on the foils.

Nape

Elite
Founder
What did Ineos do to their kit to be able to foil so well in light winds. Or, more importantly, why the fuck can’t the Patriot get on foil? Bad day all around but this is a long road to the Prada Cup.

I love this shit. I have been watching it ever since I watched Dennis Connor win in the middle of our night down under in the 80s.

Gump_Tiger

Poster
What did Ineos do to their kit to be able to foil so well in light winds. Or, more importantly, why the fuck can’t the Patriot get on foil? Bad day all around but this is a long road to the Prada Cup.

I love this shit. I have been watching it ever since I watched Dennis Connor win in the middle of our night down under in the 80s.
The captain Terry Hutchinson has made some huge tactical errors when you can’t make an error and it’s screwing us over. It could also be design issues. They are strictly built for speed and the light winds killed us.

We need a good showing ASAP otherwise this is going to be a $500 million dollar disaster. We were the heavy favorites to be the challenger 30 days ago and now I don’t see how you don’t put the house on England.... I mean it’s been 180 (or however long years without a win). It makes 1980 look like Bama.

Nape

Elite
Founder
The captain Terry Hutchinson has made some huge tactical errors when you can’t make an error and it’s screwing us over. It could also be design issues. They are strictly built for speed and the light winds killed us.

We need a good showing ASAP otherwise this is going to be a $500 million dollar disaster. We were the heavy favorites to be the challenger 30 days ago and now I don’t see how you don’t put the house on England.... I mean it’s been 180 (or however long years without a win). It makes 1980 look like Bama.
Against Ineos he came into the starting grid too hot and lost his foil. Coming in on starboard he has to give himself plenty of wiggle room. He gave himself none. Against Prada he just sailed an awful fucking race. Sure, the wind was sporadic but he was dead in the water and didn’t find that breath of air. He’s sailing scared. Never thought I’d see that but I think it has to do with the lack of confidence in his kit in light air. Hopefully they figure it out.

Finn

Poster

giphy.gif

Zach10

Poster
I still have no idea how boats work. Yea yea if the weight is less than the displaced water or whatever, but how can something do big just not sink. Like I know why people say they float, but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t get it.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Good god these guys are fucking it all up. I know they had to retool their boat amd that is a huge undertaking. But they lose their bearing while going around a mark and get smoked by Luna Rossa in the first semi final. Still haven’t won a race. It’s only one race and hopefully they can tighten things up and make a run.

Nape

Elite
Founder
And smoked again in the second race. Patriot is all out of whack. Getting to be embarrassing.

Gump_Tiger

Poster
I bet they did. Those big boats doing 50kts is crazy. And awesome to watch. Luna Rossa is dialed in right now. We still have a shot but need to figure out the nuisances of the “new boat”.
We are quickly running out of time though. My cousin said that the boat is too fast and they are worried about it coming in and out of the gates. They don’t have control of it right now. It sucks we looked so good in the Christmas regatta.... now the Brits look unbeatable

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
We are quickly running out of time though. My cousin said that the boat is too fast and they are worried about it coming in and out of the gates. They don’t have control of it right now. It sucks we looked so good in the Christmas regatta.... now the Brits look unbeatable
So where do you fit in with your cousin? Just a spectator or are you involved in the crew some how?

Nape

Elite
Founder
That’s where all of their troubles have been, specifically the windward gates and then catching the downwind just right. The capsize last week and all of the troubles yesterday were all in the same part of the course.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
My cousin is the chase boat captain. His name is dusty and if you watch this video he is in it most of the time. At one point he is screaming at people “starboard”

Very cool! Thanks for sharing over here

Nape

Elite
Founder
I’ve been watching the AC since the early 80s. I’ve never seen an American defender or an American challenger suck quite like this year’s team. Challenges galore after they soaked all of the electronics but to go throughout the entire challenger series and not win, much less compete, in a single race is an abomination. Time to regroup and find a team capable of competing. Embarrassing.

Top Bottom