Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Thinking about changing jobs; Anyone work in Cyber Security?

Cantuckee

Poster
Founder
Currently I’m a RN, I’ve done 15 years of ICU, CVICU, NTICU, STICU, ED, and acute inpatient dialysis. Currently I’m doing travel gigs since the pay is so high, and just bouncing around. However, that money will eventually dry up in the next 2-3 years and I can’t see that healthcare is headed in a good direction at all

I’m not really interested in pursuing further degrees in the field. CRNA, NP, MBA and admin stuff. I really just don’t think I want to be involved in healthcare anymore.

I’ve been talking to a lot of people, and right now I’m feeling like learning to code some, and obtaining my masters in Cyber Security, Murray State in Kentucky seems to have some decent programs, (where I’m from), and a friend of mine is one of the guys who oversees the cyber security for a huge Health Insurance company. He’s been getting me into some things.

Just curious if anyone here is in the field and has any recs ?

h8rP4uc6yMUfIooM_ZUtaKaRkHccGo5jdb2OZbbrGDU.jpg

Cantuckee

Poster
Founder
Currently I’m a RN, I’ve done 15 years of ICU, CVICU, NTICU, STICU, ED, and acute inpatient dialysis. Currently I’m doing travel gigs since the pay is so high, and just bouncing around. However, that money will eventually dry up in the next 2-3 years and I can’t see that healthcare is headed in a good direction at all

I’m not really interested in pursuing further degrees in the field. CRNA, NP, MBA and admin stuff. I really just don’t think I want to be involved in healthcare anymore.

I’ve been talking to a lot of people, and right now I’m feeling like learning to code some, and obtaining my masters in Cyber Security, Murray State in Kentucky seems to have some decent programs, (where I’m from), and a friend of mine is one of the guys who oversees the cyber security for a huge Health Insurance company. He’s been getting me into some things.

Just curious if anyone here is in the field and has any recs ?

Sandford’s_Finest

Poster
Founder
I’m a developer but don’t know a whole lot about that side of it. The extent of my knowledge with ‘security’ is setting up sFTP file transfer tasks. I say that to say this - if you learn a couple programming languages and how to run queries on databases you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a job in the field. I’ve been doing it about 20 years and as technology has evolved so has my knowledge of languages and platforms. One thing that I’ve found to be true for pretty much any language is that the logic doesn’t change from one to another; only the syntax. I would try a few courses and find one you really like and build from there.

Sorry if that didn’t answer your question well - I know it probably didn’t help at all with the cyber security question.

Lolyoyo6

Poster
If you aren't super into computers and their security - don't do it. Have several friends that were in the field, but left because they hated it.

They're all just regular old IT dudes now and like it way more as they have a wider array of projects to work on. Pigeon hole yourself into things you are passionate about if you go a specific route.

Cantuckee

Poster
Founder
If you aren't super into computers and their security - don't do it. Have several friends that were in the field, but left because they hated it.

They're all just regular old IT dudes now and like it way more as they have a wider array of projects to work on. Pigeon hole yourself into things you are passionate about if you go a specific route.

aside from golf I’m not really passionate about anything and I won’t making the tour anytime soon.

Seems interesting. And can always branch out. I don’t see anything wrong with being well schooled in the devices and systems of the future. Wage growth should be tremendous. Work from home opportunities. Etc...

Better than slaving 60-80 hours a week in high stress environments why people die left and right.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Have a buddy that is in your exact position. He started classes this semester but can’t remember his specific major.

He is the type of guy that builds servers at home for fun. So the career will suit him.

If you could find the right spot to fall, the intersection between medicine and computer tech is only going to grow more lucrative

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Hardest part is getting your foot in the door. I find that job experience and certifications are more important than a masters degree. Once you have two years in the field you can pretty much write your own ticket. Jobs are easy to find and pay is excellent. I went with two associates degrees instead of a BS and got my CCNP (Cisco) and MCP (Microsoft) certs.

Once I found a company to let me in the door my pay has quadrupled since starting with the company I wok with. Where I work it is like a lawyers office, all about billable hours and get afterhours commission when working after 5pm or before 8am. Always something new to learn or a puzzle to solve which is why I love the field (that and the money)

Rusty Strings

Poster
I’m a developer but don’t know a whole lot about that side of it. The extent of my knowledge with ‘security’ is setting up sFTP file transfer tasks. I say that to say this - if you learn a couple programming languages and how to run queries on databases you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a job in the field. I’ve been doing it about 20 years and as technology has evolved so has my knowledge of languages and platforms. One thing that I’ve found to be true for pretty much any language is that the logic doesn’t change from one to another; only the syntax. I would try a few courses and find one you really like and build from there.

Sorry if that didn’t answer your question well - I know it probably didn’t help at all with the cyber security question.
Thank you for not making me hunt you down and berate you for using unsecured FTP.

Top Bottom