Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

There is one over on the other GOAT board. *** Daytona 500 ***

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
99% of people know I’m an F1 guy and refused NASCAR for a very long time, even though I used a fake steering wheel in front of the TV whenever Days of Thunder came on.

What’s the flyover? Who’s singing? And who’s saying the famous line?

GOAT Micheal Jordan is there. GOAT Brady (still drunk) is there. Who waves the flag and all that other shit?

Dr. Zaius

Poster
Founder
e6046258-4e1f-4e8d-9782-9bd219758c18_text_hi.gif

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
I would check Netflix, you can watch the movie Dale and The Dale Earnhardt Story, There’s also a documentary about the 2001 Daytona 500
Oh I remember the day and the race. I just thought it was a normal crash. Just didn’t realize he’d be dead.

Like I was saying over on tMB, I love learning more and more about NASCAR. I think I’ll be on the Chase Elliot bandwagon if that’s even a thing

Lethal34fl2

Poster
Founder
The crash didn’t look that bad, he didn’t want to wear the Hans device and when the news of his passing came we couldn’t believe it because I’ve seen wrecks where there was no car left and the guy walked away from it.
Watch the Ryan Newman wreck from last year.

STL_22

Poster
Can happen just that quick. They’ll all bump each other just like that hundreds of times all day with no problem. Sucks that it happened this early

Lethal34fl2

Poster
Founder
And this rain bullshit is why I rarely get excited for Daytona anymore
We haven’t had rain in weeks and then it rains the last three days LOL, this is why we quit going to the July race because it would always get rained out.

Hb35

Poster
The restrictor tracks are cool to watch, but I don’t think they should count in the points, maybe just a winner bonus. It’s a straight crap shoot and too big a chance of getting slapped with a DNF for no fault of the team.

Hb35

Poster
Just wanted to add that anybody in this thread with even the slightest interest in NASCAR should go drive the car. It’s the greatest. I can straight guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

I did it first with my 2 brother in laws during a family Disney trip (the track is in the parking lot). My one know-it-all BIL was steady saying “there’s no way they can let you drive a race car alone. Too much liability.” Blah blah.

We watched 15 min safety video and fired it up. I think it’s different now, but back then you followed your instructor. you’re supposed to stay 3 lengths behind and follow his groove. He has a green and yellow light in the window to signal you to back off or keep up.

They run it so smartly. I think we had 8 laps. You’re scared as hell for 2, then start thinking a little about what you’re doing for 4 more and by the last 2 you think you’re the new Earnhardt.....then bam. It’s over and you just want more. We hit 115 on the short straight aways. It’s a triangle like pocono just small.

We all liked it so much that a year later the wife signed me up for Talledega one as a present. I ripped 164mph on that sucker. Banking is crazy. Glad I did it but it wasn’t really as cool as the smaller one cause you basically keep the hammer down and just steer like a video game instead of letting off and getting on it. The track guys said “now you have to do Bristol”. I never did get around to it.

Years later my dad wanted to do it, knowing nothing about nascar, just as a bucket list, and we went to Kentucky mile and a half. It was great.

He sucked, said he was scared to get close to wall and couldn’t keep up, but he said “they’re smart.they come to the window and ask immediately do you want to drop the money and go again and I was like hell yeah! But I was too hot. I didn’t know if I could make it again” . he was probably 65 and it late spring. I said what about those guys in here for 250 laps in July and he couldn’t imagine.

Just go do it. You’ll thank me.

Top Bottom