Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I rescued a baby owl.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Maybe / maybe not. Owls are very smart. Puppy may remember you is some way. Maybe he'll stop by every now and then. Maybe leave him a treat in his old bed to see.

I fed feral kittens one time from the time they were probably 6 weeks old on my back porch. They were tiny and momma ate food I put out. Then they started coming up every day. Eventually they let me pet them while eating. These were wild ass , raised in a shed in the woods feral cats.

Animals can sense things we can't. Like whether or not you are a friendly person.

Puppy will return one day. Just watch.
Why didn't you do your civic duty and shoot them?

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Update for those who thought I was @died. Been on the road for work a lot this week, finally getting to catch up on my crootn and damn if everyone isn’t all panicky around here. 😂

Puppy and brother are still sticking very close by the original nest. Parents have also been seen almost every evening around dusk hunting and teaching the kids the ways of the owl world. The good news is both kids seems to be getting around quite well and can be heard every evening calling to each other.

Interesting note, I have not heard either of the young birds hoot yet. They have a short, shrill cry that is very distinct. I’m wondering when they will develop the ability to give me a traditional great horned call.

As I mentioned, both young birds seem to be getting around well up in the live oak tops. They mostly sit basking in the sun for most of the day and get active at dusk. Unfortunately there aren’t any great pics as they are 50-60ft up, but my wife got this pic of the two siblings together on the same branch.
1D182FD8-35D8-462A-B236-460921F0C65A.jpeg

RHT 3

Elite
Update for those who thought I was @died. Been on the road for work a lot this week, finally getting to catch up on my crootn and damn if everyone isn’t all panicky around here. 😂

Puppy and brother are still sticking very close by the original nest. Parents have also been seen almost every evening around dusk hunting and teaching the kids the ways of the owl world. The good news is both kids seems to be getting around quite well and can be heard every evening calling to each other.

Interesting note, I have not heard either of the young birds hoot yet. They have a short, shrill cry that is very distinct. I’m wondering when they will develop the ability to give me a traditional great horned call.

As I mentioned, both young birds seem to be getting around well up in the live oak tops. They mostly sit basking in the sun for most of the day and get active at dusk. Unfortunately there aren’t any great pics as they are 50-60ft up, but my wife got this pic of the two siblings together on the same branch.
View attachment 10468

You gonna give us old bastards a hint as to where they are or am I gonna just guess all damn day ?

JuliusLeRoy

Elite
Founder
qngxcl.jpg

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Maybe / maybe not. Owls are very smart. Puppy may remember you is some way. Maybe he'll stop by every now and then. Maybe leave him a treat in his old bed to see.

I fed feral kittens one time from the time they were probably 6 weeks old on my back porch. They were tiny and momma ate food I put out. Then they started coming up every day. Eventually they let me pet them while eating. These were wild ass , raised in a shed in the woods feral cats.

Animals can sense things we can't. Like whether or not you are a friendly person.

Puppy will return one day. Just watch.
Is that when he’s allowed to finally put on a Santa hat? Literally all that matters.

1615507799311.gif

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Man what a great saga here. When you put the whole thread in perspective you really did an awesome thing here OP
Thanks man, it was great fun for our whole neighborhood. The best part was to see how the kids and some adults reacted to the owls. Some folks thoroughly enamored by the owls, others scared shitless. Puppy is just one of a long line of critters I’ve helped. I like to think it’s good karma and a good example of generally being a good human being for the kids to follow. I hope I get to do it again since the adults are nesting here annually.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Funny you should ask, @UNC71-00. Ever since puppy left the nest and the Live Oak trees have bloomed, sightings are getting more difficult. We hear the owls more than we see them.

We did have a clean sighting yesterday evening and got to watch puppy make a kill in the Oak tree in our front yard. My wife also spotted the two young owls on the ground in my neighbors yard chasing a bird the previous evening.

Puppy has also taken to her favorite new hobby, shitting all over my driveway. There is a large perch that she likes and it looks like somebody splattered white paint all over the place. Thanks Puppy!

Top Bottom