Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How much "power" does the president have?

Crich73

Poster
So, i have been having a series of conversations with a lifelong friend. He has maintained (prior to trump) that the president has very limited power, and is more of a figurehead than anything else. Now, we arent talking about launching nukes, but rather in term of legislation and policy. From my understanding a president maynot sit down and write up a bill, but rather dictate what his goals are for a specific piece of legislation and have members of Congress or Senate draft something.

Do i have this generally right, or did i miss the mark? Is my buddy correct, or is he downplaying the importance of the presidency?

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
In your example above, yes, the President CAN NOT draft legislation or a bill. Now he can sponsor or come out in support of a bill. But not actually craft one.
Only the Senate or House can craft a bill.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
So, i have been having a series of conversations with a lifelong friend. He has maintained (prior to trump) that the president has very limited power, and is more of a figurehead than anything else. Now, we arent talking about launching nukes, but rather in term of legislation and policy. From my understanding a president maynot sit down and write up a bill, but rather dictate what his goals are for a specific piece of legislation and have members of Congress or Senate draft something.

Do i have this generally right, or did i miss the mark? Is my buddy correct, or is he downplaying the importance of the presidency?
I got you bro. See the link on how a bill works. President can recommend/dictate/sponsor BUT cannot ever write legislation. That being said The Presidents powers have be incorrectly/illegally restricted over the last 30-40 years by corrupt politicians.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Well he can also weaponize the 3-letter agencies against his political opponents, which is rather significant.

Also, he is only limited in his powers if another branch actually holds him accountable. Unfortunately the establishment only does this in one direction, protecting itself and its power and we the people get fucked every time.

Rube Reaper

Elite
Congress should pass a law making it so presidents can’t use executive orders for authoritarian purposes or to stymie progress.

For example, the orange man shouldn’t have been able to use his executive authority to draft an order to build his worthless racist wall.

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder
Start here. https://constitutioncenter.org/the-constitution/articles/article-ii. The president is not supposed to have much power at all. He can't make laws of direct funding, as that belongs to congress.

This is one of the things I really like about Trump. He was trying to make congress do their job. Too often Congress wants to pass responsibility to the presidency because it is the easy way out and they don't have to compromise. Presidents with power over laws, money, and people is not how the framers of the Constitution envisioned the future

Also, he is only limited in his powers if another branch actually holds him accountable. Unfortunately the establishment only does this in one direction, protecting itself and its power and we the people get fucked every time.
very true, he is only as powerful as they let him be.

Congress should pass a law making it so presidents can’t use executive orders for authoritarian purposes or to stymie progress.

For example, the orange man shouldn’t have been able to use his executive authority to draft an order to build his worthless racist wall.
nor should have obama been able to do 90% of the BS he did, as another example..................but agreed, presidents should not be able to do whatever through executive order

Rube Reaper

Elite
nor should have obama been able to do 90% of the BS he did, as another example..................but agreed, presidents should not be able to do whatever through executive order
What do you mean?

Obama was a great president! His problem is he didn’t push the envelope far enough or use his executive powers enough.

Presidents who do good, like Obama and Biden, should use executive orders whenever possible. It’s president like the orange fascist or that hilly from Texas that should have their powers restricted by Congress.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
Start here. https://constitutioncenter.org/the-constitution/articles/article-ii. The president is not supposed to have much power at all. He can't make laws of direct funding, as that belongs to congress.

This is one of the things I really like about Trump. He was trying to make congress do their job. Too often Congress wants to pass responsibility to the presidency because it is the easy way out and they don't have to compromise. Presidents with power over laws, money, and people is not how the framers of the Constitution envisioned the future
Absolutely……in a perfect America…..3 equal branches will be doing their part to make the machine work. Unfortunately we probably haven’t had all 3 working positively for America together at the same time in 100 years. But God would it be great to get back to it. Also, holding people accountable (which the founders were very much in favor of) for their deeds and actions.

Anyone can draft legislation. That just means writing a proposed law down on a piece of paper. If I am mistaken, please tell me which law prevents me from writing what I want on a piece of paper?

Top Bottom