Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

First Official Lawn Thread

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Looks very nice OP.

I found a lazy mans way of doing it where my yard wouldn’t be perfect but would be better than everyone in the neighborhood that wasn’t paying a service.

Bermuda grass.

Preemergent in October and again in late February. Also would hit the yard with round up in February while the grass was still dormant. Worked pretty well. Never did soil samples to get PH right or anything.

I’m lazy now and am just paying TruGreen

dirtytoeddawg

Legendary
We started a remodeling of our home last summer and I just gave up on keeping up the yard. Almost done now, just going to call in a landscaper & likely drop a few grand to get it straightened back out again. It's disgusting and depressing at the same time to see our yard look like sanford & Sons for almost a year now.

absoluteUnit

Check out the size of this lad
Got mine done yesterday. Don’t know if I was early or late in the spring. I guess it depends on the grass and where you are. Mostly still brown Bermuda grass, but I got that top layer cut off. It should green up super fast. Also got my round up sprayed on all the trouble spots.

Found out my weed eater was missing out of my garage. Don’t know what happened there, but I needed and excuse to get a new one anyways.

This pretty lady looks ready for the Spring time:

1616687865931.jpeg

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
Not yet but I did over seed and put down some 12-12-12 yesterday ahead of the rain that’s coming in today.

My yard is mostly zoysia and I’m trying to get tall fescue to take over. We’ll see how well that goes.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Got mine done yesterday. Don’t know if I was early or late in the spring. I guess it depends on the grass and where you are. Mostly still brown Bermuda grass, but I got that top layer cut off. It should green up super fast. Also got my round up sprayed on all the trouble spots.

Found out my weed eater was missing out of my garage. Don’t know what happened there, but I needed and excuse to get a new one anyways.

This pretty lady looks ready for the Spring time:

View attachment 12332

Do yourself a favor and go Ego, will be switching all my yard stuff to it except the mower. No mixing gas, no pull starting, pull the trigger and it is full speed.

Also yes fixing to have to do my second mowing of the year.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
How many of you have mowed your lawn as of 3/29? I broke the seal yesterday.

My fescue was getting shaggy, but it was by design. I overseeded in some areas and wanted to make sure the root systems had a chance to develop as much as possible before cutting.

First cut is in the books, which means I'm likely on a 1 time per week schedule until mid July, when the temperature slows the growth rate.

Edit:
I changed thread title name to possibly get a universal thread/conversation going, as this is a topic that is talked about year-round.
Second, my apology to @absoluteUnit . You started a first mow of the season thread just few days ago.

@HnstTune What breed of zoysia you running? How far into shady areas does it grow, and how does it handle long stretches of 90+ temperatures? I love fescue, but the summers here makes it wilt and turn brown without copious watering. I think I'd like to try a fescue/zoysia combo...allowing the zoysia to penetrate as far as possible into shaded regions and fescue remaining where the zoysia can't reach.

@4n6tox Tell me about scalping, as this is something I think I **need** to know about. Have a neighbor a block over that has a lawn service. Once I year I notice his front yard is basically flat dirt. Then a month or so later fescue starts poking out. Another few months after that, he's got what could pass as perfect carpet for an early Spring lawn when nobody else has any green showing.

Last edited:

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
I watch the lawn service guys here every week. No idea if they have run a mower, but did get a blanket email to the neighborhood asking people to pick up their dog shit more than once a month. Son does it twice a week.

absoluteUnit

Check out the size of this lad
How many of you have mowed your lawn as of 3/29? I broke the seal yesterday.

My fescue was getting shaggy, but it was by design. I overseeded in some areas and wanted to make sure the root systems had a chance to develop as much as possible before cutting.

First cut is in the books, which means I'm likely on a 1 time per week schedule until mid July, when the temperature slows the growth rate.

Edit:
I changed thread title name to possibly get a universal thread/conversation going, as this is a topic that is talked about year-round.
Second, my apology to @absoluteUnit . You started a first mow of the season thread just few days ago.

@HnstTune What breed of zoysia you running? How far into shady areas does it grow, and how does it handle long stretches of 90+ temperatures? I love fescue, but the summers here makes it wilt and turn brown without copious watering. I think I'd like to try a fescue/zoysia combo...allowing the zoysia to penetrate as far as possible into shaded regions and fescue remaining where the zoysia can't reach.

@4n6tox Tell me about scalping, as this is something I think I **need** to know about. Have a neighbor a block over that has a lawn service. Once I year I notice his front yard is basically flat dirt. Then a month or so later fescue starts poking out. Another few months after that, he's got what could pass as perfect carpet for an early Spring lawn when nobody else has any green showing.
That thread was the one thing I had going in life. This is me now:

1617051148665.jpeg

Top Bottom