Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Let’s get some dead going.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
I may need some counseling OP. Every dude I meet that likes this shitty music is a cool guy, fun to chill with etc. I just can’t listen to this shit. What’s my problem?

Also Croc shoes and Birkenstock’s are fucking so gay. Gay like soccer....

But most guys who wear that shit are down to earth dudes.

I need my hip hop or 80s love ballads...

please advise

You have to attend a show to really understand, but you could give it a shot by listening to one all the way through. Don’t mess with the studio albums- they don’t at all convey the GD experience.

There’s nothing in the world like a Dead Show- it’s a travesty they are gone. The new iterations of the band are solid enough, but will never compare to the Good Ol Grateful Dead. Really, the closest you can get these days is a Panic show.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
I don't listen to as much Dead as I used to, but the collection of music that band produced in the studio and live are still my favorite. Hard to pin "favorites" on particular songs...too many to count.

It was a challenge for me to get to like them. As a young edgy metalhead, I had no clue about them...but I kept seeing this very American looking band logo that was a skull with a lightning bolt in it. Looked pretty metal to me, had to be cool! Listened to them for maybe 5 minutes and I thought it sucked. No super distorted guitars, no 80s style shredding, no alpha male aggro vocals. Shit was weak to me.

Fast forward a decade where I'd experienced a bit more to life with emotions; had tried drugs....Basically, mind and heart open a bit more. It dawned on me how this band was different.

Instead of overdriven amps, the guitar sound was extremely clean. Almost glass like. Garcia didn't shred, but he searched for the next notes. The emotion in finding that right note for the moment, and the nuance in plucking the string a certain way. It was a different type of power I wasn't used to.

The bass player was at the front of the music too. It wasn't basic bass guitar, it was lead bass playing an entirely different riff/melody than the guitar, yet countering the guitar perfectly. Like th2e two were doing a figure 8 dance around each other.

Two drummers? Poly rhythms that galloped more than chunking along.

It was different and totally unique. Then I discovered they let fans record most of their shows throughout their history, and each show had a completely different set list. The shows were split into two sets & an encore usually, not the one big set with the same greatest hits type deal i was used to.

Perfect combination of newness, that had been under my nose my entire life, for me to go completely bonkers with as a music nerd. For disclosure, im 31 and never got to see them live. But here was this American band with this vast history of playing live all over, a recorded history at that. It could get downright academic for me at times.

Then you just had the ethos of the whole scene, band + fans. The band let the fans record their shows, as long as they didn't sell the tapes (trading allowed). You had this strong core following, upwards of 30k when the band was at its commercial height, that followed the band to each show. Literally, a moving city/economy. And everyone sold goods in the parking lots to sustain themselves and fund their tours. You name it, it was likely there. The band wanted the fans to police themselves, not being fond of making rules for others. Everyone was welcome to the scene, from hippies to business people to bikers. Freedom of choice to do whatever you wanted was the theory, as long as you didn't infringe or hurt anyone else. So drugs were prevalent, but not key in being part of the scene. It was an event, both serious and a party all at once. It was very Anerican to me. Of course, the scene got too big in the late 80s/early 90s and attracted lots of dark elements...so it kind of ate itself and fell apart, along with Jerry's poor health/drug habits/death that meant the end of the band.

But the ethos of the scene lived on, bubbling up around bands like Phish and Widespread Panic in the 90s after Jerry died. The music was cataloged and therefore lived. They changed the music industry from being record based to live show based. Hell, they changed how big concert audio worked in the 70s. All those speakers you see suspended at concerts above the stage that deliver crisp and clear sound? The Dead did it first, whereas bands used to try to play big venues with basically just their stage instrument amps doing all the work.

I love the Grateful Dead. It is American rock and roll gospel to me. They were pioneers in many ways, and at the heart of it....it was about the music, not record deals/money/image/ego.

Yes, it is great music while on psychedelics. But not necessary. Not the point. The point is to go within, while going outward. Searching for your soul, and connecting with others'.

Great thread for morning coffee ☕

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
I don't listen to as much Dead as I used to, but the collection of music that band produced in the studio and live are still my favorite. Hard to pin "favorites" on particular songs...too many to count.

It was a challenge for me to get to like them. As a young edgy metalhead, I had no clue about them...but I kept seeing this very American looking band logo that was a skull with a lightning bolt in it. Looked pretty metal to me, had to be cool! Listened to them for maybe 5 minutes and I thought it sucked. No super distorted guitars, no 80s style shredding, no alpha male aggro vocals. Shit was weak to me.

