Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Firearm recommendations

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
Totally agree with the posters who recommend renting several guns and seeing which one is right for you. All of the major manufacturers make quality reliable guns. The decision is a personal one that is based on what feels right to you. If you rent a variety of guns, what you'll probably notice is that some just seem to be more accurate than others. This is not a reflection of the actual accuracy of the gun (they're all accurate), but how accurately you shoot them.

All that said, I would stick with 9mm. 45cal and 40cal are inferior on capacity and felt recoil, while not providing much of a ballistics advantage for typical defense scenarios. (My everyday carry gun is a 40cal, but my next EDC gun will be 9mm.). I'm also much more of a fan of striker fired guns and not hammer fired guns for self defense.

When you're serious about training, consider shooting in an IDPA match. You'll learn a lot there.

EdgeBest

Poster
Noob in florida here. I've shot my friends guns s few times.

I want a shotgun that is fun to shoot and can also protect the home. And doesn't look gay.

What kind and where do I buy

Dr. Zaius

Poster
Founder

I want a shotgun that is fun to shoot and can also protect the home. And doesn't look gay.

24e891a89992608c3e51cd19c2ad940d.jpg

Jtrain80

Legendary

It has been mentioned already, but le me reiterate: go to a gun store w a range. (Super nice people who have a genuine love of the products they sell.) They will rent you hand guns. Try a few out.

I was planning on a 1911, but the sig320 was just to nice once I got my hands on it.
Rent an AR-15 if you get a chance! Holy hell they are fun!!!

4n6tox

Poster
A better question is what ammo can you get? I just paid 1$ per round for some trash Israeli 9mm FMJ. It's bad out there.

Last edited:

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
stribog-with-brace.jpg

I've wanted to pick up a Stribog for a truck gun but ammo prices are so insane I don't think I could affor to feed it. It comes in .40 and 9mm. Comes with 3 30 round mags and the folding stock is removable.

STRIBOG_US_GO_Left__76833.1556127383.jpg

When the cartels are roaming free this would be a good liddle spray and pray choice at a road block ala the Mormons in Mexico thing.

I'd kinda feel like Neo in the Matrix.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I hope everyone in this thread remembers these times and in a few years, when hopefully prices are back to something reasonable, stocks the fuck up on every caliber they could possibly ever need. I stocked up pretty well over the last few years, remembering the previous shortage, but not as well as I should have.

If I could go back in time a year, I'd buy so much more. This shortage is just unreal. Wish I had another few thousand 9mm, .380 and .223, not to mention another 5k small pistol primers and .38 and other bullets.

ncin29

Poster
Founder
People that keep saying rent before buying in this market......you clearly haven't been to the range lately. Just buy 3 or 4 of them on sale and test them out that way at this point. If you feel like dropping $200/300 on renting go for it.

That and if your friends don't have a gun you can borrow then please rethink why you are getting a gun.

While renting to shoot is ideal, this isn't the 90's.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
this is adumb Q but i can just buy this online?

(after trying out some and then shopping online for best deal_)
usually just ship to a ffl dealer. Find a store near you and get their info and have them ship it to that store.

Boxman4

Elite
Founder
People that keep saying rent before buying in this market......you clearly haven't been to the range lately. Just buy 3 or 4 of them on sale and test them out that way at this point. If you feel like dropping $200/300 on renting go for it.

That and if your friends don't have a gun you can borrow then please rethink why you are getting a gun.

My range charges $20 for first rental. The bigger issue is that a lot of these ranges don’t have ammo you can buy when you rent.

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder

Not sure what your local range charges, but mine charges $20 to rent up to three guns of two different calibers. You do need to buy their ammo, but still not nearly as much as you think.

ncin29

Poster
Founder
Not sure what your local range charges, but mine charges $20 to rent up to three guns of two different calibers. You do need to buy their ammo, but still not nearly as much as you think.

I need a new range

Boxman4

Elite
Founder
I went to a local sporting goods store (Dunham’s) last Monday morning (the day the truck comes in). Got there at 6:30am and put my name on a list. They opened at 9am and gave us a number as we walked in. The first list I signed is done by the patrons for your place in line. I was #2 that day. The put the ammo on the counter by caliber. They call your number and you get one box and go back to your spot. Once they got thru the line (85 people), if there was any more they started at the top. Long story short - I got 2 boxes of 9mm and 2 boxes of 5.56. Didn’t get out of there until 11am.
I figure that is what a Soviet bread line must be like. Crazy.

Skinnyman

Poster
Walther Arms but good luck finding any.
@Dickheat my Pops suprised me years back with the Walther PPK 9mm (maybe PPQ, but the one that is discontinued), and that IMO is the best pistol I own out of a FN-509 and Sig P250s. He got me and my bro one each for Christmas on year and that is a fine fvckin firearm. My old man has dementia unfortunately now sadly, so he doesn’t have the answer, but I think he may have gotten each one for about 300 bucks. Great fvckin pistols though. Sadly of course a boating accident claimed both of them in the Cooper River here in CHSSC.

ncin29

Poster
Founder
.......is 14,000 rounds of .223 for $9,450 a good deal?

