Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Saw a big snapping turtle šŸ¢ today

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Something up with snapper here too. I haven't seen half the snappers the last 5 years i've seen this year. A buddy grabbed a big dude on the road the same day I saw a decent one crossing the road near my house. Had a buddy catch one heading for his pond and my dad's buddy did the same thing with a huge one heading for his pond. And I've heard other people talking about seeing snappers on the road which is really rare here. We get normal turtles on the road but snappers never.

I swear I think all the shutdowns have caused the lakes and rivers to get over fished. I think these turtles are struggling to find fish.

I've got a buddy that fishes every weekend and he has talked about how hard it is to catch keepers now. He used to always get a cooler full but he's lucky to get a few keepers now. He said that during the shutdown the lakes were full 7 days a week the entire summer.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
Common-Snapping-Turtle-1-.jpg

Should also add that our snapping turtles look wayyyyyy differnt than yours Croot.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Common-Snapping-Turtle-1-.jpg

Should also add that our snapping turtles look wayyyyyy differnt than yours Croot.
Yeah looks like you are right. Referencing your other post, there are turtles everywhere here in Huntsville. I feel like I see one every day trying to cross the road

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Iā€™m turning into a regular ole Steve Erwin. New animal every weekend

View attachment 107714
Has a small one of these take a hunk out of my arm when I was 10 y/o +/-.

Neighborhood kid got one from the local creek and brought it home to show his sister. 5-6 of us were on the porch and I was standing next to the turtle holder. He was moving the turtle around and it got too close to my arm and decided I was a food source. Took a hunk out of my arm about the size of a milk dud.

TJHall1

Legendary
Something up with snapper here too. I haven't seen half the snappers the last 5 years i've seen this year. A buddy grabbed a big dude on the road the same day I saw a decent one crossing the road near my house. Had a buddy catch one heading for his pond and my dad's buddy did the same thing with a huge one heading for his pond. And I've heard other people talking about seeing snappers on the road which is really rare here. We get normal turtles on the road but snappers never.

I swear I think all the shutdowns have caused the lakes and rivers to get over fished. I think these turtles are struggling to find fish.

I've got a buddy that fishes every weekend and he has talked about how hard it is to catch keepers now. He used to always get a cooler full but he's lucky to get a few keepers now. He said that during the shutdown the lakes were full 7 days a week the entire summer.
You and your buddies are over thinking it.

Top Bottom