Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRAINS!

Goldhedge

Legendary
He loves trains. Flew to Seattle to buy the rail and hauled it back in a Hertz truck. Then built the rail line. He also had an old Canadian RR work car (like below) that he'd ride on railroad lines on weekends. I rode with him in his work car on a New Year's Eve night ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad.

iu
How long was that track?

Goldhedge

Legendary

WHOAH! THREE PEOPLE BARELY ESCAPE BEFORE TRAIN SMASHES CAR STUCK ON TRACKS​

Three people are seen in footage from Monday making a harrowing escape from a car stuck on some tracks before a train barrels through and demolishes the car they just fled from in Forney, Texas. Forney Police reported no one was injured in the accident.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
My brother and parents rode the Trans Canadian Railroad from Vancouver to Toronto. Along the way a truck tried crossing the track and was struck by the train. Killed the driver. They had to sit in the train at the scene for 4-5 hours during the investigation.

Goldhedge

Legendary

This is why you don't railfan close to the tracks! Roadrailer trailer dragging a side rail​

Goldhedge

Legendary
My brother and parents rode the Trans Canadian Railroad from Vancouver to Toronto. Along the way a truck tried crossing the track and was struck by the train. Killed the driver. They had to sit in the train at the scene for 4-5 hours during the investigation.
Back in '71 I was attending school at SIU (Southern Illinois University) there was the Illinois Central railway going right through campus.

If I recall the dorms were on the other side of the tracks? Some guy tried to make it across before the train. There was no cross walk, just the field "shortcut" to the dorms.

Train 1
Student 0

They since installed a pedestrian bridge over the tracks.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Back in '71 I was attending school at SIU (Southern Illinois University) there was the Illinois Central railway going right through campus.

If I recall the dorms were on the other side of the tracks? Some guy tried to make it across before the train. There was no cross walk, just the field "shortcut" to the dorms.

Train 1
Student 0

They since installed a pedestrian bridge over the tracks.
When I served on the Grand Jury, the police stopped some dude for crossing a train track between blocks. He also had a large bag of coke on him. Busted for jaywalking a train track. I knew it was unsafe but not against the law. I learned a lot about the law those 3 months. Also learned every low cost motel got a visit from the police in the wee hours of the AM almost nightly. Caught a lot of criminals and stolen cars.

Joe King

Elite
When I served on the Grand Jury, the police stopped some dude for crossing a train track between blocks. He also had a large bag of coke on him. Busted for jaywalking a train track. I knew it was unsafe but not against the law.
It's called trespassing. Try not to do it. At least where posted. Anyplace else and ya can feign ignorance and still be able to leave without cuffs on.

I learned a lot about the law those 3 months. Also learned every low cost motel got a visit from the police in the wee hours of the AM almost nightly. Caught a lot of criminals and stolen cars.
If ya wanna catch criminals, best to go to where they frequent.

Goldhedge

Legendary
Fascinating history of iron ore ship building and transport on the Great Lakes.

Including rail cars and engines used to move the ore to the smelters.

The Weirdest Boats on the Great Lakes​

Cleveland's Forgotten Hulett Unloaders​

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

WHOAH! THREE PEOPLE BARELY ESCAPE BEFORE TRAIN SMASHES CAR STUCK ON TRACKS​

Three people are seen in footage from Monday making a harrowing escape from a car stuck on some tracks before a train barrels through and demolishes the car they just fled from in Forney, Texas. Forney Police reported no one was injured in the accident.
Is your name Sheldon?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

Goldhedge

Legendary
Steam is a lost art...

600 Horsepower Snow Gas Engine startup (Coolspring, June 2022)​

Here is a 1917, 600 Horsepower Snow gas compressing engine running at the Coolspring Engine and Tractor show. This engine was manufactured by the Snow-Holly Works in Buffalo, NY.

The rated output of the engine is 600 HP at 100 RPM, which yields a torque value of 31,500 ft-lbf. The natural gas compressing cylinder at the front of the engine was also manufactured by Snow and features an 18 inch bore and a 48 inch stroke. The compressor accepted gas at approximately 50 psi and raised it to 450 psi.

Upon peak compression, the gas in the cylinder exerted a force of about 114,300 pounds on the piston. The engine is 75 feet long with a 18 ton, 18 ft diameter flywheel.

The overall weight of the engine is estimated to be about 140 tons! The engine was owned and operated by National Fuel Gas Corporation of Titusville, PA and was donated in 1992.

Goldhedge

Legendary

ABC Diesel Engine Startup Tugboat 5500 Horsepower​

A startup video with some info about the starting procedure.

Goldhedge

Legendary

4014 Big Boy Train starting - steam locomotive​

bigboy - the 4014 train Finally restored since 1941

Goldhedge

Legendary

Kempton Park Big Triple Steam Engine Starting​

The Kempton Park Steam Engines (also known as the Kempton Great Engines) are two large triple-expansion steam engines, dating from 1926--1929, at the Kempton Park waterworks, Middlesex, London. The were manufactured by Worthington-Simpson. Each engine is of a similar size to that used in RMS Titanic and rated at about 1008 hp. They each pumped 19 million gallons of water a day, to supply north London with drinking water taken from the River Thames. These are the largest triple expansion engines still running in the world!

They were the last working survivors when they were finally retired from service in 1980. Here is one of the engineers engaging the barring engine, into the fly wheel in order to line the pistons of the main engine in the correct position for the admission of steam, to start. A truly remarkable sight, showing the years of dedicated restoration work to get the engine running again. Well worth a visit, check their web site for live steaming weekends.