There is a catch....it's reloads but ☝️ it's all Winchester brass and it's two Army guys doing the reloading.

Cat_Incognito

Elite
Founder
Used glock for $500 worth it?
@Duzen Canik Tp9 looks good.

Should I spring for the Hellcat sub for $700 that can hold accessories considering concealment?
I personally wouldn't buy a used firearm unless I knew the person selling it and trusted them.

Never owned a Canik but they look sweet.

I've heard great things about the Hellcat. I still think the P365 is the best bang for the buck.

Dickheat

Poster
@Dickheat my Pops suprised me years back with the Walther PPK 9mm (maybe PPQ, but the one that is discontinued), and that IMO is the best pistol I own out of a FN-509 and Sig P250s. He got me and my bro one each for Christmas on year and that is a fine fvckin firearm. My old man has dementia unfortunately now sadly, so he doesn’t have the answer, but I think he may have gotten each one for about 300 bucks. Great fvckin pistols though. Sadly of course a boating accident claimed both of them in the Cooper River here in CHSSC.
Sorry to hear about your pops and brother. My dad died of dementia in April. Awful disease, sounds like your family has been through some tough times.

PPQ is what you are thinking about though the prices are up. WA pistols are top notch, but sooo hard to find in stock, like all good 9mms in this post constitutional world. I have a PPQ M2 9mm Navy SD 4.6" Black Poly with the threaded barrel.

Buds is where to buy them, set up an alert for when they are in stock. This one is rated as the top handgun by many experts, you dont have to spend this much though ($600), as their less pricey models are all badass.

Last edited:

Dickheat

Poster
stribog-with-brace.jpg

I've wanted to pick up a Stribog for a truck gun but ammo prices are so insane I don't think I could affor to feed it. It comes in .40 and 9mm. Comes with 3 30 round mags and the folding stock is removable.

STRIBOG_US_GO_Left__76833.1556127383.jpg

When the cartels are roaming free this would be a good liddle spray and pray choice at a road block ala the Mormons in Mexico thing.

I'd kinda feel like Neo in the Matrix.

Daniels Defense DDM4 PDW is the only answer if you are going to buy a truck gun, or a gun for home defense. The best gun I have, and likely ever will own, hands down.

1612853965794.png

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
.......is 14,000 rounds of .223 for $9,450 a good deal?

There is a catch....it's reloads but ☝️ it's all Winchester brass and it's two Army guys doing the reloading.

I do not think that is a good deal. The price is not terrible, but looking at ammoseek you can buy new .223 for close to the same price. My main beef is that I would not buy reloaded ammo from some random guy. I will use my own reloads, or a trusted friend or two, or a company like Freedom Munitions, but not just some guy. A bad reload can be very dangerous.

ncin29

Poster
Founder
I do not think that is a good deal. The price is not terrible, but looking at ammoseek you can buy new .223 for close to the same price. My main beef is that I would not buy reloaded ammo from some random guy. I will use my own reloads, or a trusted friend or two, or a company like Freedom Munitions, but not just some guy. A bad reload can be very dangerous.

I'll check ammoseek out. I guess there is more info I can provide. The guy typically sales the reloads to other gun dealers who then sell it at gun shows. My brother welds on guns part time and the owner mentioned that this guy just raised him reload prices from .38 a round to .67. I have around 4k rounds already but apparently the guys buying from them have been charging $20 for 20 rounds. I keep up with 9mm and .40 ammo prices more.

spf84

Poster
I bought a Taurus G3 back in July as my first gun, it was pretty inexpensive snd it shoots great.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I'll check ammoseek out. I guess there is more info I can provide. The guy typically sales the reloads to other gun dealers who then sell it at gun shows. My brother welds on guns part time and the owner mentioned that this guy just raised him reload prices from .38 a round to .67. I have around 4k rounds already but apparently the guys buying from them have been charging $20 for 20 rounds. I keep up with 9mm and .40 ammo prices more.

I hear you. At .38/rd that would be a great price. .67 seems only a slight savings, if any, over new if you are patient. I am rolling the dice that this too shall pass. I'm going to try to ride it out with my stockpile, and hope in a year or 2 prices are more reasonable.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

I was just typing to let you know TargetSportsUSA had .223 in stock. 1000rds, remington I think, for $700 and change. There were 8 in stock, they were gone before I could type this...point being, be patient and keep looking & you can find what you need.

Rusty Student

2023 Fantasy Baseball 🏆
Founder
Does anyone have thoughts on a CZ-75 SP-01 vs. the blue CZ Shadow II? Is spending the extra money worth it?

Top Bottom