Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

*** Top Gun 2 “Maverick” *** thread

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Everytime I see this thread i sing the first two line of highway to the danger zone in my head

Teddy Jack

Elite
There was a guy on rivals main board claiming inside info on this movie a year or two ago. He claimed it was going to be great. Had lots of inside knowledge to my recollection but I can’t remember who it was. Anyone else remember that guy?

He was fucking right. This movie was such a great movie. Cannot even express how good it was.

Teddy Jack

Elite
Not yet. A promise is a promise. I really can’t wait to fully discuss it. This thread might end up being 200 pages long haha.
Wait….shit….was that this board? Did I really just shit the bed thinking you were from TMB? Maybe you did post on TMB. But dude, if you’re the one im thinking of, you owned the fuck out of this. Holy shit my man. This movie rocked it so hard. Damn. Im still kind of speechless over it.

TJHall1

Legendary
@TJHall1 just laughed at my folly. Hahaha. I’m laughing too. Hey, the mix between TMB and here was a little crazy. And I just went back to read some of the cluster fuck this thread was! 😂
My laughing had nothing to do with your folly or the main board. I'm laughing because you're jizzing over this movie that was good at best. Terrible fucking ending tho.

TJHall1

Legendary
Nooooooo!!!! No no no sir. I’ll meet you at a Wachovia right now. 😂😂😂
I especially liked the part where they took off on a runway at the end that was full of craters. It deemed the enemy unable to take off, but tom cruise had superior swerving capability in that f14 to dodge the potholes, cracks and craters.

I also enjoyed the part where they teleported/hiked many miles thru the mountains in what seemed like a matter of minutes to just happen upon a random f14 waiting for them.

Excellent writing there

Last edited:

Teddy Jack

Elite
I especially liked the part where they took off on a runway at the end that was full of craters. It deemed the enemy unable to take off, but tom cruise had superior swerving capability in that f14 to dodge the potholes, cracks and craters.

I also enjoyed the part where they teleported/hiked many miles thru the mountains in what seemed like a matter of minutes to just happen upon a random f14 waiting for them.

Excellent writing there
I agree. Excellent writing. Maverick is an excellent pilot able to accomplish great things such as 1) advanced take off maneuvers as well as 2) being trained in & execution of the latest survival techniques of moving through enemy territory extremely quickly. He’s maverick. He’s not gonna be happy unless he’s going Mach 2 with his hair on fire.

TJHall1

Legendary
I agree. Excellent writing. Maverick is an excellent pilot able to accomplish great things such as 1) advanced take off maneuvers as well as 2) being trained in & execution of the latest survival techniques of moving through enemy territory extremely quickly. He’s maverick. He’s not gonna be happy unless he’s going Mach 2 with his hair on fire.
I also liked the plot to keep the best fighter pilot in the world from flying in the mission. Excellent thought process there.

Mahozzle

Elite
Founder
But they did trust a bunch of youngins who've never shot down an enemy plane before and couldn't make the run in the allotted time during training?

Ahhh yes, makes total sense now.
You should consider a career move.

Cinematic Non-fiction adjuster … you make movies real so that people know that what ever happened on the screen is totally real no matter how lame that might come across on the big screen.

TJHall1

Legendary
You should consider a career move.

Cinematic Non-fiction adjuster … you make movies real so that people know that what ever happened on the screen is totally real no matter how lame that might come across on the big screen.
I don't need to do that. Non-retarded people can already tell and aren't impressed with a story line so fake it should be a cartoon.

BTAvenger

Elite
My younger son and I re-watched the original on Monday. We went and saw the new one in the theater last night and both thought it was fucking awesome. My wife is on a business trip and is pissed at me from 1500 miles away because I saw the movie without her. I’ll be happy to go see it again when she gets home.

HunterPKP

Poster
Founder
Haven't been on here in a few weeks. Movie is awesome and all the pilot interviews, etc agree with that. Even an old fraternity brother of mine that flew F/A 18s in the Marines gushed over the movie. Suspend disbelief and you'll enjoy it even more. Even with a battle ready F14 ready to fly. And I still loved that part because it was got damn entertaining.

Back to @AgEngDawg. Some things I wanted to respond to. Has the F35 had problems? You'regoddamnright.gif. Is it meant to be an Air Superiority Fighter? Not at all. It's meant to be an airborne CINC system to unify multiple platforms/weapons systems. It can direct fire from Aegis missile cruisers, other fighters, etc to hit multiple targets at once, etc. That's it's main mission. Still, can it dog fight? 7-8 years ago when it was losing to F16s? No. Once they gave it the most powerful fighter engine in the world? That changed. Still, that's not it's mission.