Goldhedge

Legendary

Restoring a 4-6-2 Pacific in 35 Minutes! - Soo Line 2719​

The 2719 was originally built for the Soo Line Railroad in 1923 as an ALCO H-23 class 4-6-2 Pacific type steam locomotive. The steamer was used by the Soo Line in passenger train service until its retirement in 1959. In 1960, the Soo Line then donated the 2719 to the city of Eau Claire, Wisconsin where it proudly sat on display in Carson Park. In 1996 the Locomotive & Tower Preservation Fund took on the task of rebuilding this beautiful locomotive to operating condition. This video covers the fascinating stages of the two year restoration that brought this steam locomotive back to life.

The full 92 minute program highlights include:
• Film footage of the last runs in 1959
• The move to Carson Park in 1960 via Soo Line & Milwaukee Road
• Wintertime removal from Carson Park in 1996
• Highway transport from Eau Claire, WI to Altoona, WI
• C&NW operational roundhouse and turntable!
• Various stages of rebuilding in the Altoona Roundhouse
• Operating turntable scenes with Soo 2719 & the Soo 1003
• TWO operating steam locomotives in a roundhouse! WOW!
• 2719 test firing and test runs at the Altoona yard
• Ferry trip over the UPRR and Wisconsin Central RR to Osceola, WI
• Additional break-in runs on the Osceola and St. Croix Valley Railway

Goldhedge

Legendary

15 LARGEST Steam Powered Vehicles​

Throughout modern human history, scientists and engineers have been creating powerful steam engines to fullfill many purples. Join us for today's video as we countdown the top 15 largest steam-powered vehicles ever made!

Goldhedge

Legendary
If you appreciate bygone days of steam engines and train whistles this video is for you!

Some fantastic video shots and history here.

The Largest Steam Locomotive on Earth!​

Follow Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 and the 844 on a special double-header between Cheyenne, Wyoming and Ogden, Utah. The event coincided with Union Pacific's Spike 150 Celebration commemorating the driving of the golden spike at Promontory Summit, Utah in 1869. This is the 4014's first excursion run after being restored to operating condition. Scenes along Sherman Hill and the Wasatch Mountains show Big Boy working over the mountain grades it was originally designed for. This is an excerpt from "Return of the Big Boy" available on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital Download.

Goldhedge

Legendary

Steam Locomotive Controls [4K]​

•A video guide that walks through and describes the functions of the various controls in the cab of Denver and Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) steam locomotive #491. Big thanks to Mike Spera for heading the restoration on this wonderful piece of American history.

•The locomotive seen in the video is Denver and Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) mikado (2-8-2) #491, one of the largest narrow gauge locomotives ever created. It now runs at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Colorado. It has ~37,100 pounds of tractive effort, and weighs ~150 tons or ~302,000 pounds. It was built in 1928 by the D&RGW Burnham shops in Denver, Colorado using the boiler off of a standard gauge D&RGW 2-8-0. #491 is a pristine example of a locomotive perfectly suited for rugged, mountain climbing work.

•Thanks to Erik Lindgren (@ColoradoRailPhotographer) for the great still images used in this video. •Copyright 2017 Jeff Berrier All Rights Reserved

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
I grew up a block from the Chicago and Northwestern RR.

CNWPCTD.jpg

Trains get in your blood. I can hear them coming from 40 miles away. That low diesel generator rumble travels long distances at night.
My dad was an overnight telegraph operator for Illinois Central(Tuscola) while in High School in the Mid/Late forties.

Mostly dull work which allowed him to do homework.

One of the more interesting stories he relayed...From time to time, he would get a crate of Pigeon's from Chicago and instructions on what time and date to release the birds. At said time and date he would let them out and they flew back North. They were homing pigeons that had colored bands and on their legs. You could bet on them like horses. (win, place, trifecta etc.) It was run by the mob he presumed.

He was a train buff til the end.

I slang shit at you right away in this thread (maybe multiple times) and you didn’t bat an eye. I can respect that.

Where/when/why did you get hooked on trains? Maybe you already said in this thread, I dunno.

Goldhedge

Legendary
I slang shit at you right away in this thread (maybe multiple times) and you didn’t bat an eye. I can respect that.

Where/when/why did you get hooked on trains? Maybe you already said in this thread, I dunno.
I grew up a block from Chicago & NorthWestern as a kid... I can hear the low rumble of a diesel at night from 40 miles away.

Know a guy who rebuilt a Stanley Steamer 7 passenger touring car in his living room.

Looked just like this but green:

571e8c5f3850c0ae4a1dcdc00e07931b--carpet-cleaners-antique-cars.jpg

He's an old soul in a young body, well this was 40 years ago now. He'd find brass gauges to Model T's at the junkyard that even the junkyard didn't know what they were for! Same for steamer engines.

B. I like trains and steam engines are even neater!

found one! Even had the wooden spokes!

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 4.45.31 PM.png

Last edited:

Joe King

Elite

The Great Train Race - Steamfest 2023​

That was kinda cool, but it seemed as though two of the trains (the green one and the one with the weird front end) switched places at some point after the start of the race.
At the start, the green one was on track 2, but then all of a sudden is on track 4?
....and which one won the race? Saw the start flag, but no checkered flag at the end?

I grew up a block from Chicago & NorthWestern as a kid... I can hear the low rumble of a diesel at night from 40 miles away.

Know a guy who rebuilt a Stanley Steamer 7 passenger touring car in his living room.

Looked just like this but green:

571e8c5f3850c0ae4a1dcdc00e07931b--carpet-cleaners-antique-cars.jpg

He's an old soul in a young body, well this was 40 years ago now. He'd find brass gauges to Model T's at the junkyard that even the junkyard didn't know what they were for! Same for steamer engines.

B. I like trains and steam engines are even neater!

found one! Even had the wooden spokes!

View attachment 182074
How the fuck do you build that in your living room??!!

And kudos to that guy if he was married. He knew who was in charge in that house.

Top Bottom