Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Band of Brothers question

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
It was too close to the invasion. The Col even said that if it wasn't for that he'd bust all of them out.
No shit I get that. He still kicks one out of the regiment and busts one NCO to PVT.

Why only those two? They’re not some of the main actors but so much context is missing.

CuriousFiend

Elite
OP must not know what morale and unit cohesion are.
Nah,...🤔...perhaps OP was simply curious what others think.

It is a performance loosely based around an officially accepted historical narrative×dramatization innit(?)

All we see are hollyweird actors performing what are in fact & in reality just liberally embellished-wholly fabricated characters based off of an early 90's book—which itself was merely based on an officially accepted narrative.

Ain't like the public are ever fully informed of the fucked shit that goes on anyway, we're fed a consumable narrative by the asswipes up top.

Unless you, or me, or mr OP were present first hand,... there's simply no way to truly know others motivators, intentions, thoughts, feelings & all that.

Maybe a lot of it is accurate, maybe you are exactly right, but we do know things like the erroneous date of Hitlers "death" stated in,...🤔 I think ep9 or 10, and there weren't no Jagdpanthers used as part of the German forces counterattack-(*ep3)-at the Battle of Carentan.
Coz sheit, according to the evidence from all sides, them badboys didn't roll up til later in the Battle of Normandy.
The closest ones were in the German 654th.

Ya know what I mean? Like, what else simply ain't accurate...

...we're just piecing together a story in our minds from a performance interpreted through our own individual experiential lenses.

😎Plus, Imo the Col. Sink character portrays a very intelligent individual who seems highly aware of everything going on in general.

He clearly knows there's a major looming invasion, Easy's got a decent enough instructor who's also slimy af & who's practical incompetency is inevitably going to create blowback on everyone at some point if Col. Sink doesn't act pragmatically.

Col. Sink does mention something along these lines in one scene. But still, if not for the urgency of shit going down at the time—😬yeah bo, firesquad aye.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
Good thing or the series would have made no sense
It’s just one of those snippets missing information that if you served makes you go hmmm.

Like why did this dude get kicked out of the regiment? Why did this one get busted to PVT? All the other NCO’s kept their stripes. What did these two do differently.

CuriousFiend

Elite
It’s just one of those snippets missing information that if you served makes you go hmmm.

Like why did this dude get kicked out of the regiment? Why did this one get busted to PVT? All the other NCO’s kept their stripes. What did these two do differently.

Yeah, reckon you're right that there's missing info.

It's openly admitted that the series was - "a true story"/"historically accurate"-"lifted from the non-fiction book by Stephen Ambrose"—which was further altered specifically for mass entertainment purposes. Essentially propaganda.

Ep7-The Breaking Point: At the Battle of Foy they portrayed L.T. Dike as a panicky coward and general douche who supposedly lost his shit which led to Major Winters unleasing Speirs.

This portrayal of Dike & what occurred is quite different according to eye witnesses.

Some claim Dike took a bullet to the shoulder from which point he was unable to effectively lead—so they got bogged down until Speirs rolled on through.

The series also portrays at least 1 death that definitely didn't happen.
Can't recall the guys name but he had just managed to get his game face on before being shot through the neck-according to HBO = "dead".
😄Irl he didn't die, he survived the war.

Ya'll recall this scene(?):

•Guarnere: "Sobell's a son of Abraham."

•Liebgott: "He's what?"

•Guarnere: "He's a Jew."

•Liebgott: (gets up from his cot and stands about an inch from Guarnere) "I'm a Jew."

•Guarnere: Congratulations. Get your nose outta my face.

(Liebgott was a Roman Catholic)

"Ronald Speirs was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1920."

"His family moved to the U.S. when he was four years old."

"He grew up in Boston, Massachusetts."

"After attending military school and receiving his commission as 2nd lieutenant, he volunteered for the airborne and became a platoon leader in Dog Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division."

IMG_20230930_060357.jpg
"After shipping off to Britain in 1943, he met and married a woman from Aldbourne."

"She had a son from him who joined the British armed forces later."

IMG_20230930_060408.jpg
"She divorced him after the war, feeling unable to separate from her family and move to America."

"Nevertheless, Speirs continued to care deeply for her and criticized the book Band of Brothers and the HBO miniseries for the false depiction of his first wife (for instance, she was not a widow, etc.)."

"Speirs married five times in his life."

"His last marriage started in 1987 at the age of 67."