Fast forward a decade where I'd experienced a bit more to life with emotions; had tried drugs....Basically, mind and heart open a bit more. It dawned on me how this band was different.

Instead of overdriven amps, the guitar sound was extremely clean. Almost glass like. Garcia didn't shred, but he searched for the next notes. The emotion in finding that right note for the moment, and the nuance in plucking the string a certain way. It was a different type of power I wasn't used to.

The bass player was at the front of the music too. It wasn't basic bass guitar, it was lead bass playing an entirely different riff/melody than the guitar, yet countering the guitar perfectly. Like th2e two were doing a figure 8 dance around each other.

Two drummers? Poly rhythms that galloped more than chunking along.

It was different and totally unique. Then I discovered they let fans record most of their shows throughout their history, and each show had a completely different set list. The shows were split into two sets & an encore usually, not the one big set with the same greatest hits type deal i was used to.

Perfect combination of newness, that had been under my nose my entire life, for me to go completely bonkers with as a music nerd. For disclosure, im 31 and never got to see them live. But here was this American band with this vast history of playing live all over, a recorded history at that. It could get downright academic for me at times.

Then you just had the ethos of the whole scene, band + fans. The band let the fans record their shows, as long as they didn't sell the tapes (trading allowed). You had this strong core following, upwards of 30k when the band was at its commercial height, that followed the band to each show. Literally, a moving city/economy. And everyone sold goods in the parking lots to sustain themselves and fund their tours. You name it, it was likely there. The band wanted the fans to police themselves, not being fond of making rules for others. Everyone was welcome to the scene, from hippies to business people to bikers. Freedom of choice to do whatever you wanted was the theory, as long as you didn't infringe or hurt anyone else. So drugs were prevalent, but not key in being part of the scene. It was an event, both serious and a party all at once. It was very Anerican to me. Of course, the scene got too big in the late 80s/early 90s and attracted lots of dark elements...so it kind of ate itself and fell apart, along with Jerry's poor health/drug habits/death that meant the end of the band.

But the ethos of the scene lived on, bubbling up around bands like Phish and Widespread Panic in the 90s after Jerry died. The music was cataloged and therefore lived. They changed the music industry from being record based to live show based. Hell, they changed how big concert audio worked in the 70s. All those speakers you see suspended at concerts above the stage that deliver crisp and clear sound? The Dead did it first, whereas bands used to try to play big venues with basically just their stage instrument amps doing all the work.

I love the Grateful Dead. It is American rock and roll gospel to me. They were pioneers in many ways, and at the heart of it....it was about the music, not record deals/money/image/ego.

Yes, it is great music while on psychedelics. But not necessary. Not the point. The point is to go within, while going outward.

Great thread for morning coffee ☕

One thing to add to this excellent post is that tour stops were 2-3 days, so you could pull into a town and get comfortable and go see all the shows. You weren’t going to hear the same song twice even if you went all 3 days. You would also end up seeing friends that you had no seen in a while (sometimes years).

It’s hard to put it all into words.

Rva

Was in the original thread from day one trophy 🏆
Founder
I’m in my early 40s. Looking back it’s amazing at everyone they influenced and I only wish I could have experienced them as some of you for too.

Icculus

Poster
Amen. I even learn some of Jerry’s leads on that album. Deep elm blues and standing on a corner. Ragged but right is my current favorite.

this guys really good

I’m pretty sure that’s the same video I used to learn it years back.

A little The Other One (my favorite version, love Jerry’s attack) to kick off this cold Saturday. Enjoy!

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
Sucks i was too young to see my heroes alive, including Michael Houser. Probably a good thing though. I would've probably ended up selling tacos out of a van, as my mom always feared
I missed out on seeing Jerry as I was heading into my senior year of high school when he passed and had no exposure to the dead in my small Midwest town.

However I did manage to get convinced to see panic before Mikey died in Carbondale 2000. I was instantly hooked and got to 14 shows over the next year and a half. No telling how many burritos I would’ve slung had that train kept rolling. Still saw plenty of panic shows after that but it was apparent it wasn’t the same band without Mikey and I wasn’t as compelled to hit the road.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
One thing to add to this excellent post is that tour stops were 2-3 days, so you could pull into a town and get comfortable and go see all the shows. You weren’t going to hear the same song twice even if you went all 3 days. You would also end up seeing friends that you had no seen in a while (sometimes years).

It’s hard to put it all into words.

