Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

First Official Lawn Thread

Peach-head

Poster
Don’t really have one. The interesting thing about my grass is i do nothing to it and it continues to grow faster than I can cut. I have way too much grass to manicure. I did just buy my first commercial grade zero turn last week. Looking forward to cutting the fuck out of some grass this summer.

2117049A-6EF3-455F-B288-8CDD9CB5F5AD.jpeg

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
Don’t really have one. The interesting thing about my grass is i do nothing to it and it continues to grow faster than I can cut. I have way too much grass to manicure. I did just buy my first commercial grade zero turn last week. Looking forward to cutting the fuck out of some grass this summer.

View attachment 13134
I'd pay someone to use this.

Had shoulder surgery back in Oct. Wife thinks mowing the lawn is now her baby..... no fvxking way.

@Nape

absoluteUnit

Check out the size of this lad
Do yourself a favor and go Ego, will be switching all my yard stuff to it except the mower. No mixing gas, no pull starting, pull the trigger and it is full speed.

Also yes fixing to have to do my second mowing of the year.
So I’m prob gonna go get one of these Ego bad boys this weekend. Can I just get the base model and be fine? All I need is a trimmer right now

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
How@HnstTune What breed of zoysia you running? How far into shady areas does it grow, and how does it handle long stretches of 90+ temperatures? I love fescue, but the summers here makes it wilt and turn brown without copious watering. I think I'd like to try a fescue/zoysia combo...allowing the zoysia to penetrate as far as possible into shaded regions and fescue remaining where the zoysia can't reach.

@CBradSmith sorry just now seeing this. I couldn’t tell you what kind of zoysia but I hate it. It was planted when we bought the house. I’m zone 6 and trying to over seed tall fescue to overtake the zoysia. I can handle 6-8 weeks of dormant grass in mid summer over 6-7 months of dormant grass over the winter which is what zoysia does in my zone. Doesn’t do great in shady areas. Also why I’m trying tall fescue because 75% of my back yard is full shade. It was basically dirt when I moved in. Not sure where you’re at but I wouldn’t recommend zoysia in my zone.

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder
Do yourself a favor and go Ego, will be switching all my yard stuff to it except the mower. No mixing gas, no pull starting, pull the trigger and it is full speed.

Also yes fixing to have to do my second mowing of the year.
Keeping my gas powered everything. Fuk the environment, and I dump my used motor oil on the neighbors side of the fence.

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
Keeping my gas powered everything. Fuk the environment, and I dump my used motor oil on the neighbors side of the fence.
It is a major pain in the dick getting the oil right.

I had shoulder surgery in Oct and never tested my blower for the winter - dumb ass mistake.

This fvcking monster blower died and we had one of the heaviest snow accumulations this past Jan. Fvck me.

If electric could do the same job, I'd be 100% in.

Attachments

• 20210226_081955.jpg
    20210226_081955.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
How many of you have mowed your lawn as of 3/29? I broke the seal yesterday.

My fescue was getting shaggy, but it was by design. I overseeded in some areas and wanted to make sure the root systems had a chance to develop as much as possible before cutting.

First cut is in the books, which means I'm likely on a 1 time per week schedule until mid July, when the temperature slows the growth rate.

Edit:
I changed thread title name to possibly get a universal thread/conversation going, as this is a topic that is talked about year-round.
Second, my apology to @absoluteUnit . You started a first mow of the season thread just few days ago.

@HnstTune What breed of zoysia you running? How far into shady areas does it grow, and how does it handle long stretches of 90+ temperatures? I love fescue, but the summers here makes it wilt and turn brown without copious watering. I think I'd like to try a fescue/zoysia combo...allowing the zoysia to penetrate as far as possible into shaded regions and fescue remaining where the zoysia can't reach.

@4n6tox Tell me about scalping, as this is something I think I **need** to know about. Have a neighbor a block over that has a lawn service. Once I year I notice his front yard is basically flat dirt. Then a month or so later fescue starts poking out. Another few months after that, he's got what could pass as perfect carpet for an early Spring lawn when nobody else has any green showing.
I've mowed mine 4 times already. That's nothing compared to the anal retentive man across the street. He mows at least 3 times weekly as well as the leaves in the streets many times in the fall. Hell, I've seen him mow neighbors yards when he thinks they are too high.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
So I’m prob gonna go get one of these Ego bad boys this weekend. Can I just get the base model and be fine? All I need is a trimmer right now

Only one model of each I think, but yeah the batteries are interchangeable between all the tools blower trimmer edger.

Fck mixed gas and pull starting. It's a whole new life style not having to mess with gas or the choke to get it started. Grab it pull the trigger and it's full blast go.

absoluteUnit

Check out the size of this lad
Only one model of each I think, but yeah the batteries are interchangeable between all the tools blower trimmer edger.

Fck mixed gas and pull starting. It's a whole new life style not having to mess with gas or the choke to get it started. Grab it pull the trigger and it's full blast go.
Holy shit dude thanks so much for the rec. less than $200 and that thing is bad ass. I got the last one of the Ego’s at Lowe’s and the stock was completely full of all the other brands of electric trimmers - seems like Ego is highly sought after

Cantuckee

Poster
Founder
I’ll be scalping the Fescue this weekend.
Then I’ll come in with some top soil and level things out a bit. Hit with some seed, cover with some peat moss. Hammer with Milorganite.

then let the weeks and weeks of rain do work.

Ive already put down the Tenacity as pre emergent.

Will mix it with some surfactant here in a couple weeks and use it as post emergent for anything else.

Then wait for fall soil sampling, and fall core aeration . Got a stand on that pulls 5” plugs

overseed, hammer with more milorganite.
Then post fall hit it with 47-0-0

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
How much did you pay for that😂. Lawn looks like shit too...J/K. They finally turned on irrigation water last week (a week late) so mine is half green/brown. Put fertilizer and weed sprayed this past week. It will be green and need mowed twice a week soon.
Mine has taken a bit longer to green up cause I left it pretty thick over the winter, but it’s about to be poppin. I love working in the yard. Stress relief

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
Hot damn guys.... end of lawn season is soon upon us.

Dethatched, overseesed and fertilized this afternoon.

Just adjusted the irrigation system for new seed.

Shit, season went fast!20210920_153828.jpg20210915_173407.jpg20210920_154812.jpg

Attachments

• 20210920_153836.jpg
    20210920_153836.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Roses cut back, core aerated the lawn, some top dressing, fertilized and over seeding done.
I got my crepe myrtles shedded back. They were massive and they look a bit retarded right now, but should be poppin by May.

I filled some dips in my yard, but its not a cosmetic problem (except when I would scalp the yard there with the mower)

Gonna get some mulch and clean the beds out next weekend, but otherwise should be ready to flex on the rest of the neighborhood

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
I got my crepe myrtles shedded back. They were massive and they look a bit retarded right now, but should be poppin by May.

I filled some dips in my yard, but its not a cosmetic problem (except when I would scalp the yard there with the mower)

Gonna get some mulch and clean the beds out next weekend, but otherwise should be ready to flex on the rest of the neighborhood
I have a golf lawn level rake which I used today. Awesome tool, but pricey.

Mahozzle

Elite
Founder

I’ve always heard mixed reviews on chopping Crepe myrtles? What’s the pros and cons on this?

Top Bottom