Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Master Thread UnPinned: Russian invasion has begun

Master Threads

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Russia has been watching how to conduct a surgical strike war since 1990. They were able to test out their new weapons in Syria. So much so the USAF was calling it the Syria Test and Training Range. They read our books and our doctrine and so far are executing it very well. First we are going to cut them off, then we are going to kill them.......

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Seems to me like Russia surgically took over all the major cities and completely crippled Ukraines military. Haven’t been any reports of total destruction and casualties that I’ve seen.

It makes sense that Russia does not want to destroy the country. They asked the Ukrainian soldiers to lay down their arms and I haven’t seen anything about a counter attack.

Now it comes down to: does Ukraine counter attack? Does NATO get involved? Putin made his move and so we wait and see how the world responds.

I’m so sick of hearing about sanctions. It’s clear that Russia doesn’t give a shit about sanctions.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
its being reported as a Russian fighter jet...you can see the parachute. Supposing its the 5th Russian jet shot down in the last 2 hours

I don't have a source you're gonna have to trust me this lol
Maybe Ukraines air defense is still in place. Of course it makes sense that it couldn’t have been disabled across the entire country duh

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Ruskies claimed they knocked out the Ukrainian air defense, but if they are losing fighters that’s clearly not the case

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Maybe Ukraines air defense is still in place. Of course it makes sense that it couldn’t have been disabled across the entire country duh
Would think that as soon as a Target Tracking Radar comes up it would get taken out. Maybe the SEAD isn't as good as we think, or the SAM operators are as good as we thought they were.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Years of Western reluctance to help Ukrainemodernize its Soviet-era air defenses have left the country dramatically vulnerable to a massive Russian bombing and missile campaign that could devastate Ukrainian forces before they ever see a hostile tank or soldier.

A confluence of concerns — fear of provoking Russia, worries the technology could fall into Russian hands, doubts Ukraine could operate the systems — prevented the U.S. and its allies from granting Ukrainian requests for sophisticated surface-to-air missiles in the years after Russia seized Crimea in 2014, current and former American officials and defense experts told NBC News.

Those calculations seemed reasonable at the time, yet they all but ensured Ukraine would be largely defenseless against what experts say would be an overwhelming display of air power should Russia mount a full-scale invasion. American officials are scrambling to find ways to help Ukrainian forces preserve themselves, but there are few good options.

“We certainly all missed an opportunity,” said Philip Breedlove, a retired four-star Air Force general who was supreme allied commander of NATO during the 2014 Russian aggression, and was involved in the ensuing debate over how much aid to give Ukraine. “The West, NATO and all of the individual nations involved missed an opportunity. I think we’re looking at it in retrospect now and thinking maybe we should have made a different decision.”

Retired Adm. James Stavridis, who preceded Breedlove as NATO's supreme allied commander and is now an NBC News national security contributor, agreed.

“I think air defense would have been a very smart move,” he said. “If we had put more out there sooner, we would not be where we are now.”

As it stands, Russia is likely to begin any full-scale invasion with a lethal and largely unchallenged assault by bombers, ballistic missiles and artillery, said Dmitri Alperovitch, co-founder of the Silverado Policy Accelerator, a Washington, D.C., think tank.

“The shock and awe campaign they can launch with those resources against entrenched Ukrainian forces before the main ground invasion begins will be truly devastating," he said. “The Ukrainian military has no answer for these weapons.”

Decisions by American presidents of both parties set the stage. President Barack Obama declined to provide any lethal aid after Crimea fell in 2014, rejecting the recommendations of his most senior national security officials. President Donald Trump signed off on the provision of Javelin anti-tank missiles only after delaying the aid package in an act that led to his impeachment. He didn’t provide air defense.

The Biden administration has been accused of being slow to act as well. By the time U.S. intelligence agencies concluded six months ago that Russia was planning for a possible invasion, there wasn’t enough time to train the Ukrainians to operate sophisticated air defenses such as Patriot missiles, Stavridis said.

“Over the last six months we were kind of at a dead sprint to put the right tools in their hands, but it was kind of too late,” Stavridis said. “There was just no time.”