I missed out on seeing Jerry as I was heading into my senior year of high school when he passed and had no exposure to the dead in my small Midwest town.

However I did manage to get convinced to see panic before Mikey died in Carbondale 2000. I was instantly hooked and got to 14 shows over the next year and a half. No telling how many burritos I would’ve slung had that train kept rolling. Still saw plenty of panic shows after that but it was apparent it wasn’t the same band without Mikey and I wasn’t as compelled to hit the road.
Helluva show to pop your Panic cherry

MIZCDB

Elite
Founder
My journey to the Dead was a long one. Like most of you I am a music nerd. My musical obsessions over the years started with the blues when I was in hush school. I ended up being an enormous Allman Bros fan. I am also a huge classic country music fan. Waylon, Willie, Jerry Jeff, TVZ, Guy Clark etc. Over the years I tried hard to get into the Dead. I always knew I SHOULD like them. But for whatever reason it just always missed me.

I’m 42 now. A little over ten years ago I picked up a guitar and started teaching myself to play. I also learned shortly thereafter that the good Lord blessed me with a set of pipes. I started jamming with another guy and we formed a little duo and out of nowhere at age 33-ish I was gigging around town. I went from never playing a note to being a paid musician almost over night. Throughout my journey into becoming a musician I kept going back and trying the dead and it just never happened for me.

Then a little over three years ago my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer. She was a perfectly healthy 67 years old at the time, very active and just the best. As that horrific disease started taking her away from us, I learned so many things. And one of those things I learned was that the Dead finds you at the exact right time.

I know this will make some of you groan, but it was the Dead & Co version of “Brokedown Palace” that got me hooked. I would listen to it over and over again. But that song sent me on my Dead excursion. Suddenly I really HEARD them for the first time. At first I gobbled up all of the Dead & Co stuff I could get my hands on. Then that lead me to the original Dead music and all of the shows. I was consuming new music nonstop. It opened me up as a guitar player and as a singer. I was suddenly obsessed. The different versions of these songs that absolutely infused themselves into my soul. I felt these songs like I had never felt any music before.

In one of those beautiful full circle moments....right before covid hit I was playing a show at a bar in downtown KC, MO and my band mate and I had played a set with some Dead in it. We played our version of Brokedown Palace towards the end. After the set this guy comes up to me with tears in his eyes and he thanked me for playing that song. He said he had just lost his best friend a couple of days before that and that he was a huge Dead fan and that Brokedown Palace was he (his late friend) and his wife’s favorite song. His late friend was very young. He was in his early thirties and had lost his battle with cancer. I lost it right then and there. This stranger and I hugged and I had him tell me all about his friend. I told him about my story with Mom. It was beyond amazing. But it got better...

The next day I got a message on our band’s Facebook messenger asking if we could play the song at his friend’s celebration of life that next weekend. His amazing wife was going to have the song played over the speakers a the church, but he had showed her the footage he took on his phone of us playing the song and she asked him to ask us if we would play it live. I was blown away. I couldn’t say yes fast enough. But then I became terrified. How as I going to pull this off without melting down and losing my shit when the weight of it hits me on stage... I did a lot of praying that week and I played the song over and over and over again until it became a reflex.

The dynamic of my little duo I play in is that I am the lead singer and rhythm player and my partner plays lead (he is excellent) and sings harmony and plays some foot percussion. So the day of, I meet the widow and her two little boys. I am married with two boys and girl, so seeing this just kills me. She was so amazing. She kept thanking us for doing this and she just knows it is going to be amazing and that her husband would love it so much that there was going to be some Dead played live at his celebration of life. So I tell her my story about mom and how Brokedown Palace got me through her fight and ultimately her passing. To say it was an emotional moment hardly does it justice.

So our turn to play the song comes up and we get up there. We decided to play the whole song through and leave his guitar solo until the end. I hold it together the entire time I’m singing. Once he took over on his solo I was transported into this place that I can’t even begin to describe. But I lost it. I’m crying tears of pain and joy at the same time. I honestly don’t know how long that solo lasted, but it was a while. It just felt right. Then we brought it back down and I played the chorus one last time as he dropped out. It was one of the most profound moments of my life.

The music of the Grateful Dead is a living thing. It has transformed me. It has given me so much. It found me when I needed it to and for me through the toughest period of my life thus far. The. It gave me one of the most precious gifts I have ever been given.

Sorry for the novel.

TLDR: Grateful Dead good. Cancer bad.

