Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

200 year anniversary of the death of Napoleon,...

preshlock

Poster
surprised I really haven't seen much about this anywhere. But on this day 200 years ago Napoleon died in exile on the remote island of St. Helena. Few armies in history were able to accomplish so much against such enormous odds as the French Army under Napoleon. But in the end a series of coalition alliances against France by the other major European powers brought the French Emperor and his army to complete defeat. Napoleon is best remembered for his historic military achievements and is near universally regarded as one of the greatest tacticians in all of history. However his social, political, and economic reforms had long lasting impacts that are still felt in many parts of the world today. It is interesting to think what may have happened had Napoleon not marched his army into Russia in 1812.

preshlock

Poster
You got more details on Napoleon @preshlock ?

I am pretty dumb on him other than the very basic notoriety

mostly military but Napoleon's personnel life is pretty interesting. His rise in the French Army during the Revolutionary period is very fascinating as well. But most of my knowledge is after he cemented himself as the military dictator of France in 1804.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
mostly military but Napoleon's personnel life is pretty interesting. His rise in the French Army during the Revolutionary period is very fascinating as well. But most of my knowledge is after he cemented himself as the military dictator of France in 1804.
So what kind of strategies and tactics and techniques did Napoleon employee that led to him being considered such a military genius

preshlock

Poster

yeah, especially when you factor in the odds he was often against. It would be nearly impossible to put him outside the top five.*

*obivoulsy talking about thousands of years with countless different armies and commanders so it isn't really possible to compare all of them. But I would be really interested to see a well informed scholar's list that doesn't have Napoleon at or near the very top.

BigBucnNole

Elite

Greatest commander in the greatest period of warfare.

I do like the posited theory that Alexander the Great could’ve done as well or even outright win Waterloo with his army.

preshlock

Poster
@preshlock what social, political, & economic reforms did he institute?
I was speaking broadly about the Napoleonic Code which was very significant in France, the Low Countries, Italy, and Germany. Other parts of Europe as well. Also, for example, even in the United States because of Louisiana.

But mainly because of his military success the influence of the French Revolution were spread directly through much of Europe.

Top Bottom