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
how much longer do we have until the US steps into conflict?
We better stay out of it in my opinion. But as soon as a NATO member is touched, Article 5 is invoked and it’s war. Romania would be the most likely to be hit.

You know as much as anyone though that this entire ordeal has been orchestrated and arranged behind closed doors. Hopefully it doesn’t take mass death to line their pockets

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Years of Western reluctance to help Ukrainemodernize its Soviet-era air defenses have left the country dramatically vulnerable to a massive Russian bombing and missile campaign that could devastate Ukrainian forces before they ever see a hostile tank or soldier.

A confluence of concerns — fear of provoking Russia, worries the technology could fall into Russian hands, doubts Ukraine could operate the systems — prevented the U.S. and its allies from granting Ukrainian requests for sophisticated surface-to-air missiles in the years after Russia seized Crimea in 2014, current and former American officials and defense experts told NBC News.

Those calculations seemed reasonable at the time, yet they all but ensured Ukraine would be largely defenseless against what experts say would be an overwhelming display of air power should Russia mount a full-scale invasion. American officials are scrambling to find ways to help Ukrainian forces preserve themselves, but there are few good options.

“We certainly all missed an opportunity,” said Philip Breedlove, a retired four-star Air Force general who was supreme allied commander of NATO during the 2014 Russian aggression, and was involved in the ensuing debate over how much aid to give Ukraine. “The West, NATO and all of the individual nations involved missed an opportunity. I think we’re looking at it in retrospect now and thinking maybe we should have made a different decision.”

Retired Adm. James Stavridis, who preceded Breedlove as NATO's supreme allied commander and is now an NBC News national security contributor, agreed.

“I think air defense would have been a very smart move,” he said. “If we had put more out there sooner, we would not be where we are now.”

As it stands, Russia is likely to begin any full-scale invasion with a lethal and largely unchallenged assault by bombers, ballistic missiles and artillery, said Dmitri Alperovitch, co-founder of the Silverado Policy Accelerator, a Washington, D.C., think tank.

“The shock and awe campaign they can launch with those resources against entrenched Ukrainian forces before the main ground invasion begins will be truly devastating," he said. “The Ukrainian military has no answer for these weapons.”

Decisions by American presidents of both parties set the stage. President Barack Obama declined to provide any lethal aid after Crimea fell in 2014, rejecting the recommendations of his most senior national security officials. President Donald Trump signed off on the provision of Javelin anti-tank missiles only after delaying the aid package in an act that led to his impeachment. He didn’t provide air defense.

The Biden administration has been accused of being slow to act as well. By the time U.S. intelligence agencies concluded six months ago that Russia was planning for a possible invasion, there wasn’t enough time to train the Ukrainians to operate sophisticated air defenses such as Patriot missiles, Stavridis said.

“Over the last six months we were kind of at a dead sprint to put the right tools in their hands, but it was kind of too late,” Stavridis said. “There was just no time.”
This.

Also

I’m already kinda bored with the hole thing. Both sides have Ben unimpressive sew far.

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder
Seems to me like Russia surgically took over all the major cities and completely crippled Ukraines military. Haven’t been any reports of total destruction and casualties that I’ve seen.

It makes sense that Russia does not want to destroy the country. They asked the Ukrainian soldiers to lay down their arms and I haven’t seen anything about a counter attack.

Now it comes down to: does Ukraine counter attack? Does NATO get involved? Putin made his move and so we wait and see how the world responds.

I’m so sick of hearing about sanctions. It’s clear that Russia doesn’t give a shit about sanctions.
Russia has lived under sanctions for decades, they know how to handle it. The true cost will hit Europe and here

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
So in conclusion, it seems like the Russian strikes have been precision strikes and they aren't just blowing everything up. Took out air defense, airports and navy.

Things seem somewhat calm right now

Reports of russia attacking moldova could really ratchet tensions to a new level because it will be direct attacks on NATO backed countries and would likely draw Romania in the conflict. Then dominos continue to fall

Now I rest
You better not live anywhere near a military installation or a govt building it looks like. Thank God Ukraine doesn't park rocket launchers in residential neighborhoods.

Top Bottom