Last edited:

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
My journey to the Dead was a long one. Like most of you I am a music nerd. My musical obsessions over the years started with the blues when I was in hush school. I ended up being an enormous Allman Bros fan. I am also a huge classic country music fan. Waylon, Willie, Jerry Jeff, TVZ, Guy Clark etc. Over the years I tried hard to get into the Dead. I always knew I SHOULD like them. But for whatever reason it just always missed me.

I’m 42 now. A little over ten years ago I picked up a guitar and started teaching myself to play. I also learned shortly thereafter that the good Lord blessed me with a set of pipes. I started jamming with another guy and we formed a little duo and out of nowhere at age 33-ish I was gigging around town. I went from never playing a note to being a paid musician almost over night. Throughout my journey into becoming a musician I kept going back and trying the dead and it just never happened for me.

Then a little over three years ago my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer. She was a perfectly healthy 67 years old at the time, very active and just the best. As that horrific disease started taking her away from us, I learned so many things. And one of those things I learned was that the Dead finds you at the exact right time.

I know this will make some of you groan, but it was the Dead & Co version of “Brokedown Palace” that got me hooked. I would listen to it over and over again. But that song sent me on my Dead excursion. Suddenly I really HEARD them for the first time. At first I gobbled up all of the Dead & Co stuff I could get my hands on. Then that lead me to the original Dead music and all of the shows. I was consuming new music nonstop. It opened me up as a guitar player and as a singer. I was suddenly obsessed. The different versions of these songs that absolutely infused themselves into my soul. I felt these songs like I had never felt any music before.

In one of those beautiful full circle moments....right before covid hit I was playing a show at a bar in downtown KC, MO and my band mate and I had played a set with some Dead in it. We played our version of Brokedown Palace towards the end. After the set this guy comes up to me with tears in his eyes and he thanked me for playing that song. He said he had just lost his best friend a couple of days before that and that he was a huge Dead fan and that Brokedown Palace was he (his late friend) and his wife’s favorite song. His late friend was very young. He was in his early thirties and had lost his battle with cancer. I lost it right then and there. This stranger and I hugged and I had him tell me all about his friend. I told him about my story with Mom. It was beyond amazing. But it got better...

The next day I got a message on our band’s Facebook messenger asking if we could play the song at his friend’s celebration of life that next weekend. His amazing wife was going to have the song played over the speakers a the church, but he had showed her the footage he took on his phone of us playing the song and she asked him to ask us if we would play it live. I was blown away. I couldn’t say yes fast enough. But then I became terrified. How as I going to pull this off without melting down and losing my shit when the weight of it hits me on stage... I did a lot of praying that week and I played the song over and over and over again until it became a reflex.

The dynamic of my little duo I play in is that I am the lead singer and rhythm player and my partner plays lead (he is excellent) and sings harmony and plays some foot percussion. So the day of, I meet the widow and her two little boys. I am married with two boys and girl, so seeing this just kills me. She was so amazing. She kept thanking us for doing this and she just knows it is going to be amazing and that her husband would love it so much that there was going to be some Dead played live at his celebration of life. So I tell her my story about mom and how Brokedown Palace got me through her fight and ultimately her passing. To say it was an emotional moment hardly does it justice.

So our turn to play the song comes up and we get up there. We decided to play the whole song through and leave his guitar solo until the end. I hold it together the entire time I’m singing. Once he took over on his solo I was transported into this place that I can’t even begin to describe. But I lost it. I’m crying tears of pain and joy at the same time. I honestly don’t know how long that solo lasted, but it was a while. It just felt right. Then we brought it back down and I played the chorus one last time as he dropped out. It was one of the most profound moments of my life.

The music of the Grateful Dead is a living thing. It has transformed me. It has given me so much. It found me when I needed it to and for me through the toughest period of my life thus far. The. It gave me one of the most precious gifts I have ever been given.

Sorry for the novel.

That might be the best post I have ever read on a message board. The Dead does find you. And it happens more frequently than most people know.

Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
I was fortunate to see Jerry Dead six times. Back to back three day runs in 94/95(iirc) in Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas. DMB opened one of the runs and Steve Winwood Traffic the other. Amazing memories. I’ve been to Vegas too many times I want to even admit, but man, Vegas inundated with Deadheads was quite the scene.

Caught my first Panic show by accident in 1994 at a 6th street music festival in Austin. Was actually there to see Soulhat. Wandered down to the other stage on the east side of 6th and happened upon this little band form Athens, GA: Widespread Panic and I’ve been hooked ever since.

