Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wheel of Time

Okay, so who here has read the Wheel of Time? It is my favorite book series and I recently discovered they are making an amazon series based on these books. I'm pretty friggin pumped. I'm hoping Amazon doesn't screw the pooch with it, as the story is ripe for a good adaptation. I'll link a trailer below so you can check it out, whether you've read the books or not. Let me know what you think.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Looks interesting. I'll ck it out. When does it come out any idea?

Overwatch

Poster
Founder
Damn that's a hell of a statement. I'll have to check it out

Robert Jordan has a very descriptive writing style and while that paints a beautiful and rich world, some people find it somewhat tedious (I am not one of those people). It is an excellent fantasy series.

“The series draws on numerous elements of both European and Asian mythology, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhismand Hinduism, the metaphysical concepts of balance and duality, and a respect for nature found in Taoism. Additionally, its creation story has similarities to the Abrahamic religions' "Creator" (Light) and Shai'tan, "The Dark One" (Shaitan is an Arabic word that, in Islamic contexts, is used as a name for the Devil or the Satan). It was also partly inspired by Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace (1869).”

Overwatch

Poster
Founder
Yessssss. I knew there had to have been someone else on here.

What are your thoughts on the show? Excited? Worried?

Cautiously optimistic. As long as the don’t go woke with it too much I think it’ll be pretty solid. Plenty of great source material to work from, all they have to do is not cock it up.

And Rosamund Pike as Moiraine might be the most perfectly cast woman character of all time.

Robert Jordan has a very descriptive writing style and while that paints a beautiful and rich world, some people find it somewhat tedious (I am not one of those people). It is an excellent fantasy series.
There is a guy I used to work with who was even more obsessed with the series than I am. He said he thinks that it takes a technical mind to enjoy the Wheel of Time. I have tried to convince friends of mine to read it, with varying success, and looking at those who did and did not enjoy it, I think I can agree that a more technical mind tends to enjoy of the vast level of detail that Jordan goes into.

Cautiously optimistic. As long as the don’t go woke with it too much I think it’ll be pretty solid. Plenty of great source material to work from, all they have to do is not cock it up.

And Rosamund Pike as Moiraine might be the most perfectly cast woman character of all time.
That's my take as well. I'm fine with adaptations taking liberties with the source material. It's necessary to take liberties when adapting something from written form to visual, after all. However, I hope that they keep the heart and core meaning of the story and it doesn't get lost in the weeds. And as you said, I hope they don't let the woke ideology sway the story into some ridiculous territory.

As for casting, I'm also pretty dang pleased with who they cast as Rand and Lan. For the rest, it remains to be seen.

Overwatch

Poster
Founder
There is a guy I used to work with who was even more obsessed with the series than I am. He said he thinks that it takes a technical mind to enjoy the Wheel of Time. I have tried to convince friends of mine to read it, with varying success, and looking at those who did and did not enjoy it, I think I can agree that a more technical mind tends to enjoy of the vast level of detail that Jordan goes into.

Makes sense. Jordan was a nuclear engineer before he became a full-time writer.

And here is an awesome history and mythology breakdown that is very careful not to spoil anything from the series itself. Because why not.... I've already spammed this thread with WOT content. I'll just keep it coming.

Top Bottom