Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tips/references for dog training?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I need some help house training this three month old maniac dog. She’s so sweet and loving but damn she will not stop shitting in the hall

For your troubles:
1627592548206.jpeg

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Stick her nose it it swat and say no. Take em outside.
You really gotta praise em and give em a goodie exactly when they are done shitting outside. Get on it fast or you will resnt the pooch

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Stick her nose it it swat and say no. Take em outside.
You really gotta praise em and give em a goodie exactly when they are done shitting outside. Get on it fast or you will resnt the pooch
I already love this dog to death and feel like I make progress with her, but when I’m not home she reverts back…

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I already love this dog to death and feel like I make progress with her, but when I’m not home she reverts back…
Yeah ya still gotta do it. I'm not saying beat her w a club. Just show disapproval and make it undeniable that it is the shitting in the house.
Took me almost a yr to train my old dog in my avatar. But she was ferrel when I got her

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Crate training is where it is at, need to make sure the crate is small enough it won't just shit in the corner. Take it outside all the time for bathroom especially right before you go to bed put dog in crate then take it out immediately after letting it out to show him to use the bathroom outside.

Took about two weeks to house train my current dog, now I do not lock her in it during the day but she will hold it from 7am to 12am if I have to work late. Now she has a dog door so she doesn't have to wait till I get home anymore.

Dogs are Den based animals so a Crate is in their nature they just need to get used to it.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Have never had good luck with this method
Never had another way work.
Most importantly is walking the dog early in the morning for 30 min and watching it shit, praising it and giving it love and a treat. Negative consequences for inside

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Yeah ya still gotta do it. I'm not saying beat her w a club. Just show disapproval and make it undeniable that it is the shitting in the house.
Took me almost a yr to train my old dog in my avatar. But she was ferrel when I got her

Crate training is where it is at, need to make sure the crate is small enough it won't just shit in the corner. Take it outside all the time for bathroom especially right before you go to bed put dog in crate then take it out immediately after letting it out to show him to use the bathroom outside.

Took about two weeks to house train my current dog, now I do not lock her in it during the day but she will hold it from 7am to 12am if I have to work late. Now she has a dog door so she doesn't have to wait till I get home anymore.

Dogs are Den based animals so a Crate is in their nature they just need to get used to it.

Thanks guys

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Never had another way work.
Most importantly is walking the dog early in the morning for 30 min and watching it shit, praising it and giving it love and a treat. Negative consequences for inside
Telling ya I will never not crate train another dog, easiest process I've ever done.... Plus my dog is a good dog

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Telling ya I will never not crate train another dog, easiest process I've ever done.... Plus my dog is a good dog
My dog is good too. I never had to swat him. My dog that died in a house fire was completely wild. That bitch took work. She destroyed 4 couches and tvs. I cannot even list all the shit. I've never been a fan of crating my animals. I know it works just not my style I suppose

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
My dog is good too. I never had to swat him. My dog that died in a house fire was completely wild. That bitch took work. She destroyed 4 couches and tvs. I cannot even list all the shit. I've never been a fan of crating my animals. I know it works just not my style I suppose
Yeah people think of it like a human being caged or in jail but with Dogs they are Den based animals and basically like their house. It's about security and smells. That's their place but you need to make sure to feed them in the crate.

I haven't actually shut the cage door in 10 years but she still sits in there cause that's her crib

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Yeah people think of it like a human being caged or in jail but with Dogs they are Den based animals and basically like their house. It's about security and smells. That's their place but you need to make sure to feed them in the crate.

I haven't actually shut the cage door in 10 years but she still sits in there cause that's her crib
Same for my bed for my dog. Been that way my entire life.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Hang a bell on the door and train her to knock it when she has to go to the bathroom. Every time you take her out, make sure she hits the bell with her nose.
We use the bell in our house.

Dogs shit where they feel safe. One of mine still shits with his face as close to the fence as he can get it because he feels like he isn’t getting snuck up on.

@Croot_Overlord the next time she goes to squat make a super abrasive sound, like an air horn app from your phone or something awful, and should break her from wanting to shit there after a couple times of doing it.

It should also distract her enough that you can go grab her and take her out.

If you can’t catch her in the act then gate it off for a couple days with whatever you got and see how her habits change and where she goes instead.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Crate training is key

We are crate training but the damn thing keeps getting diahrea and shitting the crate at night. Hard to get mad at it for that. The first time i think the dog ate some goose shit or something, not sure what she got in to this time.