IMG_20230930_060416.jpg
"Due to the inaccuracies in the book and the series, Speirs said, "someone should have verified the facts with me before printing."
IMG_20230930_060424.jpg
"As a result, he never gave any interviews in relation to the book and the series."

"In the miniseries, Speirs was played by actor Matthew Settle and, despite the inaccuracies, became one of the fan favorites."

IMG_20230930_060350.jpg

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder

It's openly admitted that the series was - "a true story"/"historically accurate"-"lifted from the non-fiction book by Stephen Ambrose"—which was further altered specifically for mass entertainment purposes. Essentially propaganda.

Ep7-The Breaking Point: At the Battle of Foy they portrayed L.T. Dike as a panicky coward and general douche who supposedly lost his shit which led to Major Winters unleasing Speirs.

This portrayal of Dike & what occurred is quite different according to eye witnesses.

Some claim Dike took a bullet to the shoulder from which point he was unable to effectively lead—so they got bogged down until Speirs rolled on through.

Can't recall the guys name but he had just managed to get his game face on before being shot through the neck-according to HBO = "dead".

•Liebgott: (gets up from his cot and stands about an inch from Guarnere) "I'm a Jew."

"After attending military school and receiving his commission as 2nd lieutenant, he volunteered for the airborne and became a platoon leader in Dog Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division."

View attachment 200996
"After shipping off to Britain in 1943, he met and married a woman from Aldbourne."

View attachment 200997
"She divorced him after the war, feeling unable to separate from her family and move to America."

"Nevertheless, Speirs continued to care deeply for her and criticized the book Band of Brothers and the HBO miniseries for the false depiction of his first wife (for instance, she was not a widow, etc.)."

View attachment 200998
"Due to the inaccuracies in the book and the series, Speirs said, "someone should have verified the facts with me before printing."
View attachment 200999
"As a result, he never gave any interviews in relation to the book and the series."

"In the miniseries, Speirs was played by actor Matthew Settle and, despite the inaccuracies, became one of the fan favorites."

View attachment 201000

I believe you are thinking of Pvt. Blithe. You are correct. They got his story line completely wrong. He survived and even served in Korea.
Another one was Leibgot. He wasn’t Jewish. I read nearly all the books written by members of the company. All with different takes like you mentioned. All very good though.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder

View attachment 200996

View attachment 200997

View attachment 200998
View attachment 200999

View attachment 201000
Bad ass write up!

CuriousFiend

Elite
I believe you are thinking of Pvt. Blithe. You are correct. They got his story line completely wrong. He survived and even served in Korea.
Another one was Leibgot. He wasn’t Jewish. I read nearly all the books written by members of the company. All with different takes like you mentioned. All very good though.
You're absolutely right it was Pvt. Blithe too.
Frankly this degree to which HBO basically disgarded accounts of his life—likely just to max out dramatization—is disgraceful.

Admittedly the series is actually pretty good in as far as tv programming goes, but I bet the books you've read are far superior.

I dunno what ya'llz opinion might be on something I thought seems suspicious: the particular timing of the series US broadcasts,...(*🤔I think)-the 1st episode aired on the 9th Sept 01. Tying in almost perfectly with the beat of the war drums. But I dunno, just a thought.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
You're absolutely right it was Pvt. Blithe too.
Frankly this degree to which HBO basically disgarded accounts of his life—likely just to max out dramatization—is disgraceful.

Admittedly the series is actually pretty good in as far as tv programming goes, but I bet the books you've read are far superior.

I dunno what ya'llz opinion might be on something I thought seems suspicious: the particular timing of the series US broadcasts,...(*🤔I think)-the 1st episode aired on the 9th Sept 01. Tying in almost perfectly with the beat of the war drums. But I dunno, just a thought.

Both the Pacific and BoB have landed in Netflix which is very odd to me. BoB is my favorite miniseries despite all it’s inaccuravices.

CuriousFiend

Elite
Both the Pacific and BoB have landed in Netflix which is very odd to me. BoB is my favorite miniseries despite all it’s inaccuravices.
Man I've noticed something similar since earlier this week too.
(*not on Netflix though)

YouTube, Telegram, Bitchute & others have been showing BoB clips regularly.