The image below is widely considered accurate for S400 capabilities. With Russia/Ukraine conflict, our military thinks this is actually best case for it. That being said, if F35s are in the air, every known S400 in the area is dead. In simulated war games, one F35 was able to interdict 8 enemy radar and SAM targets due to its CINC capabilities simultaneously. That deadly effective and exactly what it was built to do. Still, some of your criticisms are fair.

Geoff05.png

My fellow Clemson posters from TI all know who our resident expert is on fighters. He flew F15s for 20 years and was once the lead commander of the Air Force version of Top Gun. He and 3 other wingmen were the first to go up against the F22 in war games. He will argue with anyone about how great it is and said they got their asses kicked going 4 against 2 and lost vast majority of dog fights against. The F15 is 104-0 historically in air to air combat. Has even said in another post that 16 F15s are no match for 4 F22s when using F22s true capabilities. They would kill all F15s before they knew where the F22s were.

Now think about how much we've learned about Russian SUs in UKR. They'd at best be even against our F15, F16 and F/A 18s. They'd get decimated against our F22s. The UKR pilots have said publicly that they want our F15s cause nothing the Russians have can handle it from their current experiences fighting them.

Mahozzle

Elite
Founder
The F22 is the second greatest flying machine ever built… the fact that the F35 was ever built and we stopped building F22’s will go down as one of the greatest mysteries of American military history.

And by mysteries, I mean pissing contest money power grab.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
Finally saw it. Don't get the hype. Good movie, definitely not great. Way, way too much bullshit between Maverick & Goose's son. Entertaining, though.
In defense.....it seems overhyped bc Hollywood hasn't put out a decent movie since 80-90's. And there is nostalgia for the older generation. I have watched it more than 10 time B/c there really isn't anything worth a shit out.

Understand, that the situation between the US Navy \ AirForce and Russian fighters in the movie is accurate. We do not have the same amount of 5th generation fighters as does Russia and China. The F-35 project really came around because the F-22 was very dangerous to fly. Some pilots in fact refused to fly them, due to many concerns, IE the F-15ex project.

Mahozzle

Elite
Founder
Understand, that the situation between the US Navy \ AirForce and Russian fighters in the movie is accurate. We do not have the same amount of 5th generation fighters as does Russia and China. The F-35 project really came around because the F-22 was very dangerous to fly. Some pilots in fact refused to fly them, due to many concerns, IE the F-15ex project.
Coo coo for Cocoa Puffs here.

OrangenBlue98

Elite
Founder
Ok, I knew a fighter pilot that told me that very thing about the F-22. Pilots would pass out in the F-22 while flying level.
Um Russia has like only 4 SU-57 5 gens. 2 or 3 of which are prototype / test planes. They are not really stealth either. Their engine setup would give off a rather large radar signal.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
There was a guy on rivals main board claiming inside info on this movie a year or two ago. He claimed it was going to be great. Had lots of inside knowledge to my recollection but I can’t remember who it was. Anyone else remember that guy?

He was fucking right. This movie was such a great movie. Cannot even express how good it was.
I have been through so many surgeries. Had no idea you posted this. Cool.

Yep, that was me and you deserve a Christmas present.

DM your address.

Last edited:

AbeFroman

Founder
Loved the movie. Must watch in the theater when you get a chance!!

Couple things about the F-14 I wanted to throw my two cents in. It was an Interceptor and it’s bread and butter was BVR or Beyond Visual Range because of the radar and Phoenix missile. This is where it wins but that missile with its range was always intended for Soviet Bombers not fighters.

To paint a picture, when the crew gets Radar returns on an aircraft the symbology of the Contact will display on the screen depending on what range it’s set to. To fire the Phoenix the RIO locks up targets in priority 1-4 in TWS or track while Scan mode. This mode is the only radar method to engage multiple targets simultaneously.

Let’s say the fired 4 Phoenix missiles on 4 TU-22 bombers inbound to attack the carrier. The Phoenix missiles would fly a flight profile that maximizes its energy. To do this they climb into less dense air to reduce drag while at the same time have altitude to trade for airspeed when on final phase of the attack. Kinda like a upward to downward curve.

The F-14s radar is steering the missile for about 80-90% of its flight time. At terminal or final phase the missile will go what is called “Pitbull” and will take over its own radar lock on target.

So Pros and Cons to this.