Crate training helps, but we have a long way to go.

Rusty Student

2023 Fantasy Baseball 🏆
Founder
We are crate training but the damn thing keeps getting diahrea and shitting the crate at night. Hard to get made at it for that. The first time i think the dog ate some goose shit or something, not sure what she got in to this time.

You might want to look into trying a different dog food. I'd check with the vet/pet store to see what other types they recommend. I went thru this a lot with my dog. Sometimes a particular brand/flavor of food doesn't sit well with their stomach. Keep looking if that's the case.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I feel so lucky reading this thread. Girlfriend got a goldendoodle last winter. Peed in the house one time, we caught him doing it & yelled no, popped his butt...he only ever peed inside one other time after that, and never has shit in the house.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
You might want to look into trying a different dog food. I'd check with the vet/pet store to see what other types they recommend. I went thru this a lot with my dog. Sometimes a particular brand/flavor of food doesn't sit well with their stomach. Keep looking if that's the case.

Yeah, she is just a puppy so has only been on one or two foods so far. I don't think that is the problem, but you never know. She as fine for a couple weeks, taking normal dumps and we were making good progress on using the bathroom outside. But then past two nights she has shit in the crate. Going to try and get her stopped up with some pumpkin and rice which worked last time.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I feel so lucky reading this thread. Girlfriend got a goldendoodle last winter. Peed in the house one time, we caught him doing it & yelled no, popped his butt...he only ever peed inside one other time after that, and never has shit in the house.

I hate you. j/k

Our puppy has used the house as its personal toilet since we have gotten it. WE have actually made some progress with crate training the past couple weeks, but damn if it isn't a slow process.

It doesn't help when the 4 kids are all fighting to "take care of it" and give it attention. The thing is probably overwhelmed. Trying to give it some leeway even though it pisses me off.

The thing that kills me the most is that I didn't want a damn dog. The wife insisted on it ... and now she is like "this is too much." ......

America 1st

Founder
I hate you. j/k

Our puppy has used the house as its personal toilet since we have gotten it. WE have actually made some progress with crate training the past couple weeks, but damn if it isn't a slow process.

It doesn't help when the 4 kids are all fighting to "take care of it" and give it attention. The thing is probably overwhelmed. Trying to give it some leeway even though it pisses me off.

The thing that kills me the most is that I didn't want a damn dog. The wife insisted on it ... and now she is like "this is too much." ......
Wife gonna wifey.

America 1st

Founder
We are crate training but the damn thing keeps getting diahrea and shitting the crate at night. Hard to get mad at it for that. The first time i think the dog ate some goose shit or something, not sure what she got in to this time.

Had to go to Hill’s Science Diet sensitive skin because the puppy was having problems with dry skin and scratching.

You get what you pay for in regards to in -> out.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I hate you. j/k

Our other dog never messes up on purpose, but the stupid vet screwed something up when she was fixed, so she has some incontinence issues.☹ She is usually fine, just have to take her out a little bit after she drinks water. Otherwise if she goes to sleep, she will likely pee.

Because we want to make sure she pees when she goes out, & doesn't just sniff around, we always go out with her. She even pees on command, just tell her let's go potty, & she will go...but she is so used to this, like Red from Shawshank Redemption, she won't even go out, much less pee without you going with her. That shit gets old.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Put in a dog door last year and it is life changing, no more standing outside in the cold or heat waiting for her to do her business and she gets more exercise cause she can go bark at the neighbors dog. Definitely recommend them and your dog will appreciate it.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Put in a dog door last year and it is life changing, no more standing outside in the cold or heat waiting for her to do her business and she gets more exercise cause she can go bark at the neighbors dog. Definitely recommend them and your dog will appreciate it.

Good for home defense too.

tenor.gif

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Give it back to whoever you got it from. I only say that as a dude who is days/weeks from putting his 17 year old best friend down. Just saving you the heartache now.
Prays brother, I’ve lost one of the best dogs ever already so I know where your at.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Had to dig up this thread again, I think someone gave a book reference

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
I need some help house training this three month old maniac dog. She’s so sweet and loving but damn she will not stop shitting in the hall

For your troubles:
View attachment 35811
Pay someone to train your dog….
And Pay her to train you! Or @Cre8ive bit he might die….def NO on @JerBearr -I can’t deal with 2 finger painters and it’s inevitable for that guy. Nevermind @Martin is the ONLY option …he will be screaming God Bless the USA! 🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom