Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I rescued a baby owl.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
So now they're bound to the ground until they can fly? Here's where the real battle begins.
Once they leave the nest they are on the ground learning to hunt from mama. They have flight feathers, enough to leave the nest and probably have limited flight capabilities, but certainly can’t get back up to the nest.
Last night was really cool, my neighbor and I sat outside watching to see if Puppy would leave the nest to be with the other baby. Both parents were in the tree right above calling and protecting the kids.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
View attachment 8989
What in the world? What is making up the giant peacock like fan over its head? I can see the wings near the ground on both sides, but what the fuck is that giant heart shaped feather blossom? Beautiful feather circles. But that is weird. You should send this pic to National Geographic magazine. Amazing.

If I walked up on that while going around the truck, I would piss myself. Then run. There is no way I would think it’s just a juvenile owl. I would think that a mutated peacock broke out of the genetics lab.

Thanks for the posts and updates @Sloppy Mexican
That is a typical Great Horned Owl defensive posture. Like many wild animals, it’s all about looking bigger and badder than you really are. Although, even a juvenile owl could probably fuck a predator up and make them think twice. The heart shaped feathers are just part of his wings, but fanned up to intimidate.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Most are nocturnal for the most part I believe. Or maybe not.
You are correct, most owl species do not become active until dusk at the earliest. The exception is the Snowy Owl whose natural camo allow it to hunt during daylight hours. Snowy Owls have the ability to hear mice burrowing under the snow and catch them without seeing them. I’m betting against the mouse in this pic.
F987F5BF-4C65-4767-B1DC-C7D182C54937.jpeg

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Big update for the regulars.

Puppy is now perching on the edge of the basket and mama visited this afternoon but did not feed. Mama is clearly trying to coax Puppy down to the ground, it’s time to learn how to hunt!
View attachment 8955
Puppy’s sibling flew down today and is now on the ground in my neighbors yard. You can tell this dude has had mama’s full attention as he seems to be more developed than Puppy, and not to mention mean as damn rattlesnake. I got within about 10 yards and he assumed an owls defensive posture and began hissing and clicking his beak. Puppy isn’t far behind.
View attachment 8956
Amazing how aware and afraid of humans this bird is compared to Puppy, although Puppy doesn’t much like anyone getting too close anymore either. I think Puppy will be gone from the basket for good in the coming days, and hopefully will learn to hunt and become the badass motherfucker he is destined to be.
I never knew they bowed up like that. Looks like a cartoon tank with smoking treads. Cool pic.

That baby raptor is ready to fuck up your world.

RHT 3

Elite
OK I forgot my password for a bit, got busy with moving and shit, but I'm back in here .

That owl went from cute to psycho in a few frames. Damn. And his brother is a full on meth head.

Bro I'm carrying a gun anytime I go out there from now on. Or a baseball bat. These are wild animals and do not underestimate them.

In other words, don't be shocked when your pet killer bird goes killer bird on your ass.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
OK I forgot my password for a bit, got busy with moving and shit, but I'm back in here .

That owl went from cute to psycho in a few frames. Damn. And his brother is a full on meth head.

Bro I'm carrying a gun anytime I go out there from now on. Or a baseball bat. These are wild animals and do not underestimate them.

In other words, don't be shocked when your pet killer bird goes killer bird on your ass.
When I was younger, still living at home, their was a red winged black bird at my moms house that would non-stop attack you if you were wearing anything red. I forgot this one Sunday wearing my Red Tiger Woods hat and that fucker was on a mission for my head. Ended up throwing the hat towards the pool and he didn’t stop going for it for another ten minutes.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder

I am very wary, especially of brother, mom and dad. I think if I tried, I could still put Puppy on my glove, but I don’t want her imprinting on me anymore than absolutely necessary. At this point, handling her would be detrimental.

MikeHunt78

Poster
3237.gif

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
It’s official! Puppy has left the nest! Was making coffee this morning and noticed she was out of the basket. I looked up the tree and saw her flapping her wings and kind of climbing/flying up the tree. Pretty awesome to see, feel like I just dropped my child off at college! 😂

will try to get some pics later.....

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
It’s official! Puppy has left the nest! Was making coffee this morning and noticed she was out of the basket. I looked up the tree and saw her flapping her wings and kind of climbing/flying up the tree. Pretty awesome to see, feel like I just dropped my child off at college! 😂

Some how i missed this thread. I live in the edge of country and was wondering why I was hearing whoot owls all night every night in my yard. Now I know. Great job Sloppy.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder

Where's big bro? You need me to send some of my security people over?

FLOP JOHNSON

Poster

where them pics at

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Getting a helluva show this evening! Puppy’s brother did not go very far, he is actively hunting! Just saw him nail a bird, fly across my yard with it in his talons and then make a quick meal out of it. Mama and dad owl are close by teaching. Puppy is about a week behind brother’s progress so the next couple of weeks should be amazing.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Getting a helluva show this evening! Puppy’s brother did not go very far, he is actively hunting! Just saw him nail a bird, fly across my yard with it in his talons and then make a quick meal out of it. Mama and dad owl are close by teaching. Puppy is about a week behind brother’s progress so the next couple of weeks should be amazing.
1614987751296.gif

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
@Sloppy Mexican get ITT with some pics and stories, unless of course Puppy was summarily executed by her big brother. Don’t tell us that story- make something else up instead
Not a ton of new info to report. Puppy and her sibling are still hanging out in the live oaks in my front yard. Mama owl is busy teaching them to hunt, so lots of flying around. Doubtful I will ever have any sort of close interaction with Ouppy moving forward, which is the way it should be.

RHT 3

Elite
Not a ton of new info to report. Puppy and her sibling are still hanging out in the live oaks in my front yard. Mama owl is busy teaching them to hunt, so lots of flying around. Doubtful I will ever have any sort of close interaction with Ouppy moving forward, which is the way it should be.

Maybe / maybe not. Owls are very smart. Puppy may remember you is some way. Maybe he'll stop by every now and then. Maybe leave him a treat in his old bed to see.

I fed feral kittens one time from the time they were probably 6 weeks old on my back porch. They were tiny and momma ate food I put out. Then they started coming up every day. Eventually they let me pet them while eating. These were wild ass , raised in a shed in the woods feral cats.

Animals can sense things we can't. Like whether or not you are a friendly person.

Puppy will return one day. Just watch.

Top Bottom