Pros
1. Ability to engage multiple targets at distance.
2. TWS mode uses host Aircraft radar for guidance until Pitbull which also means that the enemy aircraft will not get a launch warning only lock warning until the missile takes over its own lock. That’s when enemy pilots RWR or Radar Warning Receiver would go ballistic.
3. TWS also allows better breakup of number of aircraft threats you have if flying in tight formation.

Cons
1. Because of how TWS mode functions, it it much easier to lose Radar return on targets if their aspect changes. (Altitude, Heading). Once you lose lock and you fired the Phoenix, it will automatically go Pitbull and start heading to the Bandit early which means it’s bleeding energy early and may not have enough power to manuever against a defending aircraft.

2. Because of number 1, this is why the Phoenix was intended for larger slower targets like bombers. Doesn’t mean it can’t hit a fighter, but a pilot in a Mig-29 or SU-27 can out manuever if they are smart with their energy management.

The other radar guided missile the F-14 as well as other aircraft carried was the Sparrow or Aim-7. It didn’t have the range of a Phoenix and it required you to be in RWS or Range While Scan mode. This meant only one bandit at a time. Because of this, it required good weaponeering by its pilot to maximize the Pki or Probability of Kill. Keeping a higher Airspeed, aspect on bandit and distance were all crucial for pilot to decide when to fire.

If you are head to head at say 30nm and bandit launches on you as well, you’re gonna have to go defensive which means you lose radar lock and just wasted your Sparrow.

Sparrow Aim-7 and AMRAAM Aim-120 are similar in this except the AMRAAM can use it’s own seeker at “PITBULL “ so it can function in any radar mode.
Obligatory username checks out

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Loved the movie. Must watch in the theater when you get a chance!!

Couple things about the F-14 I wanted to throw my two cents in. It was an Interceptor and it’s bread and butter was BVR or Beyond Visual Range because of the radar and Phoenix missile. This is where it wins but that missile with its range was always intended for Soviet Bombers not fighters.

To paint a picture, when the crew gets Radar returns on an aircraft the symbology of the Contact will display on the screen depending on what range it’s set to. To fire the Phoenix the RIO locks up targets in priority 1-4 in TWS or track while Scan mode. This mode is the only radar method to engage multiple targets simultaneously.

Let’s say the fired 4 Phoenix missiles on 4 TU-22 bombers inbound to attack the carrier. The Phoenix missiles would fly a flight profile that maximizes its energy. To do this they climb into less dense air to reduce drag while at the same time have altitude to trade for airspeed when on final phase of the attack. Kinda like a upward to downward curve.

The F-14s radar is steering the missile for about 80-90% of its flight time. At terminal or final phase the missile will go what is called “Pitbull” and will take over its own radar lock on target.

So Pros and Cons to this.

Pros
1. Ability to engage multiple targets at distance.
2. TWS mode uses host Aircraft radar for guidance until Pitbull which also means that the enemy aircraft will not get a launch warning only lock warning until the missile takes over its own lock. That’s when enemy pilots RWR or Radar Warning Receiver would go ballistic.
3. TWS also allows better breakup of number of aircraft threats you have if flying in tight formation.

Cons
1. Because of how TWS mode functions, it it much easier to lose Radar return on targets if their aspect changes. (Altitude, Heading). Once you lose lock and you fired the Phoenix, it will automatically go Pitbull and start heading to the Bandit early which means it’s bleeding energy early and may not have enough power to manuever against a defending aircraft.

2. Because of number 1, this is why the Phoenix was intended for larger slower targets like bombers. Doesn’t mean it can’t hit a fighter, but a pilot in a Mig-29 or SU-27 can out manuever if they are smart with their energy management.

The other radar guided missile the F-14 as well as other aircraft carried was the Sparrow or Aim-7. It didn’t have the range of a Phoenix and it required you to be in RWS or Range While Scan mode. This meant only one bandit at a time. Because of this, it required good weaponeering by its pilot to maximize the Pki or Probability of Kill. Keeping a higher Airspeed, aspect on bandit and distance were all crucial for pilot to decide when to fire.

If you are head to head at say 30nm and bandit launches on you as well, you’re gonna have to go defensive which means you lose radar lock and just wasted your Sparrow.

Sparrow Aim-7 and AMRAAM Aim-120 are similar in this except the AMRAAM can use it’s own seeker at “PITBULL “ so it can function in any radar mode.
Don’t know how I missed this before, but I love this post. You are speaking my language here!

Top Bottom