Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Best novel / series you've read...

VolsMadness

Poster
Founder
If you like fantasy/magic then these are some good ones. Warded man series, WoT series, the kingkiller chronicle, the night angel trilogy, chronicle of the unhewn throne series.

Going to be starting the malazan book of the fallen series soon

edit: I somehow forgot Brandon Sanderson. Anything Brandon Sanderson is great. Mistborn series is a must read as well as the storm light archive, though it isn’t finished

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
Pillars of the Earth is very well done and up there with the best I've read.

I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes is a great page turner that will get your attention.
I am Pilgrim is a phenomenal book. Nonstop action. One of the best thrillers I’ve read.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
For those who like sci-fi, I highly recommend the Galaxy’s Edge series. It’s very well written, and there are multiple spin off books that are also excellent. It’s what Star Wars should have/could have been.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
I have tried to read Dune at least 3 separate times in my life and can’t make it. Is it really worth the trouble? When does that shit get good?

Dawg97

Poster
Founder
I'm generally a fantasy reader (all of the stuff listed itt), but loved Unbroken.

Roadblock19

Poster
Founder

Cowboy1stn10

Elite
If you liked Mountain Man, you’d like the Arisen series by Michael Fuchs. Also the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot series by W J Lundy and The Remaining by D J Molles. All are about zombies/end of the world. Well written and edge of your seat stuff.
You should give Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series a shot if you liked the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot books. It has a little bit of everything, first book is Zombie related. I think there are 10 longer books with some random short stories available. First book is called Patient Zero, it's on audible if you prefer audio books. The guy who reads the series does a pretty good job.

Sikness23245

Elite
The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson is phenomenal.

Red Rising series by Pierce Brown also is amazing.

How did we make it to the end of the first page before Sanderson is mentioned and it's not even Stormlight Archives.

Is the new book bad?

BTAvenger

Elite
How did we make it to the end of the first page before Sanderson is mentioned and it's not even Stormlight Archives.

Is the new book bad?
I haven’t read the new Stormlight book yet. I’ve really liked it to this point but I just liked Mistborn even more.

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
I love the Doc Ford novels. Living in South Florida helps since it takes place down here. But they are really good. Easy reads and very entertaining spy thrillers.

I used to hang out on Randy's porch when he lived on Bokeelia. He liked to drink beer and keep an eye on the water when he wasn't writing.

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
Anathem by Neal Stephenson is still one of my favorite novels. He kind of turned into a long-winded jerkoff, and this particular work is no exception, but it is so creative I couldn't put it down. First 400 pages were tough to get through but the last 900 flew right by.

fliptide

Elite
Founder
Odd Thomas (Dean Koontz)
Been a long time but Oliver North had a series of books that I enjoyed. Don't recall much about them other than I enjoyed them (its been awhile)

Wait What

Elite
Founder
I have tried to read Dune at least 3 separate times in my life and can’t make it. Is it really worth the trouble? When does that shit get good?
The second novel starts slow as it sets the stage for its ending as well as the third novel which is fantastic. I’ve read that the first three novels were originally outlined to be a single book, but when Herbert started fleshing out his initial outline and writing Dune, he realized that there was no way he could fit it all in one book.

CurtOFD78

Elite
I have read the first 3 of 4 (4th one is not out yet) of Jack Carr's series consisting of 1) The Terminal List 2) True Believer and 3) Savage Son. It's about a former Navy Seal named James Reece who gets fucked over by the US government (big stretch, I know), survives, and proceeds to FUCK SHIT UP. Jack Carr is a former Seal and has been on Rogan a bunch of times. He is a very talented writer and singlehandedly got me back into reading that was not for school or work. If you like the military type books and reading, I would suggest all of his books. You can see "trailers" for his books on YouTube. Also, Amazon Prime is going to have a series about Reece starring Chris Pratt.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
I’m pretty lame in that my answer would probably be Lord of the Rings, but it’s the GOAT in my mind.

Started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett this week. It was strongly recommended

Read Pillars and watched the series. It had a great cast including Ian McShane. Thought the show was very entertaining.

txag79

Poster
Founder
Thanks for all of the recommendations. This thread cost me over $100 this morning (y)

Top Bottom