You'll definitely know the scene where Luz trolls Sobells with that bloody hilarious impersonation of Major Horton. That particular scene seems to pop up everyday at least once.
Ain't complaining though, coz BoB has long been one of my favourites too. The influence was so powerful that me & my younger brother at 14yo & 13yo respectively in 01 immediately joined the NZ Army Cadet Forces(lol).

oh, almost forgot, apparently there was supposedly talk of a potential 2nd BoB series recently but I think it's now been canned.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
(*not on Netflix though)

You'll definitely know the scene where Luz trolls Sobells with that bloody hilarious impersonation of Major Horton. That particular scene seems to pop up everyday at least once.
Ain't complaining though, coz BoB has long been one of my favourites too. The influence was so powerful that me & my younger brother at 14yo & 13yo respectively in 01 immediately joined the NZ Army Cadet Forces(lol).

oh, almost forgot, apparently there was supposedly talk of a potential 2nd BoB series recently but I think it's now been canned.

Also heard that they are filming a similar series around the Mighty 8th Air Force. Looking forward to that for sure.

Episode one of Curahee why was one NCO transferred out of regiment, one busted to private and others spared???
Besides the reasons given in the show.....

Leadership is tricky, especially in the military. Col. Sink had to simultaneously:

1.) Show the officers under him that he had their back
2.) Show officers that bad officers are noticed
3.) Show the enlisted, he has their back
4.) Show enlisted that he would not tolerate bad officers
5.) Not show his boss anything bad that happened under his command

all while planning for the largest invasion in human history.

Why did he do what he did? Because it was the best thing for the Army, his officers, his soldiers, and his career.

my 2 cents.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder

Leadership is tricky, especially in the military. Col. Sink had to simultaneously:

Why did he do what he did? Because it was the best thing for the Army, his officers, his soldiers, and his career.

my 2 cents.

That doesn’t answer not one single question whatsoever and can be placed in the category of no shit Sherlock.

That doesn’t answer not one single question whatsoever and can be placed in the category of no shit Sherlock.
Episode one of Curahee why was one NCO transferred out of regiment, one busted to private and others spared???
I see one question here cocksucker. Wow i find a great question on this stupid forum, take the time to answer your post. Thanks, and fuck you again

CuriousFiend

Elite

Leadership is tricky, esthpecially in the military. Col. Sink had to simultaneously:

my 2 cents.
. . . . . . ...🤔..102 words for 2¢?

How about 1¢ NZ/word?

Maybe a short article or two describing military experiences.

Yes, you are correct....
....I am indeed not joking.
IMG_20231005_174057.jpg
We have upgraded with Articles
Management System.

The Showcase system.

A forum Wiki.

And a whole bunch of other fancy shit for authoring, presenting, publishing, promoting, monetizing, trading, etc any of our own original literature on any subject.

Shit I even increased the measly standard character limit from 10,000 >>> 2mil.

Screenshot_2023-10-05-18-48-30-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2023-10-05-18-52-48-77_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
[It probably looks better on a computer]

. . . . . . ...🤔..102 words for 2¢?

How about 1¢ NZ/word?

Maybe a short article or two describing military experiences.

Yes, you are correct....
....I am indeed not joking.
View attachment 202079
We have upgraded with Articles
Management System.

The Showcase system.

A forum Wiki.

And a whole bunch of other fancy shit for authoring, presenting, publishing, promoting, monetizing, trading, etc any of our own original literature on any subject.

Shit I even increased the measly standard character limit from 10,000 >>> 2mil.

View attachment 202076View attachment 202077
[It probably looks better on a computer]
Any experience I may or may not have is irrelevant to someone who is a cocksucker. (the OP)

Last edited:

CurtOFD78

Elite
I’ve been watching this amazing series for the umpteenth time on Netflix the past few weeks. The episode (9 I believe) “Why We Fight” always makes me feel like I’m slicing up onions, but there are no onions ;). The detail that went into the scenes when they are discovering the camp and trying to figure out what to do are some of the most powerful scenes of the series. Years ago, a young paramedic named CurtOFD78 treated and transported an old lady that had a serial number on her wrist. I am glad that at that age (between 29-30) that I knew what it was. She noticed that I had seen it and our eyes met in a strange moment of understanding (don’t get weird on me guys) and I put my hand on hers to try to tell her that I knew what that meant (she did not speak a lick of English, I think she was Polish). I have never forgotten the look on her face when she looked up at me after I saw it, and that was over 20 years ago. I have a strong feeling that my experience 20+ years ago is why that episode resonates some much with me.

Oler Ted

Elite

(*not on Netflix though)

Good catch boys. Kinda makes sense why it is being pushed now…

Latest posts

Top Bottom