Followed Panic all over our great country from 1997-2008ish. Met so many great people and have so many unforgettable memories. Still friends to this day with quite a few of these folks.

Love the commentary on this thread. These scenes were all about the music, camaraderie, positive energy and good people. Like has been mentioned to the poster asking what he is missing in this music, you have to go take in a show or a run with some of your friends who are into the scene. There is no other way to get it.

I still catch a Panic show maybe once a year when they are touring. Don’t do any significant runs, that’s for sure. For me, the band really died with Mikey and it just isn’t the same.

denn

Legendary
Founder
Spring 77 is my favorite Jerry
Love pretty much anything from the late 70's.

UNC71-00 is spot on when he eluded to what the experience is like at a Dead show. It really is too bad that Jerry isn't around anymore. I am just hopeful my memory doesn't phase out the shows I was fortunate enough to see when he was alive. (Giants Stadium, multiple times, in the late 80's, early 90's)

If someone has a good version of Bertha, it would be great if you posted it. : )

Icculus

Poster

UNC71-00 is spot on when he eluded to what the experience is like at a Dead show. It really is too bad that Jerry isn't around anymore. I am just hopeful my memory doesn't phase out the shows I was fortunate enough to see when he was alive. (Giants Stadium, multiple times, in the late 80's, early 90's)

If someone has a good version of Bertha, it would be great if you posted it. : )
Here you go

Icculus

Poster
Who doesn’t love 60s dead? 68-70 are some of my favorite years. The band was so raw and Jerry was still relatively “new” to this whole electric blues thing and finding his way.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Who doesn’t love 60s dead? 68-70 are some of my favorite years. The band was so raw and Jerry was still relatively “new” to this whole electric blues thing and finding his way.

I wish they had kept at a few songs from this era:

Mason’s Children
New Potato Caboose
Alligator
Mountains of the Moon

Icculus

Poster
I wish they had kept at a few songs from this era:

Mason’s Children
New Potato Caboose
Alligator
Mountains of the Moon

I agree! Alligator was a monster and MotM is a favorite of mine.

Blaring 2/11/69 throughout the house while cooking breakfast for the fam this AM. Good thing I married a fellow fan!

Rva

Founder
I agree! Alligator was a monster and MotM is a favorite of mine.

Blaring 2/11/69 throughout the house while cooking breakfast for the fam this AM. Good thing I married a fellow fan!
So only men can line the dead? How sexist!

Rva

Founder
Just calling you sexist for saying you married a husband. I was tying for an anti woke joke, but it sounds so much better is my head.

Edau24

Poster

Sorry for the novel.

Awesome post. Really hits home for me as well as my only post death request will be to have Brokedown Palace played at my service. Amazing that Robert Hunter wrote it, Ripple and To Lay Me Down on the same day while drunk on wine

Edau24

Poster
One of my favorite Dead tunes below. The change halfway through at the 4 minute mark is so awesome, like 2 different songs. Every time I hear the 2nd half of this song, I can picture myself in a canoe floating down that lazy mountain river. Although 2 totally different styles, guitar solos by Garcia and Derek Trucks have some kind of transitive properties to them that always take me to a different place. Very spiritual elements to them.

ETA: I have never even tried pot or done a single drug in my life. So you don't have to be high or tripping to get/enjoy the brilliance that is Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead.

Last edited:

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

Just out of curiosity, were you formerly known as @denniden on DI?

If so, this one is for you. Cameron Indoor 4/12/78. Jerry is having a blast and Donna Jean is on key (meaning they gave her a monitor that night). I’m not sure it’s the best Bertha, but it’s a good one. And if you aren’t Denniden, I still think you will enjoy it.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
I'm in a talking about the Dead kind of mood tonight, so apologies for the next several posts if they end up boring you.

One of the most underrated Dead tunes right here. This is a great video. Has several unusual things going for it including Wall of Sound, 1 drummer, Jerry on slide, Bob with some nice lead, early (pre junkie) K Godchaux, excellent quality (it is from the Grateful Dead Movie). I love this era of the Dead

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
One nice thing about the one drum kit Dead is that it moved around a lot- more changes among who was leading as well as changes to the beat. A great description I read somewhere is that the Billy only Dead is like a Navy Destroyer and Mickey/Billy was like a battleship. It's a pretty good analogy.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
This video also shows a bunch of Weir, so you can see the size of his hands. Obvious joke aside, this enabled him to play some pretty odd chords across 3-4 frets, which leads to interesting songs and jams.

Top Bottom