Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

First Official Lawn Thread

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
My lawn is pretty awful. Got a much of oak trees which are hard to grow grass under and whatever does grow the dog and kids kill running around on it.

Any thoughts on a synthetic lawn?

Would look a lot better, but wonder what happens when the dog starts peeing and crapping on it. Could get pretty nasty.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I’ve always heard mixed reviews on chopping Crepe myrtles? What’s the pros and cons on this?

Lady on our neighborhood Nextdoor kept railing on people for commiting “Crepe Murder” by trimming the trees to far back.

I don’t know the right answer, but those things grow pretty damn fast after you cut them back.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
View attachment 88078This is after the first cut a few weeks back. Gets tougher as the heat comes just south of Raleigh...
Looks like yours was done the right way
Lady on our neighborhood Nextdoor kept railing on people for commiting “Crepe Murder” by trimming the trees to far back.

I don’t know the right answer, but those things grow pretty damn fast after you cut them back.
I definitely crepe murdered because mine were fucking massive. If I had trimmed them like Rolly's it wouldn't have solved my problem of them hanging over the house. We will see how they bounce back. If I remember I'll get a picture this afternoon

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
My lawn is pretty awful. Got a much of oak trees which are hard to grow grass under and whatever does grow the dog and kids kill running around on it.

Any thoughts on a synthetic lawn?

Would look a lot better, but wonder what happens when the dog starts peeing and crapping on it. Could get pretty nasty.
Synthetic lawn sounds like it would be a disaster in the end. Maybe good the first year or two, but I would imagine the life span on one of those isn't too great, especially under oak trees.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
Looks like yours was done the right way

I definitely crepe murdered because mine were fucking massive. If I had trimmed them like Rolly's it wouldn't have solved my problem of them hanging over the house. We will see how they bounce back. If I remember I'll get a picture this afternoon
I’ve found they are hard to kill...the purists in the south will slander you for it, but I don’t think it hurts them.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I’ve got a a little breezeway between my garage and shop that my dog had a destroyed over the winter. I got the holes filled and used some landscape adhesive to fix a small retaining wall there. Smoothed it all out and then covered with mulch. Glad I got that done. Prob putting weed eating and edging another week

Last edited:

TJHall1

Legendary
Wish it was that easy
For some people it is, they actually do that, some dogs love the treadmill. There's a lady in my neighborhood who has two big golden retrievers who pretty much drag her along on her rascal. Knew an old guy a long time ago who would hop in his Buick and cruise around going about 5 mph holding the leash out the window.
I read an article yesterday about people who have huskies, German Shepard, etc and they make back packs out of stuff at their house because those dog breeds like the extra weight and work when they're out in the yard running around or out for a walk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom